Return to Baseball Leftovers

Mets FAIL

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Mets FAIL

Postby Grounded Polo » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:08 pm

Tavish wrote:
Grounded Polo wrote:I find it hard to remember any prospects the Mets traded away who turned out good sans Scott Kazmir for awhile.

To be fair I find it hard to remember anyone the Mets have drafted that would be considered a good prospect sans Milledge. Carp might be the only player drafted post-Kazmir that was traded and found time in the majors.


The Mets traded away good prospects, just Milledge and Escobar were the only superstar prospects. Escobar had peaked as a prospect when he was traded but wasn't viewed as a total bust yet, then he tore his ACL and his career was basically over. Yusmeiro Petit was ranked 69 in the 2006 BA Top 100, his ranking took a hit from 2005 when it was clear he has a polished prospect but viewed strictly as a #3/innings eater type guy, still a good prospect. Gomez was ranked 60th, had the speed and glove but was a tools guy who didn't pan out. Guerra had a ton of upside before the Mets ruined him by rushing him along and Humber was considered solid also.
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 6584
(Past Year: 7)
Joined: 11 Aug 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Mets FAIL

Postby kab21 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:08 pm

Grounded Polo wrote:
The Mets traded away good prospects, just Milledge and Escobar were the only superstar prospects. Escobar had peaked as a prospect when he was traded but wasn't viewed as a total bust yet, then he tore his ACL and his career was basically over. Yusmeiro Petit was ranked 69 in the 2006 BA Top 100, his ranking took a hit from 2005 when it was clear he has a polished prospect but viewed strictly as a #3/innings eater type guy, still a good prospect. Gomez was ranked 60th, had the speed and glove but was a tools guy who didn't pan out. Guerra had a ton of upside before the Mets ruined him by rushing him along and Humber was considered solid also.


I wasn't necessarily talking about top 100 BA prospects. I was talking about all of the raw latin kids that were playing A ball as teenagers and moving up despite mediocre results. Gomez/FMart/Flores/Marte/Guerra and it feels like a half dozen names that I forget now. Flores and Marte are STILL only 20.
My website - The World Is Not That Big
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
Posts: 5397
(Past Year: 133)
Joined: 24 Nov 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Mets FAIL

Postby bigh0rt » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:11 pm

bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 25277
(Past Year: 722)
Joined: 3 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Crowding The Plate

Re: Mets FAIL

Postby Grounded Polo » Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:35 am

kab21 wrote:
Grounded Polo wrote:
The Mets traded away good prospects, just Milledge and Escobar were the only superstar prospects. Escobar had peaked as a prospect when he was traded but wasn't viewed as a total bust yet, then he tore his ACL and his career was basically over. Yusmeiro Petit was ranked 69 in the 2006 BA Top 100, his ranking took a hit from 2005 when it was clear he has a polished prospect but viewed strictly as a #3/innings eater type guy, still a good prospect. Gomez was ranked 60th, had the speed and glove but was a tools guy who didn't pan out. Guerra had a ton of upside before the Mets ruined him by rushing him along and Humber was considered solid also.


I wasn't necessarily talking about top 100 BA prospects. I was talking about all of the raw latin kids that were playing A ball as teenagers and moving up despite mediocre results. Gomez/FMart/Flores/Marte/Guerra and it feels like a half dozen names that I forget now. Flores and Marte are STILL only 20.


I'm amazed that Tejada has been playing well in the bigs so far, he's another latin guy that was extremely rushed but looks like a solid leadoff guy so far, hope they don't bump him down for junk like Torres. At least Omar is long gone so there isn't a GM aggressively pushing prospects just to keep his job and not looking out for the player's best interests (see Mejia, Jennry).

I'm really looking forward to 2013 myself, cannot wait to see Wheeler and Harvey in the bigs and the Mets are done with rushing every single solid prospect. Johan, Niese, Dickey, Wheeler, and Harvey would be a nice rotation with Mejia being fully recovered and playing into the mix as well.
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 6584
(Past Year: 7)
Joined: 11 Aug 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Mets FAIL

Postby Pogotheostrich » Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:50 am

Image
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 21623
(Past Year: 206)
Joined: 9 Dec 2002
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: St. Louis

Re: Mets FAIL

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:33 pm

Through 18 innings, the Mets have not scored a single Run while Johan Santana has been pitching in a game this season. Run Support: Zero... point... zero.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 25277
(Past Year: 722)
Joined: 3 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Crowding The Plate

Re: Mets FAIL

Postby Grounded Polo » Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:47 am

bigh0rt wrote:Through 18 innings, the Mets have not scored a single Run while Johan Santana has been pitching in a game this season. Run Support: Zero... point... zero.


:-b

Mets fan booing Reyes last night belongs in the fail thread, pretty classless. Like Gary and Keith said, he's a top 5 Met on offense ever. He only left because the team wasn't going to make a serious offer to him (which was the right call for us). I suppose that's New York for you, they'd probably boo Jeter if he ever got forced out and came back with another team.
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 6584
(Past Year: 7)
Joined: 11 Aug 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Mets FAIL

Postby Tavish » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:24 pm

Grounded Polo wrote: Like Gary and Keith said, he's a top 5 Met on offense ever.

That might be taking things a little too far in the Reyes lovefest.
Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
Posts: 11071
(Past Year: 7)
Joined: 3 May 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Mets FAIL

Postby Pogotheostrich » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:39 pm

Tavish wrote:
Grounded Polo wrote: Like Gary and Keith said, he's a top 5 Met on offense ever.

That might be taking things a little too far in the Reyes lovefest.


That's and intresting question. The top 3 seem pretty easy to me, Piazza, Wright and Strawberry. After that it gets a little dicey. Maybe Beltran or Keith Hernandez for 4 and 5. I could see the arguement for Reyes in the top 5.
Image
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 21623
(Past Year: 206)
Joined: 9 Dec 2002
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: St. Louis

Re: Mets FAIL

Postby bigken117 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:55 pm

it's certainly an interesting debate. I think Mookie Wilson needs to be in the discussion too ;-7

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/NYM/leaders_bat.shtml

Offensive WAR

Rank Player Offensive WAR PA
1. David Wright 38.2 4783
2. Darryl Strawberry 36.3 4549
3. Howard Johnson 33.2 4591
4. Mike Piazza 30.5 3941
5. Carlos Beltran 27.8 3640
6. Jose Reyes 27.7 4840
7. Edgardo Alfonzo 24.9 4449
8. Keith Hernandez 20.8 3684
9. Cleon Jones 18.9 4683
10. Mookie Wilson 18.7 4308
http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/E/Jacoby-Ellsbury.shtml
http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=24
http://twitter.com/#!/baseballcafe
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Fantasy-Baseball-Cafe/117034715055181?sk=wall
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 12872
(Past Year: 6)
Joined: 15 Feb 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: posed in an awkward stance

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests