Return to Baseball Leftovers

Your favorite late round pitchers?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Your favorite late round pitchers?

Postby kweiss » Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:52 pm

Last year there seemed to be a lot of value to be had in the 12-15th rounds when it came to up and coming pitchers.

This year those rounds seem to be filled with the former aces looking to rebound (Aaron Harang, Scott Kazmir, Brandon Webb, Jake Peavy, etc.)

Who are you targeting in this group of pitchers? Anyone who you expect to return to form? Anyone who you expect to emerge?
kweiss
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Your favorite late round pitchers?

Postby Pochucker » Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:44 pm

Well I wont say Brett Anderson because his adp will be about 120 max by time hype machine is done. However pitchers with adps over 144 that interest me are below. I have 6 bench spots in my league so and I wont draft my 1st pitcher till 8th rd so ill draft 8 pitchers
Price
Floyd
Bucholz
Slowey
Liriano
Sheets
Cueto
Harang
Davis,W
Marcum,S
Duchscherer
Lewis,C
Kuroda,H
Pochucker
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -10)

Postby BillyHallDisciple » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:53 pm

I like Webb, Peavy, Kazmir, etc. between rounds 12-15, as fantasy drafters tend to shy away from pitchers coming back from injury without even bothering to investigate the long-term severity of the injuries.

... and if you're digging deeper and truly talking late rounds, here's my list of targets (and as we all know that cheap/late-round pitching is the stuff championships are made of):

Ben Sheets, Oak: Lots of your league-mates will be scared by the injuries, but when he is pitching he's nearly always close to ace material. I'm looking to take a flyer on him late, only expecting between 125-150 IP but like I said they're gonna be quality innings.

Jonathan Sanchez, SF: At least a few other owners in your league will probably look to nab him late in the draft, but I still think he's a bit under the radar. If he ever harnesses his control, he could be dangerous in a good way for your pitching staff with a k/9 that ranks with some of the more elite starters. He started bringing the walks down some, the only concern with him is how often he can make it through the 6th inning, but remember he also had a no-hitter with 11 k's (granted, it was against the Padres).

Tim Hudson, Atl: If you don't mind a bit lower k/9, Hudson should be back to his old self this year. He's 34 and had TJ surgery, but came back at the end of last year to go 2-1 with a 3.61 ERA in his seven starts.

Daisuke Matsuzaka: This guy's value has never been this low. I know he's prone to giving up more walks than he should, but in his short ML career he's been a power pitcher playing for a potent offense that gets him wins. Last year he was beset by shoulder problems and his IP totals have gone down the last three years (205, 168, 59), but what he did when he came back last Sept/Oct wasn't too shabby:

vs. Anaheim 6 IP, 3 H, 0 ER, 3 BB, 5 K
vs. Bal 5.1 IP, 8 H, 3 ER, 1 BB, 5 K
vs. NYY 7 IP, 6 H, 1 ER, 5 BB :-{ , 3 K
vs. Cle 6 IP, 5 H, 2 ER, 3 BB, 7 K

I wouldn't put your hopes on this guy at all, but he might be worth a shot at the very back of your rotation just to see what happens. He's only 29, he's gotta get this thing turned around right?

Other names:
Homer Bailey, Cin - I'm not sold on the dude, but he had some nice starts toward the end of last year and may be finally realizing his potential.

Joe Blanton, Phi - Workmanlike. Innings-eater, had a nice stretch of games last year and upped his K total. Not sure if the K thing was for real, but the rest of it is. Good value late.

Brett Myers, Hou - Yeah, he's had a couple of disappointing seasons and always upsets his owners by getting shelled once in a while, but I might have him as my #6 starter and see what happens. Maybe a change of scenery in Houston will help him.
BillyHallDisciple
General Manager
General Manager

Postby horatio » Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:10 am

I'd love to draft Bedard and Duchscherer in the late rounds for the second year in a row and actually have it work out this time. Those two are Cy Young material if they could both stay healthy for a whole year.

Ben Sheets, Ted Lilly, Bronson Arroyo, Kevin Correia, Randy Wells, JJ Happ, Jonathan Sanchez, Wade Davis, Rick Porcello.
horatio
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -3)

Postby Verminator » Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:02 pm

Favorites in Rds 16-20 according to Rookies and Creams nice lil' matrix:

G Floyd
B Sheets
C Buchholz
F Liriano
J de la Rosa
J Sanchez
J Cueto

Also like B Myers, G Gonzalez, and R Romero as late round fliers.
When it comes to exaggerating, I always give 110%.
Verminator
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -3)

Postby J35J » Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:24 pm

horatio wrote:...Duchscherer ...are Cy Young material if they could both stay healthy for a whole year. .

:-°
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -42)

Postby ensanimal » Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:05 pm

For deeper leagues I'm liking Clayton Richard. :-X
ensanimal

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -152)

Postby jake_twothousandfive » Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:44 pm

Jorge de la Rosa will probably go in the middle rounds in a lot of leagues, but he's someone I'll be trying to get in drafts. Brett Myers I think is a good late round target. Moving away from Citizen's Bank Park should help him considerably. His HR/FB rate of 23.4% last year was ridiculous. That won't happen again.
"Don't take anything for granted, because tomorrow is not promised to any of us." ---Kirby Puckett
jake_twothousandfive
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -63)

Postby J.C.Fighter » Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:19 pm

I don't trust De La rosa at all, dude is oliver perez part 2
J.C.Fighter
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -7)

Postby Another Blown Save » Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:28 pm

Justin Masterson
http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/l/latosma01.shtml. Mat Latos - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!
Another Blown Save
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: -361)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers