Using a format that has been time-tested since 1987 in both fantasy baseball and hockey - we are setting up a new baseball league and looking for some good owners.
The basics of the format are:
- NL-only Keeper League
- 30 players (12 hitters are various positions, 5 starters and 3 RPs)
- 8 to 9 owners in the league
- $250 league fees so winning can be profitable. 4 places
- Salary cap is $330
- Teams are drafted by IM to open the year and then there are three shorter supplemental drafts thereafter also done by Instant messenger. Often there are LA and NYC live drafts (still on IM but everyone is in the same room) for people who live nearby.
- There are some complex rules including the ability to "eat money" for teams in trades after a certain date that can expand your salary cap to as high as $380.
- You can keep up to 11 players including three under $11 each year.
- Raises are giving to players at 10% in year one. In year two players get $5 THEN the 10%. For example if you draft Buster Posey for $1 and he becomes a start he would be $2 in 2011 and you'd have three spots for players like this. If you draft Albert Pujlos at $40 he'd go to $44 (and you'd keep him BTW) the next year then $44 + $5 + 10% thus $54 (you still might keep him).
- Trading is HIGHLY encouraged.
The league is built around friendships first and foremost. While the format can be cut-throat at times (think about when somebody bids $2 on your Buster Posey bid and you don't have $3 to go higher!) it is always about having fun and following baseball.
Historically, this league has been one that has had a waiting list. Because some of the NYC and LA people have gotten older (had kids, moved away) we now need some new blood - which is likely to be a good thing. In the past, we've had a waiting list to get into the league with owners staying for 15 plus years.
If you are interested in learning more about potentially joining email me at Jerry (at) HomeTheaterReview.com or call 310.860.9988.
Jerry Del Colliano