Return to Baseball Leftovers

What are the "unwritten rules" of fantasy baseball?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: What are the "unwritten rules" of fantasy baseball?

Postby kaiser » Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:01 pm

saemick wrote:I had this happen to me in the championship weeks last year. The guy I was playing basically left an open spot on his roster and picked up a different SP (or 2) each day with the best matchup just so he could try to win at K's, W, etc... In the last week, he even resorted to dropping GOOD pitchers b/c they were done for the fantasy season and replaced them with someone who would get him another start...

I was actually forced to look ahead to see who was pitching 2 days out, grab them, and immediately drop them, just so he would STOP streaming. Normally I would never just pick someone up, only to drop them, but when it's the only way to block someone else from basically cheating to win the championship...it kinda forces your hand.

BTW, this year we have instilled a new rule where we have a limit of 3 player adds per week, this should hopefuly curtail this practice

I don't know, guys. Someone will have to really put up a good argument to convince me that this is "basically cheating," as the poster above claims. If you are willing to assume the risk involved with picking up a large number of lower-rated pitchers in an attempt to gain more starts and possibly better counting stats, shouldn't that be your prerogative?

I mean, obviously, if you want to stop this from happening, you add a maximum starts limit to your league rules, either on a weekly basis (max starts per week) or for the whole season (180 is the standard, I think?).
kaiser
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 171)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jcook3127 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:34 pm

lastingsgriller wrote:in our league, we dispise all such nonsense. play right, don't try to cheat the system.. to combat this we've implemented the following rule in our league charter. try it in your league, it can eliminate some controversy..

"Day Trading

Day trading (adding a player in the last days of a matchup in order to try to catch up/win categories) is not allowed.

In 2009 this is being regulated by the commissioner. IF necessary, a more formal rule will be implemented prior to 2010 with league input welcomed as far as how the rule should be constructed.

NOTE 1 (est. 2010): If you add a pitcher, either a SP or RP, on Friday or later in an existing matchup, you may not put that pitcher in your starting lineup until the following weeks matchup unless you're replacing an injured player that was scheduled to start Friday, Saturday, or Sunday or replacing an injured reliever. Will be enforced by the teams involved in the matchup."

I'm sorry...actually, I'm not sorry...this is absolute garbage..

Streaming pitchers is not IN ANY WAY unethical. AT ANY TIME...IN ANY FORMAT..PERIOD.

the person streaming pitchers takes a risk...The risk lies in activating and starting pitchers that by definition alone nobody wants enough to play for their team. They are also having to dump players that they previously felt were rosterable, and perhaps others do as well. Now, you may say there's no risk in 5x5 if the guy is out of it in ERA/WHIP and just needs a shot at a win or a few K's.....then counter it. Get some more K's yourself...are you willing to take the same risk? Are you willing to jeopardize your sparking ERA/WHIP?....Hell...are you benching starters ON YOUR OWN TEAM just to make sure your Ratios stay a step ahead, KNOWING FULL WELL that he's defenseless due to your league's craptastic rules??

You may say it "cheapens the game"....I say it makes the game harder...predicting what terrible pitchers will do.

You might as well not even have roster moves...lets just lock everything in after draft day and see where they stand..you're playing the cheap game, buddy.

Churning, absolutely unethical....because you're not trying to do anything other than use the system to hurt a team..streaming? Not a chance. If somebody wants to have 1 point next to their names in ERA/WHIP, they have every right and it's not immoral in the slightest. Churning takes competition away. Churning doesn't give competition a chance. Streaming is the definition of competition. Making a sacrifice (however small or big that may be) because you're not ready to give up on your team that week.

PEACE
Why don't they just get a house that's already painted?
jcook3127
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -3)

Postby kaiser » Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:44 pm

I think JCook just nailed it. Amen.
kaiser
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Fpower » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:26 pm

The reason streaming sucks in H2H is pretty obvious: it makes drafting SP pointless. If I draft great starters, I still lose Ks and Ws to the guy who starts five new SPs every day. So those great starters I took in the draft have been completely negated, and are therefore wasted picks. The solution? No one should draft any starters.

But...completely marginalizing a vital part of real baseball, starting pitching, isn't fun to most people who play fantasy baseball. Hence the reason there are often rules put in place to stop streamers.
Fpower
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Syfo-Dyas » Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:35 am

Fpower wrote:The reason streaming sucks in H2H is pretty obvious: it makes drafting SP pointless. If I draft great starters, I still lose Ks and Ws to the guy who starts five new SPs every day. So those great starters I took in the draft have been completely negated, and are therefore wasted picks. The solution? No one should draft any starters.

But...completely marginalizing a vital part of real baseball, starting pitching, isn't fun to most people who play fantasy baseball. Hence the reason there are often rules put in place to stop streamers.

;-D
This is what I was goin to say. Actually I already said this a couple of years back here.
If I stream, in a 12 team H2H league I can take stud hitters in the first 5-6 rounds, and 4 top closers and more hitters, with the next 4-6 picks, and round out my hitting from the next wave of good hitters, with lost of SB potential, and another late closer or two to the bench. And the advantage is that I can reach for everybody.
Then, at the end I just get some crap starters, use them as a revolving door, and pick up 4 starters a day during the season. 28 starts!
No pitching staff can fight that.
Game over.
Streaming sucks. Streamers should play in their own leagues against each other.
the awesome sig by soty

"You should be mindful of the future, but not at the expense of the
moment." - Qui-Gon Jinn (keeper league expert?)
Syfo-Dyas
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -6)

Postby OneLoveBoomer » Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:13 am

What's the typical line for a waiver wire start on any given night in a deep league, though? For instance, look at tomorrow's available probable pitchers in your league. I'm probably happy if my opponent is starting one of them :-o :-°
OneLoveBoomer
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -15)

Postby jcook3127 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 5:06 am

Syfo-Dyas wrote:
Fpower wrote:The reason streaming sucks in H2H is pretty obvious: it makes drafting SP pointless. If I draft great starters, I still lose Ks and Ws to the guy who starts five new SPs every day. So those great starters I took in the draft have been completely negated, and are therefore wasted picks. The solution? No one should draft any starters.

;-D
This is what I was goin to say. Actually I already said this a couple of years back here.
If I stream, in a 12 team H2H league I can take stud hitters in the first 5-6 rounds, and 4 top closers and more hitters, with the next 4-6 picks, and round out my hitting from the next wave of good hitters, with lost of SB potential, and another late closer or two to the bench. And the advantage is that I can reach for everybody.
Then, at the end I just get some crap starters, use them as a revolving door, and pick up 4 starters a day during the season. 28 starts!
No pitching staff can fight that.
Game over.
Streaming sucks. Streamers should play in their own leagues against each other.

Doing that TO SOME EXTENT is not a bad idea to begin with...

As somebody who has spotted more than a couple guys in a single day, I can tell you straight off I would love not to have to stream...I would love to get my clean 45 innings (our H2H inning minimum) and be done with it...but when things aren't panning out, I definitely will look to the waiver wire if it makes sense....sitting still when your guys are getting blown up is not an option to me. I always want to weigh the options, what can I do here to get some wins.

Of course it takes some thought....because I'm obviously thinking in the back of my head, if I get a couple gems here, I'm right back in this for ERA/WHIP...so I don't just grab somebody just for the sake of it, I can look at splits, etc. and help me find the best probable line.

But yea, Basically your post says you should punt ERA/WHIP....people punt Steals, People punt saves....a lot of people don't advise punting, a lot of people swear by it...but at the end of the day, these are all viable strategies..

I would never go into a season with my plan being exactly what you just laid out.ht While I think it might pretty successful, planning on doing this every week wouldn't be fun to me. Like I said, I draft my team in the hopes that it will put up the all around best fantasy lines...but if it gets to Thursday and ERA/WHIP look like long shots and W and K are close...then I have every right to tell my opponent he can sleep easy on ERA/WHIP....I'm conceding cats to him...and he has every right to come along for the ride if he wants to drop some of his players and not take the two category gift...

So, in closing (this post is all over the place)..I would never really support nor would I ever totally ignore SP in the draft just to become a "FULL TIME streamer"...if somebody does that, More power to them, I wouldn't have a problem with that, it's a strategy. I realize a lot of people think it's gay and takes away from the fun...to me, it would just make it all that sweeter to stick it to that guy.
Why don't they just get a house that's already painted?
jcook3127
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -3)

Postby Garry26 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:13 am

After 9-10yrs playing fantasy baseball, I think Ive seen maybe 3-4 good trades (offers included).

So I'd say an unwritten rules are:
-Assume all trade offers are a screw job attempt. Your job is to find out why, and perhaps turn it against him.
-Always veto.

Note: Ive never done a pay league. Maybe this "all trades are bs" mentality changes when theres a chance at winning money.
I love mock drafts.
Garry26
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 36)

Postby kaiser » Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:21 am

Garry26 wrote:After 9-10yrs playing fantasy baseball, I think Ive seen maybe 3-4 good trades (offers included).

So I'd say an unwritten rules are:
-Assume all trade offers are a screw job attempt. Your job is to find out why, and perhaps turn it against him.
-Always veto.

Note: Ive never done a pay league. Maybe this "all trades are bs" mentality changes when theres a chance at winning money.

"Always veto?" Man, I bet it's a lot of fun to play in a league with you.
kaiser
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Frenchiegangsta9 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:57 am

kaiser wrote:I think JCook just nailed it. Amen.

can i get another amen? Jcook, you have achieved literary perfection.
Frenchiegangsta9
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 5)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers