Return to Baseball Leftovers

At the draft table...funny stories

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: At the draft table...funny stories

Postby Neato Torpedo » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:54 am

Back in 2007 two guys got in a fistfight over Brandon Webb. ;-D It's reasons like this that I like live, in person drafts better than online ones.
Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -52)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Element » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:43 am

Our auction is this Saturday and I can't wait! There's nothing like hanging out with close friends, talking baseball and tipping a 'few' back. Sometimes, someone tips back a few too many. About 8 years ago a guy in our league drafted Andruw Jones and spent a pretty penny doing so. The guy next to him says, "You'd blow all your money on him, huh?". His belligerent response? "Yeah, I'd blow him".

8-o 8-o 8-o 8-o 8-o 8-o

Needless to say he has never lived it down. He also never owned Andruw again.

:-D
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 28)

Postby Pochucker » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:10 pm

In all honesty if we didnt have a live draft I probably wouldnt play anymore --going back to faceless dull or moronic leagues does not appeal to me. Anyone who hasnt experienced a live draft is missing a huge part of the experience. This was our eighth live draft this yr with basically same guys for last six. We range from 38yrs old to 69 (almost 70). Had one new guy this yr because member had seroious medical problems and had to with draw. Replaced him with a local police officer who knew some of the other members. After the draft they told me how he was sweating like a pig and leg jumping he was so nervous.
We draft in cafeteria where I work so no booze allowed. The high light this year was when I got frustrated at someone taking player right before me and I slammed through my pen down on table in front of me and went on profanity laced tirade. When I did pen shattered stuck one the guys at the table in the forehead with the tip. He looks at and says "jeez didnt know had to wear my safety glasses to the draft!"
Is just a riot. Introduced new method for determining draft position this year which guys loved. Took deck of cards took out 12cards marked each teams name on one then took out 12spades A thru Q spread them out face down. TRhen drew a card to see what player got to draw first. That way more players got chance for 1. \We drew this yrs position and half way through draft we drew for next yrs position. That got down to two of us two cards were left 10th and first I got to pick had 50/50 shot and got 1st. Other guy had got first 3 of last four yrs and would have been 4 out of 5 if he had gotten it --but thayts why i came up with this system to derail him and it almost backfired. You can just imagine hooting hollering insulting as all this goes on. At my age this is best day of year.
I work with Joe Nathans Uncle and even though he is not in our Fantasy League we always had one guy who worked for him who would always take Joe Nathan third rd just so he could tell him.. You can imagine the names we called him. I ended up throwing him out of league for incompetence!
Last edited by Pochucker on Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pochucker
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -10)

Return to Baseball Leftovers