Return to Baseball Leftovers

The Other Ricky

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: The Other Ricky

Postby AquaMan2342 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:41 pm

rookies and cream wrote:Pretty even so far...

No doubt. :-b
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -120)
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Postby mweir145 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:28 pm

garf112 wrote:i would hold him. i don't think you can get good value for him until he shuts down some of the big guns in the AL East. It can be done. Look at what Garza is doing right now.

Yeah, Matt Garza has actually been really good in his career against both the Sox and Yankees. He seems to be the rare guy that steps his game up against them.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: -320)

Postby HighHeater » Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:54 pm

would Garza be a fair comp with Romero if he proves himself this year?
HighHeater
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby mweir145 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:00 pm

HighHeater wrote:would Garza be a fair comp with Romero if he proves himself this year?

I was just discussing this with some Jays fans. I'd say the 08/09 version of Garza would be a fair comp, yeah (in fact, as I mentioned earlier, Romero had a better xFIP than Garza even last year).

But I still think we haven't seen the best of Garza yet.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby kab21 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:28 am

mweir145 wrote:
HighHeater wrote:would Garza be a fair comp with Romero if he proves himself this year?

I was just discussing this with some Jays fans. I'd say the 08/09 version of Garza would be a fair comp, yeah (in fact, as I mentioned earlier, Romero had a better xFIP than Garza even last year).

But I still think we haven't seen the best of Garza yet.

In almost no way are Garza and Romero comps. They are completely different pitchers. Garza wants to throw his fastball all the time and Romero has a nice mix of pitches. Garza was able to cruise thru the minors on that fastball alone (and dominated unlike Romero) and that left his secondary pitches undeveloped even though they were fairly decent (just no confidence in them). He also has a chance to take the next step and move up to the near elite starters. romero is more like a James Shields (although I'm terrible at comps). He's someone that doesn't have the great upside but should be a consistent 3.75-4+ ERA guy for several years with a .500ish record.
My website - The World Is Not That Big
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 108)

Postby AquaMan2342 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:55 am

kab21 wrote: romero is more like a James Shields (although I'm terrible at comps). He's someone that doesn't have the great upside but should be a consistent 3.75-4+ ERA guy for several years with a .500ish record.

I think Romero can be more than this. Maybe the .500ish record but that's out of his control. A plus-plus change (as weir noted he wasn't even throwing it that well today) with the ability to induce ground balls is such a dangerous combination and it looks like he has found it. Not to mention it looks like he's mixing in a cut fastball this year. I know his minor league numbers aren't spectacular, but to say he can't be a great pitcher in the majors because of his MiLB stats is misguided IMO. Again, I'm not going all OMG GENERATIONAL TALENT on him, just saying that he has the tools to be an ace....whether or not he can build off of this start remains to be seen.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -120)
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Postby kab21 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:35 am

AquaMan2342 wrote:
kab21 wrote: romero is more like a James Shields (although I'm terrible at comps). He's someone that doesn't have the great upside but should be a consistent 3.75-4+ ERA guy for several years with a .500ish record.

I think Romero can be more than this. Maybe the .500ish record but that's out of his control. A plus-plus change (as weir noted he wasn't even throwing it that well today) with the ability to induce ground balls is such a dangerous combination and it looks like he has found it. Not to mention it looks like he's mixing in a cut fastball this year. I know his minor league numbers aren't spectacular, but to say he can't be a great pitcher in the majors because of his MiLB stats is misguided IMO. Again, I'm not going all OMG GENERATIONAL TALENT on him, just saying that he has the tools to be an ace....whether or not he can build off of this start remains to be seen.

he gets a lot of GB's but he doesn't get a lot of K's (avg amount) and he gives a fair share of walks. And there isn't anything that says those are going to change and that limits his upside quite a bit.
My website - The World Is Not That Big
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 108)

Postby mweir145 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:26 pm

kab21 wrote:In almost no way are Garza and Romero comps. They are completely different pitchers.

My statement was in reference to their possible fantasy production, not their similarity (or dissimilarity) as pitchers. I thought that was obvious.

Garza wants to throw his fastball all the time and Romero has a nice mix of pitches. Garza was able to cruise thru the minors on that fastball alone (and dominated unlike Romero) and that left his secondary pitches undeveloped even though they were fairly decent (just no confidence in them). He also has a chance to take the next step and move up to the near elite starters.

Agreed. I still think Garza has enormous potential, which is why I've looked to draft him the past few years.

romero is more like a James Shields (although I'm terrible at comps). He's someone that doesn't have the great upside but should be a consistent 3.75-4+ ERA guy for several years with a .500ish record.

It's incredibly hard to say what Romero's upside actually is, IMO. He's a much different pitcher than he was in the minors, both in terms of stuff and confidence on the mound. In fact, I've pretty much started ignoring his minor league stats before 2008 when evaluating him.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby mweir145 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:34 pm

kab21 wrote:
AquaMan2342 wrote:

he gets a lot of GB's but he doesn't get a lot of K's (avg amount) and he gives a fair share of walks. And there isn't anything that says those are going to change and that limits his upside quite a bit.

His BB/9 has declined from 5.20 in 2007 (AA) to 4.15 in 2008 (AA/AAA) to 3.99 in 2009 (MLB). He's at 2.35 this year.

Who is to say it doesn't decline again? He's only 25.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby mweir145 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:05 pm

Another good start against the Rays...he didn't command his off-speed pitches but still went 7 IP, 2 ER and got 12 GB off a very good team.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers