Return to Baseball Leftovers

Mauer, where did the power come from?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Mauer, where did the power come from?

Postby kweiss » Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:59 pm

Nearly half of his career homers have come this year.

I realize Mauer has been projected to have the potential for 30 homers for a while now, but why? He never showed it in the minors and never showed it in the pros until now.

Has he made some sort of adjustment that has turned him from a high average contact guy into a masher too? What's going on here?
kweiss
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Mauer, where did the power come from?

Postby GiantsFan14 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:04 pm

roids obv
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -57)

Postby J35J » Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:12 pm

.392BABIP and 25.3% HR/FB

Next year that BABPI will drop by probably around .050 and the HR/FB will probably almost drop by half. He'll be very overrated next year, IMHO. Awesome catcher and may be the #1 catcher to take next year but he's having a crazy good year that he won't.....probably will never.... duplicate.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -42)

Postby nsulham » Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:20 pm

J35J wrote:.392BABIP and 25.3% HR/FB

Next year that BABPI will drop by probably around .050 and the HR/FB will probably almost drop by half. He'll be very overrated next year, IMHO. Awesome catcher and may be the #1 catcher to take next year but he's having a crazy good year that he won't.....probably will never.... duplicate.

Perhaps, but he's just such a natural freak of an athlete and other guys would kill to have his swing so it's not out of the realm of possibility he's scratching the surface of what he is. Either way let's enjoy the ride. I'll hear and give you Tex and Jeter but Mauer has to be considered the MVP right now.
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -38)

Postby J35J » Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:30 pm

nsulham wrote:

Perhaps, but he's just such a natural freak of an athlete and other guys would kill to have his swing so it's not out of the realm of possibility he's scratching the surface of what he is. Either way let's enjoy the ride. I'll hear and give you Tex and Jeter but Mauer has to be considered the MVP right now.

No doubt he's a freak and absolutely the MVP this year but some of those numbers are ridiculous....its like having Ryan Howards HR/FB rate and guys like Babe Ruth, Ted Williams and Lou Gehrig have matched that BABIP and they've only done it once in their careers. I can absolutely see him hitting .320-.330 with 20 hr a few more times but .350+ with 30+hr I'm going to have to see again to believe.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -42)

Postby bazzy_51 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:43 pm

J35J wrote:
nsulham wrote:

No doubt he's a freak and absolutely the MVP this year but some of those numbers are ridiculous....its like having Ryan Howards HR/FB rate and guys like Babe Ruth, Ted Williams and Lou Gehrig have matched that BABIP and they've only done it once in their careers. I can absolutely see him hitting .320-.330 with 20 hr a few more times but .350+ with 30+hr I'm going to have to see again to believe.

i 100% back this, his ratios and average to me are all way inflated, but like J said i can definitely say a little over .320 with confidence but the 30+ hr of this year are way over the top.
Great thanks to soto for the sweet sig!...
bazzy_51
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: -4)

Postby DbacksRback » Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:35 pm

GiantsFan14 wrote:roids obv

Absolutely
DbacksRback
General Manager
General Manager

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 20)

Postby Padres Fan » Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:27 am

I doubt it's roids, i don't know why there are so many Mauer haters, scouts always projected power from him, but I think he was more concerned about making contact and being a good catcher, also he is 26 and starting his prime seasons so he might have finally put it all together. Also maybe all those nagging injuries early on limited him.
Padres Fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: -1)

Postby lastingsgriller » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:50 am

as someone that is from Minnesota and has watch the majority of twins games over the past 5 years.. here is my take.

Mauer has always hit the ball really hard. he ALWAYS makes solid contact.. this year I have see him pull the ball more than anytime in his career.. especially to the right center power alley.. but the funny thing is that he only does it when he can mash to the gap..

he could always slap the ball the other way with that fading line drive.. I just think he is getting more confidence in his ability to destroy pitchers mistakes..

I honestly think we are just scratching the surface here.. if I had to guess, I'd say we are looking at a Pujols type hitter here. just not quite as strong.. averaging .335 with 25-30 hr for the rest of his career is not at all out of the realm of possibility..
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 81)

Postby Yoda » Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:05 am

He is a line drive hitter who is still growing. The thought was that he would reach 20 HR in his peak by turning some of those doubles into HRs. I think he is a legit 20 HR threat going forward but as always has been, the key is his health.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -153)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers