Return to Baseball Leftovers

Yahoo Fantasy Baseball Performance Thread

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Yahoo Fantasy Baseball Performance Thread

Postby ramble2 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:46 am

Maris09 wrote:
Fantasy Sports Genie wrote:
Maris09 wrote:Any word on this? Seems like all the other sites have a way to do conditional waivers.

You currently cannot do this on our site. A player can only be dropped in one waiver claim.

Yes but can it be changed? Seems like the other sites allow it.

I'm not sure why it couldn't be changed. You aren't dropping a player in more than one waiver claim in the scenario described. The conditional for dropping player A for player Y simply doesn't run if player A was already dropped for player X. Isn't that what it means to be 'conditional'?

I'm not a programmer, but I do teach logic and there's some overlap. To make a conditional waiver claim, you'd just need to nest conditionals. There's lots of ways to do this, e.g., 'If player Y is available and player A is on team, then drop player A for player Y; else drop player B for player Y.' I do this (and even more complex) nested conditionals in programs like Excel all the time. Like I said, I'm not a programmer, but why isn't it simply a matter of writing up a simple code for nesting conditionals?
"The game has a cleanness. If you do a good job, the numbers say so. You don't have to ask anyone or play politics. You don't have to wait for the reviews." - Sandy Koufax
ramble2
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: -6)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Bwanna » Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:11 pm

ramble2 wrote:
Maris09 wrote:
Fantasy Sports Genie wrote:You currently cannot do this on our site. A player can only be dropped in one waiver claim.

Yes but can it be changed? Seems like the other sites allow it.

I'm not sure why it couldn't be changed. You aren't dropping a player in more than one waiver claim in the scenario described. The conditional for dropping player A for player Y simply doesn't run if player A was already dropped for player X. Isn't that what it means to be 'conditional'?

I'm not a programmer, but I do teach logic and there's some overlap. To make a conditional waiver claim, you'd just need to nest conditionals. There's lots of ways to do this, e.g., 'If player Y is available and player A is on team, then drop player A for player Y; else drop player B for player Y.' I do this (and even more complex) nested conditionals in programs like Excel all the time. Like I said, I'm not a programmer, but why isn't it simply a matter of writing up a simple code for nesting conditionals?

Most code changes are 'simple' when all the constraints and conditions are well-defined. But there is always a battle for resources (people/time/etc) and priority in any programming shop, and often there are side effects that must be accounted for, which users can't see and sometimes wouldn't understand. Then there are the resources involved in system/regression testing and deployment _after_ the changed code is submitted. I.e., it's almost never as simple as it appears it should be to a user.
[reg season/playoffs]
LFoD '08 [1st/3rd], '10 [1st/3rd], '11 [1st/2nd], '12 [1st/1st], '13, [1st/2nd], '14, [1st/1st]
BRAL '09 2nd, '10 1st
Bwanna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 20)

Postby ramble2 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:00 pm

Bwanna wrote:
ramble2 wrote:
Maris09 wrote:Yes but can it be changed? Seems like the other sites allow it.

Most code changes are 'simple' when all the constraints and conditions are well-defined. But there is always a battle for resources (people/time/etc) and priority in any programming shop, and often there are side effects that must be accounted for, which users can't see and sometimes wouldn't understand. Then there are the resources involved in system/regression testing and deployment _after_ the changed code is submitted. I.e., it's almost never as simple as it appears it should be to a user.

Yeah, after I posted this I realized that it would be easy in the abstract, or as a stand-alone problem, but that there's likely a whole mess of downstream consequences and contexts to deal with. Still, it sure would be nice ..
"The game has a cleanness. If you do a good job, the numbers say so. You don't have to ask anyone or play politics. You don't have to wait for the reviews." - Sandy Koufax
ramble2
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: -6)

Postby Fantasy Sports Genie » Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:31 pm

That's pretty much it. I get it, and it is a nice idea in theory, but such things are always messier than you'd think to actually cover all the edge cases. We also have no shortage of things to work on. So it might happen someday, or it might not, and as usual I can't say what we will or won't do in the future.
Fantasy Sports Genie
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 22)

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:27 pm

hey genie, how about adding "add to watch list" flags next to the players' names in the "recent transactions" area of the league front page? it would save us a lot of time to flag guys right on the spot instead of having to click players, then search, then flag from the results. pretty please? O:-)
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -36)

Postby thejusman1 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:46 pm

I don't freaking get why a player with a sudden double-header cannot be moved after the first game... ie, tomorrow Bedard was supposed to start, but I guess they will postpone the game tomorrow and play a double-header today instead. As a diligent owner who needs as many starts this week to win, I had him starting all along Sunday night, but now he's on my bench for this suddenly moved double-header, and I can't do anything about it cause the day game just started!? Freaking bs.
A blog for political rants, fantasy sports, and thoughts from my twisted mind. Warning: Not for children.
thejusman1
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: -5)

Postby Tennessee Jed » Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:35 pm

thejusman1 wrote:I don't freaking get why a player with a sudden double-header cannot be moved after the first game... ie, tomorrow Bedard was supposed to start, but I guess they will postpone the game tomorrow and play a double-header today instead. As a diligent owner who needs as many starts this week to win, I had him starting all along Sunday night, but now he's on my bench for this suddenly moved double-header, and I can't do anything about it cause the day game just started!? Freaking bs.

for this exact reason I made sure all my starters for Sunday were taking up spots in my lineup for Saturday. They've been talking about moving games around all week because of this storm
Tennessee Jed
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 3)

Postby bigken117 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:52 pm

the Sox called the double header on like Thursday. It's not sudden.
http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/E/Jacoby-Ellsbury.shtml
http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=24
http://twitter.com/#!/baseballcafe
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Fantasy-Baseball-Cafe/117034715055181?sk=wall
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -1076)

Postby thejusman1 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:15 pm

bigken117 wrote:the Sox called the double header on like Thursday. It's not sudden.

I don't have time to monitor the weather reports of 30 cities... I go by the ^ icon by Yahoo, and they didn't change it.
A blog for political rants, fantasy sports, and thoughts from my twisted mind. Warning: Not for children.
thejusman1
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: -5)

Postby wrveres » Sat Aug 27, 2011 4:23 pm

thejusman1 wrote:
bigken117 wrote:the Sox called the double header on like Thursday. It's not sudden.

I don't have time to monitor the weather reports of 30 cities... I go by the ^ icon by Yahoo, and they didn't change it.
i understand your pain, but its actually 15 cities, and there is a weather grid an inch to your left. ;-)
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: -313)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers