Return to Baseball Leftovers

Yahoo player news popup usefulness or lack there of...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Yahoo player news popup usefulness or lack there of...

Postby Bwanna » Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:32 pm

So, the player news pop up that Yahoo added this year, is handy for checking out the latest news, but personally, I find the rest of the info displayed almost useless.

Useless stuff IMO:
1. O-Rank
2. % Owned
3. Changed
5. Game log with only scores listed
4. Comparison data for the entire season

What I would like to see...
1. Game log data as shown on their player page from the last 10 games or so
2. Player age
3. ??

[reg season/playoffs]
LFoD '08 [1st/3rd], '10 [1st/3rd], '11 [1st/2nd], '12 [1st/1st], '13, [1st/2nd], '14, [1st/1st]
BRAL '09 2nd, '10 1st
Bwanna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 20)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Yahoo player news popup usefulness or lack there of...

Postby y2jayjk » Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:13 pm

Agreed. I get annoyed when they don't have Fantasy Advice under the news, either.
y2jayjk
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Neato Torpedo » Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:45 pm

Thu, Aug 20

3B Chone Figgins turned in a pair of outstanding defensive plays in Wednesday's game. The Angels have not committed an error in their past six games or 61 innings and only one in their past nine games. After the game, Figgins celebrated with his family at IHOP, ordering a large stack of blueberry pancakes. When pressed by reporters on why he chose blueberry pancakes over the clearly superior strawberry banana pancakes, Figgins said, "None of your damn business, now leave me alone to eat."
(Yahoo! Sports)
Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -52)

Postby killertofu2222 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:09 pm

Neato Torpedo wrote:Thu, Aug 20

3B Chone Figgins turned in a pair of outstanding defensive plays in Wednesday's game. The Angels have not committed an error in their past six games or 61 innings and only one in their past nine games. After the game, Figgins celebrated with his family at IHOP, ordering a large stack of blueberry pancakes. When pressed by reporters on why he chose blueberry pancakes over the clearly superior strawberry banana pancakes, Figgins said, "None of your damn business, now leave me alone to eat."
(Yahoo! Sports)

;-D
"We can't stop here. This is BAT country!"
killertofu2222
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -1)
Location: I come from the land where the ocean's freeze, spent 3 long months on the open seas

Postby Inukchuk » Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:12 pm

I've always backed Yahoo, but Bwanna, you're definitely right. If you think of the most useless stuff you could cram on that screen, it's guaranteed to be on there. The game log made me lol... :-b
abrunn11... the place to go for all your sig needs...
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -13)
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

Postby thejusman1 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:28 pm

If useful fantasy advice was easy to find on Yahoo Player Update cards, how would those of us who frequent the Cafe ever get an edge? I'm thankful that the player updates are anecdotal and not insightful assets casual fantasy players could use.
Last edited by thejusman1 on Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A blog for political rants, fantasy sports, and thoughts from my twisted mind. Warning: Not for children.
thejusman1
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: -5)

Postby Bwanna » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:12 pm

I really don't care if fantasy advice is on there, and I just want some relevant stats so that I can make own decisions. And, there are none.
[reg season/playoffs]
LFoD '08 [1st/3rd], '10 [1st/3rd], '11 [1st/2nd], '12 [1st/1st], '13, [1st/2nd], '14, [1st/1st]
BRAL '09 2nd, '10 1st
Bwanna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 20)

Postby Thursday » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:37 pm

Neato Torpedo wrote:Thu, Aug 20

(Yahoo! Sports)

High-larious. I lol'd. 5 stars. ;-D

I do like the player updates when they include advice. If I remember correctly, most updates like 2 years ago always included that, and the "stickies" weren't always on every player all of the time. They had meaning and substance. Now, they have some "huh, i didn't know that" bits, but no real info. And as I always love to say about Yahoo; you get what you pay for, and in this case, you pay nothing.
Thursday
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -1)

Postby markj11 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:27 am

Bwanna wrote:
5. Game log with only scores listed

I use this with SPs to see who their next start is against.
I ain't askin' nobody for nothin, If I can't get it on my own. - Charlie Daniels
markj11
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -10)

Postby TDS-MN » Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:50 am

I do like that it generally does show opponents coming up for the SP's. Helpful when looking for a spot-starter. I have not really found a good use for the hitters yet. I do like being able to access the information in that manner, at least. An improvement over the previous player window pop-ups.

The biggest frustration I havem though, is not really with the popup, but the "news" content. You sometimes get "news" from many days prior, and it gets the red "star" as a new update. Been reading about Matsui's knee needing to be drained and that he left saturday's game or whatever it was, but he's played since and there's no mention of the most recent game action. Granted that is a different issue, and Yahoo would probably have that using this player window or not. But I guess it's been more noticeable this season, for me.
TomS.
Mpls, MN
TDS-MN Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 2)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers