Return to Baseball Leftovers

No Bumgarner in Yahoo

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

No Bumgarner in Yahoo

Postby Arrowhead Nation » Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:10 am

Any other leagues missing his name in the player listing?
Arrowhead Nation
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -14)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: No Bumgarner in Yahoo

Postby Bloody Sox » Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:20 am

He is there in our league. Someone drafted him.
"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else"
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby MashinSpuds » Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:52 am

You probably searched for Buttgarner. It's not spelled that way.
MashinSpuds
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafecaster
(Past Year: 6)

Postby Fantasy Sports Genie » Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:26 am

He is indeed in our game, and has even hit the major league roster so should show in all leagues (well, not American league only leagues...) I could only urge you to try again; knowing how things work behind the scenes, it is hard to imagine how we could make a single player not show up in a single league.
Fantasy Sports Genie
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 22)

Postby GreenMtn! » Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:35 am

I had this problem and swore that i was going insane, but then realized it's because our league does not have P slots - only SP and RP roster slots. Bumgarner only has P eligibility, which means he doesn't show up yet.

Frankly, I think is is really stupid because other pitchers who haven't even pitched a game in the majors are eligible at SP or RP (Like Strasburg or Hellickson). This is really inconsistent on Yahoo's behalf and makes no sense at all.

Another pitcher who this effects is Daniel Hudson.
GreenMtn!
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 3)

Postby sooner711 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:54 am

GreenMtn! wrote:I had this problem and swore that i was going insane, but then realized it's because our league does not have P slots - only SP and RP roster slots. Bumgarner only has P eligibility, which means he doesn't show up yet.

Frankly, I think is is really stupid because other pitchers who haven't even pitched a game in the majors are eligible at SP or RP (Like Strasburg or Hellickson). This is really inconsistent on Yahoo's behalf and makes no sense at all.

Ah, that must be why he's not showing up in my league either...
sooner711
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -2)

Postby gws226 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:53 pm

One thing I've found is if I use the autofill, often the player doesn't show.

Last night I went searching to see if chris pérez was availble. I type perez, then select chris perez from the dropdown and select find player it will show no result. If I type perez, ignore the autofill and click Find Player he shows as available.
If you found my advice helpful, please help me
gws226
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -2)

Postby fezzik » Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:57 pm

gws226 wrote:One thing I've found is if I use the autofill, often the player doesn't show.

Last night I went searching to see if chris pérez was availble. I type perez, then select chris perez from the dropdown and select find player it will show no result. If I type perez, ignore the autofill and click Find Player he shows as available.

This happens to me regularly. I've learned to just filter by last name and select from the list, but it is a little annoying...I mean, it autofills the guy you want but brings back no results when you select him! :-b

GreenMtn! wrote:I had this problem and swore that i was going insane, but then realized it's because our league does not have P slots - only SP and RP roster slots. Bumgarner only has P eligibility, which means he doesn't show up yet.

Yeah, this is going to be the problem unless it's user error related.
fezzik
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: -3)

Postby Arrowhead Nation » Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:28 pm

We have a winner -- this is the problem. Our league also does not use the P slot. Genie, any way we can get this changed on these few pitchers?

GreenMtn, what did you guys do? Change a RP slot to P?
Arrowhead Nation
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -14)

Postby Fantasy Sports Genie » Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:43 pm

re: Perez and autofill
There is a bug I filed regarding this. The autofill is doing weird things for guys with special characters in their name. The front end guys are aware of it, and will hopefully fix it soon.

re: Bumgarner and P eligibility
Possible we'd fix this, but unlikely. The deal here is this: if we can look at what you did last year and glean your eligibility, we do so. But sometimes a player hasn't played enough the previous season to do so. What do we do then?
- Prior to last season, that player wouldn't enter the game at all. We'd wait until they pitched, and then use the position they played. According to the Cafe, this made us stupid, because now the pitcher has played, and isn't in our game yet.
- Starting last season, we took a different approach. If we can't look at past experience to determine eligibility, we trust the position stated by our stats provider, in an effort to get the player into the game as soon as possible. In the case of Bumgarner, our provider is stating that Bumgarner's role isn't clear, and he can't clearly be called a starter or a reliever. So he's just a P. This also makes us stupid apparently ;-), but claiming we are stupid because of inconsistency doesn't work well if the only alternative is for us to apply subjective logic and guess his position, even in the face of our stats provider already telling us his position is unclear. Effectively, the suggestion becomes, "You should be consistent and let Funston pick positions for players."

Good catch, by the way. I now remember seeing this issue last year for leagues that use LF, CF, RF when a player hasn't played enough to be slotted into one or more positions and is simply being called an OF.
Fantasy Sports Genie
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 22)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers