Return to Baseball Leftovers

Yahoo is open

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Yahoo is open

Postby Fantasy Sports Genie » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:08 pm

wrveres wrote:i'll try again.

Genie.

Did I see somewhere that league commissioners will have the ability to pause a live draft? If so, is this also true for the new auction leagues?
This would be a huge benefit in case somebody gets booted by the server mid-draft.

Yes and yes. There are limits, but as I recall, it goes something like this.

- You can pause your draft up to 5 times.
- Each pause can be for either 30 seconds or 3 minutes (I think?)
- At each pause you can undo up to 5 picks if needed.

Something like that.
Fantasy Sports Genie
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 22)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby wrveres » Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:30 pm

thank you sir.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: -313)

Postby West » Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:22 pm

Fantasy Sports Genie wrote:

Something like that.

That's awesome.
West
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 66)

Postby Bloody Sox » Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:48 am

West wrote:

Something like that.

That's awesome.

Not really... though its better than nothing. I wish the commissioner could change the draft pick time limit and not be restricted like this. There's really no need.
"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else"
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Fantasy Sports Genie » Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:10 am

Bloody Sox wrote:
West wrote:

Something like that.

That's awesome.

Not really... though its better than nothing. I wish the commissioner could change the draft pick time limit and not be restricted like this. There's really no need.

I'll make you a deal: when you are running thousands of simultaneous drafts on your servers, you can allow them to go on for an indeterminate amount of time. Deal? :-D

In all seriousness, there really are reasons we "need" to limit how long you can pause, how many picks you can undo, etc. etc. in order to realistically manage our server resources in the face of the kind of volume we serve. Do the limits need to be exactly what they are? I dunno. Not necessarily. Given enough feedback that they're overly restrictive we could probably revisit it. Allowing the commish to edit the time per pick is independent of the pause feature, and "on the list", subject to limitations for the same sort of reasons; we can't let various managers suddenly decide they want their drafts to run for days on end.

Hope this helps.
Fantasy Sports Genie
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Bloody Sox » Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:47 am

Bloody Sox wrote:
West wrote:
That's awesome.

I'll make you a deal: when you are running thousands of simultaneous drafts on your servers, you can allow them to go on for an indeterminate amount of time. Deal? :-D

In all seriousness, there really are reasons we "need" to limit how long you can pause, how many picks you can undo, etc. etc. in order to realistically manage our server resources in the face of the kind of volume we serve. Do the limits need to be exactly what they are? I dunno. Not necessarily. Given enough feedback that they're overly restrictive we could probably revisit it. Allowing the commish to edit the time per pick is independent of the pause feature, and "on the list", subject to limitations for the same sort of reasons; we can't let various managers suddenly decide they want their drafts to run for days on end.

Hope this helps.

Sorry for the complaint - I'm not saying its technically simple, but in a case where you have a technical glitch or need to pause for 15 minutes because some guy's computer crashed or some other who-knows-what reason, it is tough. You guys do a great job, sorry for sounding ungrateful. I appreciate the feedback - thanks!

Curiosity - would supporting "slow drafts" to accommodate this type of thing reduce the burden on the servers?
"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else"
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Fantasy Sports Genie » Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:06 am

No problem. Periodically posters here on the Cafe post there there is "no reason" we can't do something, or something is "not needed", and they are the sort of posts that often remind me that I know some things you guys don't :-D

Slow drafts. That is also on the list. It is actually pretty unclear to me what sort of demand there is for such a thing. There are some logistical issues around this, but they could probably be resolved with some rule or another. For example, if I'm running a slow draft offline, and one of my managers goes off on a drunken bender for a few days, I can decide what to do; I can call him 27 times an hour until he picks, I can pick for him, I can make the decision we're skipping him, etc. If managing the draft becomes Yahoo's job, we need to decide how to make such scenarios workable.
Fantasy Sports Genie
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby WickedSmaat » Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:10 am

What about something like Couch Managers, Genie?

I know it's meant for mocks but we used it for our draft then put into Yahoo. Basically if you missed your time limit it would take from your Queue first, then from your rankings, then from the default rankings. or if you know you'll be away and your 2 picks away you can set your queue to autopick when it gets to your turn.

one that's running currently as a cafe mock - http://www.couchmanagers.com/mock_draft ... ftnum=9633

I think the best thing about these is you can set it to email you every pick if you want to know where the draft it. It also will email you only when you pick is up. So it's a preference you can use.
WickedSmaat
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Graphics ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -108)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby SpecialFNK » Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:01 pm

what happens if your draft time is getting close and your public league doesnt have enough teams?
on Friday i signed up for a public league to draft Monday night, but currently there are only 5 teams. should this league still get the full 12 teams? or should i try and sign up for a new league and delete this team?
SpecialFNK
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 38)

Postby wrveres » Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:19 pm

SpecialFNK wrote:what happens if your draft time is getting close and your public league doesnt have enough teams?
on Friday i signed up for a public league to draft Monday night, but currently there are only 5 teams. should this league still get the full 12 teams? or should i try and sign up for a new league and delete this team?

chances are they will just cancel the league right before the draft
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: -313)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers