Return to Baseball Leftovers

Royals Infield Playing Time

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Royals Infield Playing Time

Postby rich101682 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:45 am

Prepping for my draft in a 20 team league. I'm trying to make backup plans in case the MI's I'm targeting are all gone early.

We're an OBP league, so Mike Aviles, Alberto Callaspo and Chris Getz could all be serviceable. I know all 3 will be playing while Alex Gordon is out. Who goes to the bench when he comes back?
rich101682
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Royals Infield Playing Time

Postby haymarket » Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:55 am

Is Aviles gonna start at short? I figured Betancourt would be. These are the Royals after all.
haymarket
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Tavish » Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:01 am

rich101682 wrote:Prepping for my draft in a 20 team league. I'm trying to make backup plans in case the MI's I'm targeting are all gone early.

We're an OBP league, so Mike Aviles, Alberto Callaspo and Chris Getz could all be serviceable. I know all 3 will be playing while Alex Gordon is out. Who goes to the bench when he comes back?

The way it looks right now it will be Callaspo will be playing 3rd, Betancourt playing SS, Getz playing 2B. Aviles' arm just doesn't seem recovered enough even though his bat is red hot this spring. Callaspo will get full ABs even when Gordon is back (likely split time between DH, 2B, and 3B) and he is the only one in the group with that security.
Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -511)

Postby haymarket » Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:12 am

Is Fields just a bench player then?
haymarket
College Coach
College Coach

Postby rich101682 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:23 am

haymarket wrote:Is Fields just a bench player then?

I would think Getz would be safe for PT too. He gets on base at a decent clip and can steal a good number of bases.
rich101682
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby kab21 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:26 am

Tavish wrote:
rich101682 wrote:Prepping for my draft in a 20 team league. I'm trying to make backup plans in case the MI's I'm targeting are all gone early.

The way it looks right now it will be Callaspo will be playing 3rd, Betancourt playing SS, Getz playing 2B. Aviles' arm just doesn't seem recovered enough even though his bat is red hot this spring. Callaspo will get full ABs even when Gordon is back (likely split time between DH, 2B, and 3B) and he is the only one in the group with that security.

I've been thinking the same about Callaspo. He's gotta play somewhere since he's one of the few decent hitters on the team. If Aviles arm is weak what stops him from moving over to 2B if he's got the better bat?
My website - The World Is Not That Big
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 108)

Postby wrveres » Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:29 am

kab21 wrote:I've been thinking the same about Callaspo. He's gotta play somewhere since he's one of the few decent hitters on the team. If Aviles arm is weak what stops him from moving over to 2B if he's got the better bat?

Getz has the better glove
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: -313)

Postby kab21 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:49 am

wrveres wrote:
kab21 wrote:I've been thinking the same about Callaspo. He's gotta play somewhere since he's one of the few decent hitters on the team. If Aviles arm is weak what stops him from moving over to 2B if he's got the better bat?

Getz will also OPS about .700 (defense only takes you so far). And Aviles is capable of SS so I'm not sure he's that much of a weaker fielder.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby wrveres » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:20 am

kab21 wrote:
wrveres wrote:

Getz will also OPS about .700 (defense only takes you so far). And Aviles is capable of SS so I'm not sure he's that much of a weaker fielder.

im not running the team. everything i have read says Getz is the man at 2B because of his glove
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: -313)

Postby kab21 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:40 am

wrveres wrote:im not running the team. everything i have read says Getz is the man at 2B because of his glove

Yes but that is opening day. What happens when he's got a <.700 OPS and they can't get Aviles or Callaspo onto the field? I really don't see Getz getting 400 AB's unless Callaspo and Aviles are playing elsewhere on the field.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers