Return to Baseball Leftovers

WHIP Question

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

WHIP Question

Postby heyeaglefn » Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:06 pm

Wow, I am up by the slimmest margins of WHIP, does anyone know if yahoo rounds whip...like if they have a 1.387 whip does yahoo round it to 1.39?
heyeaglefn
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: WHIP Question

Postby heyeaglefn » Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:16 pm

Wow, now I need to trust yahoo that I won....
Our Whips are tied 1.33 each, I win 5 to 4, he has the ERA tie breaker so if yahoo is wrong I am done...
heyeaglefn
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -1)

Postby kab21 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:07 pm

In CBS it only displays 2 decimals (aka 1.32) but the rankings are based on more (1.31893). I'm not sure how far they carry it out but they only display 2 to make it easier to display.
My website - The World Is Not That Big
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 108)

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:15 pm

i hope yahoo goes another decimal point next year just like everyone else.
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -36)

Postby interchange » Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:48 pm

BitterDodgerFan wrote:i hope yahoo goes another decimal point next year just like everyone else.

I like the way Yahoo! does it. Practically, there is no difference between a 1.332555 WHIP and a 1.32985 WHIP. If they are that close, then it should be a tie. Otherwise, there's no chance of a tie. Ties aren't bad. They're interesting. With H2H, there's a lot of variability week to week. If you don't like that & close races, then H2H is the wrong league for you.

That being said, in roto I'd probably prefer more precision because there is more significance with that many innings.
Dominate is a verb. Dominant is an adjective.
interchange
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -14)

Postby BALCO All-Stars » Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:17 pm

interchange wrote:
BitterDodgerFan wrote:i hope yahoo goes another decimal point next year just like everyone else.

I like the way Yahoo! does it. Practically, there is no difference between a 1.332555 WHIP and a 1.32985 WHIP. If they are that close, then it should be a tie. Otherwise, there's no chance of a tie. Ties aren't bad. They're interesting. With H2H, there's a lot of variability week to week. If you don't like that & close races, then H2H is the wrong league for you.

That being said, in roto I'd probably prefer more precision because there is more significance with that many innings.

That's ridiculous...yes, there is very little difference, but there is still a difference! So what if one team scores 45 runs in a week and the other scores 44...should we just call that a tie too?

Back on point, in my Yahoo roto league, there are teams tied with 1.26 WHIP and they are all getting the same # of points (i.e. tied), so if you guys are both tied at 1.33 then the category should be a tie. Side note...why does Yahoo use ERA as a tie-breaker? I like how ESPN gives the tie breaker to the higher seed, but it's all preference.
BALCO All-Stars
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:26 pm

interchange wrote:

i never said i was in h2h, in fact i play roto exclusively. but even if i was in h2h, i'd prefer to have another decimal point.
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -36)

Postby interchange » Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:56 pm

BitterDodgerFan wrote:i never said i was in h2h, in fact i play roto exclusively. but even if i was in h2h, i'd prefer to have another decimal point.

Err sorry I was following the H2H playoff thread and somehow carried that over to here.

In Roto, though, I do agree that there is a significant difference with more data.
Dominate is a verb. Dominant is an adjective.
interchange
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -14)

Return to Baseball Leftovers