Return to Baseball Leftovers

Where Can I Find Draft Rankings for a KEEPER League???

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Where Can I Find Draft Rankings for a KEEPER League???

Postby NYMetsIn2k4 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:40 am

Well im doing my 1st EVER Keeper league and our Inaugural Draft is this upcoming SUNDAY. Ive glanced at my rankings but I want to construct some sort of Draft Rankings based off the fact that it is infact a Keeper League with 4 added stats, Hits + OPS for hitters and Losses + K/9 for Pitchers.

I have the 6th overall pick and im thinking about taking Braun (DEFINITELY if hes there), but assuming Braun will be gone, either Fielder OR Longoria. Im torn on these 2 studs! Anyways, not the point. Thanks for ANY links or anything at all you can provide me with to help out.

Im also curious, if there is no link for this sort of topic, how much does one ussually need to reach to land their guy in a keeper? For example, if i MUST HAVE Matt Weiters, do i reach 1 round? or 2 full rounds? Just curious! I know this may not be the right forum but itll just get buried in other forums and atleast i know here, itll get answers, thanks!!!
10-Team 8x8 h2h

C VMart
1B MCab
2B Stewart
3B Zimmerman
SS Ramirez
OF Manny,BJUpton,Braun
Ut Rios
Ut Pierre
BN Quentin,Snider,Berkman,Bruce

SP Kershaw,Gallardo,Hanson,Liriano,Holland,JGarcia,Romero
RP KRod,Marmol,Feliz,Wagner,Dotel
DL BAnderson
NYMetsIn2k4
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Where Can I Find Draft Rankings for a KEEPER League???

Postby horatio » Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:54 am

The internet age started over 40 years ago Hoss.

http://sports.espn.go.com/fantasy/baseb ... 200keepers
horatio
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -3)

Postby fezzik » Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:15 am

I would just tweak whatever your redraft rankings are. Bump up young studs. Reach a bit on young guys who you personally think can/will break out or continue to perform (for me it's guys like Carlos Gonzalez and Julio Borbon). Bump long-in-the-tooth vets down a bit, but not an unreasonable amount...this includes guys like Chipper Jones, Manny Ramirez, etc. I wouldn't really move around the rankings of anyone else, but you also have to monitor the ebb and flow of the draft...try to find deals. If everyone is reaching for youth too much, don't be afraid to target solid veterans who will still be good for a few more years, etc.

Braun, Fielder, or Longoria all sound like good picks there. I would obviously prefer Braun as well.
fezzik
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby Matthias » Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:17 am

Thing is, unless it's a massive 25 keeper dynasty league, it's easier to get carried away picking players for the future versus just picking boring guys like Todd Helton or Adam LaRoche who all they do is produce good stats that let you win the league. If you're just keeping 3 or 4, I might bump up a few spots some younger guys like Longoria but overall just ignore the keeper aspect. You'll find your keepers anyway.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -34)

Postby Element » Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:50 am

Matthias wrote:Thing is, unless it's a massive 25 keeper dynasty league, it's easier to get carried away picking players for the future versus just picking boring guys like Todd Helton or Adam LaRoche who all they do is produce good stats that let you win the league. If you're just keeping 3 or 4, I might bump up a few spots some younger guys like Longoria but overall just ignore the keeper aspect. You'll find your keepers anyway.

I agree. Unless you keep a large percentage of your roster, don't get too caught up in the younger players. It's a common mistake that most owners make and guys like Manny will fall a tad and become a major bargain. It's good to take a chance on a couple of younger stars that you believe in, but make sure you have a good mix. If you only keep 6-8 players, don't change things too much. You'll have plenty of guys worth holding over for next year.
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 28)

Postby Matthias » Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:24 am

Element wrote:
Matthias wrote:Thing is, unless it's a massive 25 keeper dynasty league, it's easier to get carried away picking players for the future versus just picking boring guys like Todd Helton or Adam LaRoche who all they do is produce good stats that let you win the league. If you're just keeping 3 or 4, I might bump up a few spots some younger guys like Longoria but overall just ignore the keeper aspect. You'll find your keepers anyway.

I agree. Unless you keep a large percentage of your roster, don't get too caught up in the younger players. It's a common mistake that most owners make and guys like Manny will fall a tad and become a major bargain. It's good to take a chance on a couple of younger stars that you believe in, but make sure you have a good mix. If you only keep 6-8 players, don't change things too much. You'll have plenty of guys worth holding over for next year.

Yah. This year, for example, one of my keepers was Nelson Cruz. He's not particularly young, but he had a great year last year relative to where he was drafted. And you'll find those players every year that have a big breakout: Josh Hamilton, Carlos Quentin, Tulo, Ryan Zimmerman, etc., etc. Moreover, you'll find that over half the keepers you keep at the end of a year are not the guys you drafted as keepers. You'll have young guys like Chris B. Young or Chris Davis or Alex Gordon that people will draft as young, emerging studs that will just continually disappoint.

In short, young guys are much more volatile than older ones. You might want to draft a few that you really believe in and are about to break out but I wouldn't structure my draft strategy around it.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -34)

Postby fezzik » Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:21 pm

Yeah, I was assuming you would be keeping 10+ guys, so my post was written to that effect. The tweaking up and down shouldn't be a major thing. You still want to win this season, and like others have said...if you're not keeping that many, don't adjust your rankings at all.
fezzik
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby NYMetsIn2k4 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:10 pm

fezzik wrote:Yeah, I was assuming you would be keeping 10+ guys, so my post was written to that effect. The tweaking up and down shouldn't be a major thing. You still want to win this season, and like others have said...if you're not keeping that many, don't adjust your rankings at all.

Were only keeping 5 Players so according to what you guys have suggested, just draft with my original draft sheet and adjust 1 or 2 players that i view as emerging young studs but for the most part, the draft is just business as usual? Thanks for the helpful suggestions guys!

The players im looking to adjust are Clayton Kershaw, Jay Bruce, and Matt Wieters. I view all 3 of them as 1st/2nd rounders next season so i want to acquire them now but im not sure how much i should reach to nab them. Weiters goes the highest of the 3 (according to MDP) at 86, so i plan on grabbing him earliest 5th (62nd pick) and latest 6th (79th pick). Kershaws next at 92, so i can grab him in the 6th (79th) or risk it and wait till the 7th rd @ the 90th pick overall. As for Bruce, his MDP is 108 so to be safe, i would have to grab him in the 7th @ the 90th overall pick. As you can see, these 3 guys draft spots would conflict so either 1 of 2 things is going to happen. either one, i wont land all of them and ill make due with which ones i land, or two, i go 5th Wieters, 6th Kershaw, and 7th Bruce. and that way, i land all 3 of them and have a sick young core, but im not sure if i wanna commit this much of my draft to young emerging stars who may or may not pan out. we shall see!
10-Team 8x8 h2h

C VMart
1B MCab
2B Stewart
3B Zimmerman
SS Ramirez
OF Manny,BJUpton,Braun
Ut Rios
Ut Pierre
BN Quentin,Snider,Berkman,Bruce

SP Kershaw,Gallardo,Hanson,Liriano,Holland,JGarcia,Romero
RP KRod,Marmol,Feliz,Wagner,Dotel
DL BAnderson
NYMetsIn2k4
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -1)

Postby fezzik » Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:56 am

If you can only keep 5, Kershaw, Wieters, and Bruce must have truly special 2010 seasons in order to warrant being kept. If you're convinced they will perform that much above where they're being drafted, then reach for them. While I'm high on Kershaw, saying he or any of those guys will end up being valued in the top 2 rounds is a relative longshot. They have the ability, but the stars really have to align IMO for them to jump that high. Since you can draft all these guys after round 6, they will have to beat out some other quality guys you draft in the early rounds in order to be kept. The only bonus to having keeper depth (other than them helping you during your current season) is if you are allowed to trade them after the season is over...that being said, if you truly believe they will perform that much better than expected, you better make sure you get them. I did that last year with S. Drew, N. Cruz, and Wandy Rodriguez...and it worked out well with two of them. ;-)

I would say the safe bet would be to draft like it was a non-keeper and move guys you strongly project to exceed their ADP up appropriately...but you should do that whether it's a keeper or not, so...

I think it's very dangerous to assume those 3 guys are going to automatically be very valuable next season, though I am all about having your own projections and running with them...so I'm not going to say anything other than having all those guys routinely drafted in the top 3 rounds in 2011 would surprise me...though it's not unthinkable.
fezzik
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby Padsin05 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:03 am

heres an example

my keepers going into last year were
Halladay, Howard, Kinsler but we did add 2 new teams so we only kept 3

my keepers going into this year are

Mauer, Bay, Lind, Sandoval, Howard, and trying to decide between Wainwright or Kershaw

my point being keepers in my league change like crazy, no guy has kept the same 6 for 2 yrs in a row, at all in 6 yrs running. Always go into a first year keeper playing to win THIS year, your keepers can be found during the year, and honestly keepers dont make the team, how you draft and work the wire ultimately does.
Padsin05
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -2)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers