Return to Baseball Leftovers

Yahoo Chopped Liver

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Yahoo Chopped Liver

Postby Dan Lambskin » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:17 am

how many stat services are actually out there i wonder?
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: -115)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby markj11 » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:28 am

Dan Lambskin wrote:how many stat services are actually out there i wonder?

Dan, how about we start a stat service? Apparently we can sleep on the job and still keep large customers.

EDIT: I have the code ready: Yahoo stats = ESPN stats
I ain't askin' nobody for nothin, If I can't get it on my own. - Charlie Daniels
markj11
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -10)

Postby BALCO All-Stars » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:35 am

It's not just Yahoo. I'm in a NL-only league in sportsline and our commissioner sent out an e-mail last night stating that he knows the stats are screwed up...so this morning he wrote again saying that sportsline notified him that the stats have been fixed so I logged in and I was in first with a 3.5 point lead. I just logged in again and now I'm in second by 1 point...WTF? How hard is it to supply stats? I develop financial systems for a living and I know it's not THIS HARD to get the data right!
BALCO All-Stars
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby Maris09 » Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:00 pm

bigh0rt wrote:
Madison wrote:We play at Yahoo and Yahoo has big issues due to the stats provider they use. How many players does Yahoo have to lose before they make changes? I play roto, so this particular issue doesn't bother me too much. However, how Yahoo handles it is important to me as a customer because if they can't fix this problem, then why would I think they could fix any problem down the road? So it really is a fair question.

I think the fair question is, how long do you (the general 'you') tolerate the issues before you switch to another provider?

But what if you like the format and just want it to be fixed?
Other sites don't seem to have as many problems, so it's definitely "possible" to improve.

I understand at some point....a decision must be made whether to just deal with it or go somewhere else, but it doesn't seem like that difficult an issue to correct.
Maris09
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 5)

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:33 pm

BALCO All-Stars wrote:It's not just Yahoo. I'm in a NL-only league in sportsline and our commissioner sent out an e-mail last night stating that he knows the stats are screwed up...so this morning he wrote again saying that sportsline notified him that the stats have been fixed so I logged in and I was in first with a 3.5 point lead. I just logged in again and now I'm in second by 1 point...WTF?

No, Yahoo! is the only provider that has these problems. Ask anyone.

BALCO All-Stars wrote:How hard is it to supply stats? I develop financial systems for a living and I know it's not THIS HARD to get the data right!

Design one. There's a ton of money to be made. Especially if you can produce a superior product.

Maris09 wrote:But what if you like the format and just want it to be fixed?
Other sites don't seem to have as many problems, so it's definitely "possible" to improve.

I understand at some point....a decision must be made whether to just deal with it or go somewhere else, but it doesn't seem like that difficult an issue to correct.

Even with pay services, you run into problems like this. For the past three years I've been in JTWood's league through FanStar, which we pay for, and has worlds more problems than I've ever experienced with Yahoo! Also, if it were as easy as 1, 2, 3, I feel safe operating under the assumption that it would have been fixed by now -- I'm sure the folks over at Y! enjoy fielding those complaints as much as we do writing them. Nobody's winning there. Maybe they'll find a new provider for 2010, maybe the one they use will do a better job; but at the end of the day, when your league decides to use Yahoo!, you are in essence, agreeing to deal with these issues that arise (to a certain degree, of course) because it's not like it's some new thing. Are there other issues with ESPN and CBS that may lead you to not want to play there either? Certainly. But if there was one provider that was free, and had everything we wanted, then this wouldn't be a conversation we have several times a year -- we'd just all play there in harmony. :-b
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 376)

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:24 pm

this year, i tried all 3 services, and in terms of stats, ESPN has never failed. i didn't notice sportsline failing either, but yahoo i saw it happen several times. but it might be that i was paying more attention to the yahoo leagues because the leagues on the other site were free leagues and me just testing them out to see how it is.

i plan to write a comprehensive review comparing all 3 sites after the season ends, but i will say right now that it's not looking good for yahoo. :-o
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -36)

Postby baseball77 » Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:27 pm

BitterDodgerFan wrote:this year, i tried all 3 services, and in terms of stats, ESPN has never failed. i didn't notice sportsline failing either, but yahoo i saw it happen several times. but it might be that i was paying more attention to the yahoo leagues because the leagues on the other site were free leagues and me just testing them out to see how it is.

i plan to write a comprehensive review comparing all 3 sites after the season ends, but i will say right now that it's not looking good for yahoo. :-o

;-D I was just going to say something similar. My most competitive league was on ESPN this year so I followed it very closely and I can say that there were 0 errors that I noticed this year. That cannot be said for Yahoo.
baseball77
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -4)

Postby Maris09 » Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:39 pm

baseball77 wrote: ;-D I was just going to say something similar. My most competitive league was on ESPN this year so I followed it very closely and I can say that there were 0 errors that I noticed this year. That cannot be said for Yahoo.

I think somebody needs to talk to somebody about who their stats provider is.... :-b
Maris09
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 5)

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:42 pm

ESPN was by far the best service i'll just say. the only issue i had with ESPN was it had more server maintenance outages (during which you can't access the fantasy baseball site at all), albeit it was during odd hours when nobody probably checks their teams. but their interface was flawless and everything ran smoothly on the front end for the most part. site layout was very intuitive, good integration with player pages, and very detailed and helpful manager tools (ie daily BvP, PR15-30). and lastly, the FA pool system just puts yahoo's to shame. and all this was free, unlimited # of teams. (i signed up for 15 teams and decided to stop myself at that point) :-D
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -36)

Postby Madison » Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:51 pm

bigh0rt wrote:
Madison wrote:We play at Yahoo and Yahoo has big issues due to the stats provider they use. How many players does Yahoo have to lose before they make changes? I play roto, so this particular issue doesn't bother me too much. However, how Yahoo handles it is important to me as a customer because if they can't fix this problem, then why would I think they could fix any problem down the road? So it really is a fair question.

I think the fair question is, how long do you (the general 'you') tolerate the issues before you switch to another provider?

It's only a fair question if Yahoo is doing a social experiment to see how bad something has to be before people will leave (and I have seen such experiments before, but not from Yahoo). Somehow, even with Yahoo's new search engine deal with Microsoft (Bing), I don't think Yahoo's goal is to drive away all their members. 30 million people play fantasy sports each year (and also use their search engine, and have email accounts with them, read their front page, etc), so it wouldn't make sense in this case, that's just way too much revenue.

Being nice about the questions is the key. I do understand the frustration from someone who paid for a Plus league (I didn't) or from someone who purchased Stattracker (I did), so I won't immediately start trashing them like you do, but if the question/problem is discussed nicely and respectfully, then why exactly do you take issue with that? Do you think Yahoo isn't responsible for the failures of their contractor? That's the only thing that would make sense to me in this case, but I don't see how you could actually believe that, so what's the deal man? :-D And remember I'm usually on your (and Yahoo's) side when people whine and gripe just to whine and gripe, but having a nice discussion to find out what (if anything) is being done to avoid having additional stat problems down the road really shouldn't bother anyone.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -5140)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers