Return to Baseball Leftovers

Keeper Strategy question

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Keeper Strategy question

Postby octagon999 » Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:35 pm

I'm in a 4 Keeper league, and my question boils down to....

Do I keep the four best players on my roster, or do I keep the four highest draft picks (by ADP or some other measure), or do I look at younger players I have on my roster that haven't yet reached the top four status yet, but should be stellar for years to come?

Leaving my question generic so I'm not detailing my roster.

Thanks for your insights!
octagon999
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 14)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Keeper Strategy question

Postby KCollins1304 » Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:43 pm

In most circumstances your 4 best players should be the ones with the highest ADP for 2010. 4 keepers is still a relatively shallow league assuming it's 10-12 teams, so I would keep the 4 players who will help you win the most in 2010 in most cases. Don't get caught holding onto someone like Wieters because he is a sexy pick in this type of league because he isn't nearly worth a top 4 round pick(unless your roster is in shambles). In some instances you might want to take a younger guy over an older guy if their values for 2010 are similar. Some people in keeper leagues get too caught up in wanting to grab the next big thing instead of just keeping the best players.
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -50)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BALCO All-Stars » Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:18 pm

KCollins1304 wrote:In most circumstances your 4 best players should be the ones with the highest ADP for 2010. 4 keepers is still a relatively shallow league assuming it's 10-12 teams, so I would keep the 4 players who will help you win the most in 2010 in most cases. Don't get caught holding onto someone like Wieters because he is a sexy pick in this type of league because he isn't nearly worth a top 4 round pick(unless your roster is in shambles). In some instances you might want to take a younger guy over an older guy if their values for 2010 are similar. Some people in keeper leagues get too caught up in wanting to grab the next big thing instead of just keeping the best players.

+1 to this. I'm in a 14 team, 5 keeper league and every owner in the league WAY overprices young talent, while guys like Abreu don't get kept. Keep the top 4 ADP guys, while giving the younger (and improving) guys a slight uptick.
BALCO All-Stars
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby fbc_fan » Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:13 am

4 x teams. if they fall within that range, keep them. if the player is worth being drafted in the first four rounds of your draft, they're a keeper. there will still be plenty of talent around after that unless you are in a really deep league. imo, upside picks come when you are keeping more players and a young player might be worth the risk over a veteran. good luck.
thanks to madison/go_jays_go for the slick sig!
fbc_fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby markj11 » Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:29 am

I agree with these guys. Also, if it comes down to deciding between 2 for the last keeper:
No RP, hitting>pitching, young>old
I ain't askin' nobody for nothin, If I can't get it on my own. - Charlie Daniels
markj11
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -10)

Postby kab21 » Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:38 pm

I would keep the 4 that you think that are the 4 best players and not the 4 with the highest projected ADP. ADP is only a tool, go with your rankings/preferences.

I probably use an 80% weighting for the 2010 season and 20% for the upside beyond that in keeper leagues. Of course this changes with different leagues. In a 12 team 4 keeper league then I might focus more on the next season since it's shallow (mostly a redraft league) while in a 24 team dynasty (35 player keeper) I will give more weighting to youth and upside since it is very difficult to find new players.
My website - The World Is Not That Big
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 108)

Postby octagon999 » Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:23 pm

Thanks guys, maybe factoring in things like position scarcity? Some good thoughts to go on, as always.
octagon999
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 14)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby kab21 » Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:00 pm

octagon999 wrote:Thanks guys, maybe factoring in things like position scarcity? Some good thoughts to go on, as always.

Position scarcity should already be factored in when you are doing your rankings (or consulting ADP's) so don't add it in again. Of course a scenario a little different than scarcity are the rest of your keepers. it would be far from ideal to keep 3 1B's in a 4 keeper league (it's time to trade).
My website - The World Is Not That Big
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 108)

Postby suzthecool21 » Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:30 am

Thanks for the info. I'm a newbie and that's helpful. Thank you.
suzthecool21
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

(Past Year: -1)

Return to Baseball Leftovers