Return to Baseball Leftovers

Dodger's save today...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Dodger's save today...

Postby bazzy_51 » Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:58 pm

just inquiring, btw didn't know if this was a player update or not don't think it is but anyways...

why did Broxton come in in the 8th inning today and Sherrill in the 9th to score Brox the Hold and Sherrill the save? i know the game was 2-0, were they concerned with the Cubs scoring in the 8th so wanted to protect the lead with their 'closer' there and then take their chances in the last inning, or something different?

im probably looking to much into this, and im guessing its more of the first situation just protecting the league, but and Dodger gurus or anyone watching the game with any insight?
Great thanks to soto for the sweet sig!...
bazzy_51
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: -4)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Dodger's save today...

Postby heyeaglefn » Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:46 pm

Sherrill recorded his first save as a Dodger on Sunday in a 2-0 win against the Cubs.
Recommendation: With Jonathan Broxton pitching the ninth no less. Interesting development, but perhaps Joe Torre was simply deploying his best reliever against in the most appropriate manner in the eighth.
(Rotowire.com)
heyeaglefn
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -1)

Postby jackie hayes » Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:55 pm

I was watching the game, but the announcers (Cubs broadcast) didn't seem to have any privy info.

Best guess is just that he used Broxton for the big bats. The matchups don't look too great (small samples, obv, but Bradley-Lee-Ramirez were 6-for-12 against Broxton, career), but I can't see any other way to explain it. Sherrill's been good for the Dodgers...but not that good.

Btw, Broxton's now pitched in 5 days out of the last 6 -- anyone think Sherrill could vulture another one tomorrow?
jackie hayes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 16)

Postby bazzy_51 » Sun Aug 23, 2009 2:11 am

jackie hayes wrote:I was watching the game, but the announcers (Cubs broadcast) didn't seem to have any privy info.

Best guess is just that he used Broxton for the big bats. The matchups don't look too great (small samples, obv, but Bradley-Lee-Ramirez were 6-for-12 against Broxton, career), but I can't see any other way to explain it. Sherrill's been good for the Dodgers...but not that good.

Btw, Broxton's now pitched in 5 days out of the last 6 -- anyone think Sherrill could vulture another one tomorrow?

ahhh duh me, didn't even think about that batter/pitcher matchup... thats a good call, i was figuring they were trying to lockdown the 2-0 lead, but yeah playing better odds would be the best explanation.

as for the Sherrill save, he showed he could get it done with a slim lead, so i wouldn't be too surprised if he does, how many pitches for Brox in those 5 games? i just looked at his game log and saw that in his last 5 he also has 1 L and 1 BS, not getting tired is he? 3.65 in 12.1IP in the last month 1W, 4SV, also 3 of his 5 blown saves on the season have also come in the last month. i know hes a horse and been great overall all year, but is he showing a nick in the armor?
Great thanks to soto for the sweet sig!...
bazzy_51
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: -4)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:50 am

I wouldn't read too much into this, other than Torre wanting to mow down the heart of the order with his top stopper, albeit the decision was quite odd even if the matchups would've been better for Lee/A-Ram/Fukudome had Sherrill pitched the 8th.

That said, having Sherrill in the pen gives Torre flexibility, knowing he has a setup man with some record of good closing experience. Also, methinks Broxton is past the big toe problem from a physical standpoint, but maybe the toe remains a mental thing.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 370)

Postby KCollins1304 » Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:17 am

I'm more surprised that Torre could think outside the box.
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -50)

Postby Dan Lambskin » Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:29 am

this thread got me thinking...someone should create a sticky thread where we can discuss closers and saves and things of that nature.

can i get a cool lightbulb for that?
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: -115)

Postby Madison » Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:51 am

bazzy_51 wrote:as for the Sherrill save, he showed he could get it done with a slim lead,

21 saves with a 1.87 ERA, so it was known before that particular save that Sherrill could get the job done. :-D

<----I'm just an annoyed Sherrill owner who watched him go from a fine closer to a set up man. :~(
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -5140)

Postby Pochucker » Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:11 am

I prefer the conspiracy theory lol. Day after Broxton complains about being "tired" Torre brings him in anyways --just not in save situation. Who's in charge young man?
Pochucker
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -10)

Return to Baseball Leftovers