Return to Baseball Leftovers

Steve Berthiaume: In Love w/Showalter, or Just Plain Stupid?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Steve Berthiaume: In Love w/Showalter, or Just Plain Stupid?

Postby JTWood » Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:05 pm

You decide...

Let me jump you into the article. First, Steve complains that the Yanks & BoSox play too much, then he starts kissing Buck's butt:

ESPN.com wrote:Why, going into the second-to-last weekend of August, would we want a system that has the Reds and Pirates scheduled to play each other 13 MORE times? Ugh. We need to fix this. For that, we need the man with the plan, Buck Showalter. Buck has been kicking around his own realignment plan for a while now, and this weekend we talked him into explaining it on "Baseball Tonight." If you missed it, here's the short version …

First, contract two teams. Baseball almost did this a few years ago and it might be time to look at it again. We're back to "less is more." Which two teams go is an entirely separate issue, so let's not get bogged down in that argument here. For the purposes of this discussion, we contracted the two Florida teams -- so, Marlins and Rays, you're gone. That leaves 28 teams, which Buck has organized into four, seven-team divisions. There is no more American League and National League. That idea is archaic and goes away as well.

Every team plays every other team six times per season -- three at home and three away. There's your 162-game schedule. The idea embraces baseball's current love affair with interleague play; fans see every team, every year. It also gives you a uniform DH policy. You can decide for yourself if you want it or not; DH in or out. Either way is fine, but make a decision, everyone plays with it or no one does.

The Showalter Plan realigns as follows, with four divisions of seven teams each, arranged geographically to keep all divisions as much within the same time zone as possible -- another simple, common-sense idea. Gee, how novel. Here it is:

Click here to see the layout and read the rest of this trash.

A) Punt the Rays???
B) The idea of two leagues is "archaic"???
C) I love how he's just "You decide whatever you want to do with the DH issue and playoff format" issues. Like they're not really contentious points of debate or anything.
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -255)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Steve Berthiaume: In Love w/Showalter, or Just Plain Stupid?

Postby KCollins1304 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:29 pm

If every team is playing every other team 6 times what difference does it make if teams in your division are in different time zones? :-?

Also, I love the idea of contracting teams just so we can have a number of teams that is divisible by 4.
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -50)

Postby KCollins1304 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:45 pm

Ok, now I read the whole article. What crap. If you're balancing the schedule, it completely defeats the purpose of having divisions at all. If they were to go to a completely balanced schedule it would make a lot more sense to just seed the top 8 teams in a tournment (1v8,2v7, etc.). Also he uses the Orioles as a reason to support the new system, saying that it is unfair that they play the Rays, Yankees, and Red Sox 18 times a piece. He solved part of that problem by deleting the Rays, but now they play the Yankees and Red Sox 6 times a piece. But guess what, they still need to have a better record than either of them to be able to make the playoffs in the new fixed system. The problem for the Orioles is that they're in the same divison as the Yankees and Red Sox, not the amount of times they're playing them. The Orioles could play the Yankees and Red Sox 1 time a season or 100 times a season and it wouldn't change the fact they're going to be stuck behind them in the standings(this year's version of the Orioles). Also, the same weak divisions still exist. The Babe Ruth division is still vastly superior to any of the other 3 divisions. My favorite part is the whole condescending tone of the article like anyone who doesn't agree with Showalter's plan is an idiot and that Showalter is some genius that has been perfecting this system in his mom's basement since he was fired as the Rangers manager. I can pull a better plan out of my butt at a moment's notice that wouldn't be anything revolutionary. [/rant]
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -50)

Postby JTWood » Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:01 pm

KCollins1304 wrote:If every team is playing every other team 6 times what difference does it make if teams in your division are in different time zones? :-?

Hilarious, isn't it? We'll put people in the same time zone together to keep traveling down, but then we'll make them all travel to every city the same number of times.

Brilliant!
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -255)

Postby thejusman1 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:14 pm

I'll take the "Just Plain Stupid." I read that on ESPN.com and thought it was baloney too. Inner-division rivalries are fun because the teams play each other so often, not just because the divisional winner advances to the playoffs. This idea sounds like it would stifle the intensities of inner-division rivalries. Also, good luck on getting a league-wide consensus on the DH issue.
Last edited by thejusman1 on Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A blog for political rants, fantasy sports, and thoughts from my twisted mind. Warning: Not for children.
thejusman1
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: -5)

Postby mweir145 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:35 pm

I would love to eliminate the divisions and just play a balanced schedule (top 4 make the playoffs, which would be a football-like seeding system). Though it's never going to happen. Not with the revenues made from teams like the Sox and Yankees playing each other 18 times a year.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: -320)

Postby Thursday » Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:41 pm

I've calmed down considerably after reading the article. Not only is this some seriously faulty thinking, I love the fact that Steve Berthiaume, while bemoaning the constant hyped-up rivalry, is employed by ESPN, the same network that televises these same Red Sox-Yankees matchups virtually every time they play each other. Bite not the hand that feeds, Berthiaume.
Thursday
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -1)

Postby SpecialFNK » Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:09 pm

i would be fine with realignment, aslong as the Jays moved out of the AL East. as a Jays fan i would be happy because the Jays might actually have a chance at contending for a championship, because they could be one of the better teams in baseball if not for the fact they play not only in the division with NY/BOS but have to play them so often.

i dont think i would have that much of a problem with the current un balanced schedule if in playing the teams in your division more that you could spread out the games through the entire season instead of playing a series against a team and then within a short time period your playing that same team again.

i doubt baseball would just contract 2 teams simply to create better balanced divisions. to get into a debate over what teams to contract i wouldnt pick either of the Florida teams. the Marlins might not get alot of fan support, but theyve won more championships in recent years than alot of other organizations. if your going to contract teams i would start with Pittsburgh.

i would like to see a more balanced schedule, but have the top 4 teams in each league make the playoffs regardless of divisions. i think the divisions are there more to cut down on traveling.
if your going to have divisions and use that way for playoffs maybe make winning the division mean more, like 2 divisions with the top 6 teams making the playoffs and the 2 division winners getting 1st round byes in the playoffs. that would make winning your division more important.

one of the biggest changes baseball should do is get rid of the all star game deciding home field advantage, thats BS! how hard is it to give home field advantage to the team with the most wins during the season?
SpecialFNK
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 38)

Postby swyck » Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:06 pm

SpecialFNK wrote:i would be fine with realignment, aslong as the Jays moved out of the AL East. as a Jays fan i would be happy because the Jays might actually have a chance at contending for a championship, because they could be one of the better teams in baseball if not for the fact they play not only in the division with NY/BOS but have to play them so often.

And yet the Rays took the division last year and went on to the World Series. :-b
swyck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 12)

Postby AussieDodger » Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:37 pm

JTWood wrote:Image

:-L
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -37)

Return to Baseball Leftovers