Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Rank these 3 Minor Leaguers

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Rank these 3 Minor Leaguers

Postby PedroFan45 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:37 pm

For a 5x5 dynasty league how would you rank these players?

Kyle Drabek
Starlin Castro
Ryan Westmoreland
PedroFan45
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Rank these 3 Minor Leaguers

Postby kimchi_chigae » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:41 pm

Westmoreland
Drabek

Castro
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby GreenMtn! » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:43 pm

1. Westmoreland
2. Drabek
3. Castro
GreenMtn!
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 4)

Postby bigken117 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:15 pm

Castro - is closest and plays premium position
Drabek - a bit overrated because he was traded for Halladay
Westmoreland - never played above Low A, two major injuries, only played 8 games in the field.
http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/E/Jacoby-Ellsbury.shtml
http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=24
http://twitter.com/#!/baseballcafe
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Fantasy-Baseball-Cafe/117034715055181?sk=wall
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 6)

Postby Steve-o » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:17 pm

Drabek
Westmoreland
Castro

The first two are neck and neck in my mind. Drabek's curveball is plus plus, so I put him up a notch. I am a little concerned about Westmoreland's power potential. I was under the impression that his best tools were his contact ability with the bat, his arm, and his speed.
In my fridge: Founders Kentucky Breakfast Stout (KBS), Central Waters Peruvian Morning, Bell's Batch 10,000, Dale's Pale Ale, Capital Brewery Amber, New Glarus Moon Man, and Guinness.
Steve-o
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby PedroFan45 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:23 pm

What if I add Casey Kelly and Christian Friedrich to the mix, how woudl the rankings change?
PedroFan45
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby kimchi_chigae » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:45 pm

I would only go after Casey Kelly if I was sure I could flip him for a real prospect with a Sox fan. :-D

I like Friedrich, but I'd take Westmoreland over him and possibly Drabek too.
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby kab21 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:09 pm

Drabek - he's got a good fastball and plus curveball and will be in the majors this year
Westmoreland - he's got elite tools/potential but hasn't been in A ball yet and will probably take 3 yrs or so to make the majors
Kelly - I'm a little tentative about his fastball but he hasn't pitched a lot (so he could gain some velocity) and he has great secondary pitches
Castro - His value comes position scarcity, developing power and a SSS (AFL) hype machine. he could turn out great but I'm wary of players like him

Friedrich - did not rate because I need to study up more on him. He's in the mix with these prospects though

Personally Drabek gets the biggest boost since he has a relatively high floor and is ready to contribute to a fantasy team this year. Some will say that he is an injury risk but he has had one injury and showed good durability last year. If you weren't in a big need for a starter right away then you could take a higher ceiling prospect instead of Drabek since all of these prospects are really close to the same value.
My website - The World Is Not That Big
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 104)

Postby Steve-o » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:40 pm

Drabek
Westmoreland
Castro
Kelly
Friedrich

Those two guys just get tacked on to the end for me. I guess you could make a case for Kelly over Castro, considering the two plus breaking pitches, but a RHP who maxes out at around 93 just doesn't do it for me.
In my fridge: Founders Kentucky Breakfast Stout (KBS), Central Waters Peruvian Morning, Bell's Batch 10,000, Dale's Pale Ale, Capital Brewery Amber, New Glarus Moon Man, and Guinness.
Steve-o
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby bigmex » Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:56 pm

1. Kyle Drabek - The kid has the ceiling of a top of the rotation guy. Some scouts think he will end up being a middle of the rotation type guy, but some of their peers say he will be at the top of a rotation. He hasn't done anything to suggest yet that he will not reach his ceiling, and obviously the Jays believe highly enough in him to deal Halladay for him.

2. Ryan Westmoreland - At his ceiling he could be a 30/30 player. He has all the tools to be an all-star major leaguer. Problem is he is still at a low level in the minors and still has alot to prove. Based on upside though he is second on this list.

3 Starlin Castro - His value and ranking right now is probably as high as it will get. He had a great showing in the Arizona Fall League which propelled his name up the rankings list. I don't think his ceiling is near where the other two are on the list. His defense at SS is what might put him close to the majors but i dont think his bat will be special enough to make him fantasy special.
bigmex
College Coach
College Coach

Next

Return to Minor League & College Baseball