Return to Baseball Leftovers

Randy Ruiz

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Randy Ruiz

Postby Francisco » Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:38 pm

It's not his gaudy spring stats. No, I just have a feeling this guy can hit. Any other believers out there?
Francisco
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Randy Ruiz

Postby silverZ » Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:12 pm

The biggest problem with Ruiz right now is playing time. It's most likely going to take an Overbay trade/injury for him to get a shot at fulltime AB's. Then he's going to have to worry about Brett Wallace breathing down his neck. I think he's a .270 25-30 HR guy if he ever got 550 AB. Worth a flier in some leagues.
Here's the pitch on the way, a swing and a belt! Left field! Way back! BLUE JAYS WIN!
silverZ
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 48)

Postby Grounded Polo » Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:15 pm

He'd have a hard time holding off top prospect Brett Wallace if he did pass Overbay and it's not like DH is available.
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -12)

Postby MasterX1918 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:39 pm

He sort of reminds me of a shorter, right handed David Ortiz. Late bloomer, let go by the Twins, lots of power potential, can't really field his position. The only problem is Ruiz is already 32 and doesn't have a job, too bad because he can rake.
MasterX1918
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: -10)

Postby jake_twothousandfive » Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:40 pm

He's already past his prime. He never got a chance to show what he could do in the majors. His body type suggests he's going to start breaking down sooner rather than later which doesn't bode well for either his playing time now or in the future.

It'd be a nice story to see him succeed, but he's an aging journeyman who strikes out too often. I'll pass.
"Don't take anything for granted, because tomorrow is not promised to any of us." ---Kirby Puckett
jake_twothousandfive
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -63)

Postby Maris09 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:50 am

I think he gets a shot and gets a good amount of PT at DH.
Maris09
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 5)

Postby SpecialFNK » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:41 pm

Ruiz is someone ive argued about all winter on Jays forums. i think he deserves a shot playing regular and could have monster numbers!
hes 32 so age will be a factor in the future, but not right now. he could still have atleast 2-3 years of big numbers.
some have argued that it took him so long to even reach the majors, but thats not his fault. he has had some monster seasons in the minors.. especially the last 2 seasons, plus in winter ball. in winter ball he also played some LF and lost some weight to be in the best shape of his career.
there were also rumours of steroid use back in i think it was 2004? or sometime around then a few years ago. i would think he either did not do steriods, or would be off them by now with all the testing.
beating out Overbay IMO shouldnt be a problem, or platooning at the very least. Overbay cant hit LHP period and should not see any action against LHP this season at all.
SpecialFNK
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 38)

Return to Baseball Leftovers