Return to Commissioner's Corner

Adding HLDs as a stat. Which stat to cut? (POLL)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Which Pitching Stat Should Get The Axe?

Earned Runs
33%
Losses
67%

Total votes : 6

Adding HLDs as a stat. Which stat to cut? (POLL)

Postby dooz » Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:52 pm

I have been running a league for about 5 or 6 years now. When we started, none of us had much experience with fantasy at all and the thus the league settings were a little funky. We've we done the league a couple times in an effort to provide value to all facets of the game (As much as possible, anyway. We won't be adding E or F%). 5x5 is fine and is a good standard league setup but I feel (as do my league mates) that it's not an ideal league configuration.

Our current league setup is (R,HR,RBI,SB,K,BB,TB,AVG and W,L,ER,SV,K,BB,ERA,WHIP). For a couple seasons, I've been pushing for the elimination of HRs (already rewarded in TBs) but it's too "sexy" of a stat (Chicks dig the long ball), what with "Touch 'Em All", etc. so that's a battle for another off-season (as well as BB on the pitching side).

We are going to add Holds and remove either ER or L. I am posting this to get general feedback and maybe so poll votes too. I am strongly in favor of removing ER, even though we all know that W/L aren't great indications of a pitcher's performance but for fantasy purposes, it's all we really got.

I'm the commish so ultimately I make the final decision but I asked for some league feedback and it was pretty unanimously in favor of adding HLDs but there was almost 50/50 split on whether it should be ER or L.

What are you thoughts?
dooz
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 17)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Adding HLDs as a stat. Which stat to cut? (POLL)

Postby bigmck » Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:11 am

I don't like Losses because it is a Negative Stat. If you want to use Losses, I would make the category "Wins minus Losses". You could had Holds that way.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 22)

Postby dooz » Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:34 pm

bigmck wrote:I don't like Losses because it is a Negative Stat. If you want to use Losses, I would make the category "Wins minus Losses". You could had Holds that way.

ER is also a negative stat. W-L doesn't really help the situation either
dooz
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 17)

Postby fast dogs » Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:01 pm

Not sure of the setup just need to be careful to not change the rules to make streaming more attractive
When asking for roster advice in these pages, remember there are thousands of different sets of league rules & many different active roster settings. If you want the best replies, be sure to include your leagues particulars in the original post
fast dogs
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 147)

Postby BoBtheMule » Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:18 pm

dooz wrote:
bigmck wrote:I don't like Losses because it is a Negative Stat. If you want to use Losses, I would make the category "Wins minus Losses". You could had Holds that way.

ER is also a negative stat. W-L doesn't really help the situation either

Why doesn't it? You get rid of W and L... make it W-L and then add holds... same number of stats. Your other option is to do SAVES + HOLDS instead of Saves and Holds.
I prefer the former tho... W-L prevents streaming b/c the borderline pitchers out there for streaming don't tend to rack up great winning percentages.

Ridding yourself of ER is fine too... it doesn't really make a lot of sense since ERA is already there...
I'd get rid of W, L and ER and add W-L and Holds... that'd be ideal
BoB
BoBtheMule
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Spimothy Leary » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:48 am

I voted losses but i'd suggest K-BB as an alternative,, I think those cat's are very Merge-able
Spimothy Leary
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby FantasySportsMaven » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:50 pm

for me, this depends entirely on what type of league this is? Did I miss it?
If Roto, then eliminate Ls.
If H2H, then eliminate ERA at a cat assuming you have WHIP as a cat.

If you can combine Ws and Ls, then that iste best answer for both.
FantasySportsMaven
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Return to Commissioner's Corner