Return to Baseball Leftovers

Strasburg Signs For 4 Years, $15.1 Million

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Nats Unsure They'll Sign Strasburg by Monday Deadline

Postby walkoffblast » Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:14 am

Big Pimpin wrote:
walkoffblast wrote:
KCollins1304 wrote:I wonder if the Nats will keep him arbitration eligible after the 4 years or if his contract says he's a free agent after 4 years. :-?

At first I wondered this then remembered I do not even think that is a possibility the way mlb rules work. Based on what I have been reading I think by 4 years they mean the nats have him signed for his pre arbitration years (counting the rest of this year as one of the 4). So its basically a fancy way to spread out what is all essentially a bonus anyway.

It just means his salaries have been predetermined for the next four years (2010-2013). If he was to stick in the bigs starting next year, his first arbitration year would be bought out. It doesn't affect the six years of team control. And the major league deal means if they want him to go to the minors he has to be optioned, so he can only be there a max of three years before being brought up as opposed to six.

(Ackley signed a similar five year major league deal.)

He is not signed for 2013 like I suspected.

LA Times wrote:The signing bonus is $7.5 million, payable in three installments of $2.5 million each. The first payment is due 15 days after the contract is approved. The second payment is due Jan. 10, 2010. The third payment is due Jan. 10, 2011.

Strasburg gets a prorated share of the minimum major league salary of $400,000 this season. He is guaranteed $2 million in 2010, $2.5 million in 2011 and $3 million in 2012.
walkoffblast
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -18)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Strasburg Signs For 4 Years, $15.1 Million

Postby Yoda » Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:21 am

Great signing for the Nats.

I was very fortunate to see him live and dominate at SDSU this year and was hoping to see what he can do against the pros but it looks like it won't happen until 2010.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -153)

Postby AquaMan2342 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:46 am

bigken117 wrote:Told ya

bigken117 wrote:relax....he'll sign
it's all posturing by both sides but both sides know something will get done.

AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -120)
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Postby raiders_umpire » Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:46 am

Great signing for the Nats. I figured it would come down to the last few minutes, but both parties had way too much to lose by not getting this deal done.
raiders_umpire

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -786)

Postby Big Pimpin » Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:30 pm

walkoffblast wrote:
Big Pimpin wrote:
walkoffblast wrote:
At first I wondered this then remembered I do not even think that is a possibility the way mlb rules work. Based on what I have been reading I think by 4 years they mean the nats have him signed for his pre arbitration years (counting the rest of this year as one of the 4). So its basically a fancy way to spread out what is all essentially a bonus anyway.

It just means his salaries have been predetermined for the next four years (2010-2013). If he was to stick in the bigs starting next year, his first arbitration year would be bought out. It doesn't affect the six years of team control. And the major league deal means if they want him to go to the minors he has to be optioned, so he can only be there a max of three years before being brought up as opposed to six.

(Ackley signed a similar five year major league deal.)

He is not signed for 2013 like I suspected.

LA Times wrote:The signing bonus is $7.5 million, payable in three installments of $2.5 million each. The first payment is due 15 days after the contract is approved. The second payment is due Jan. 10, 2010. The third payment is due Jan. 10, 2011.

Strasburg gets a prorated share of the minimum major league salary of $400,000 this season. He is guaranteed $2 million in 2010, $2.5 million in 2011 and $3 million in 2012.

Yeah, still four years with this year counting. Ackley might be 2009-2013 as well, depending on whether 2009 is explicitly written into his contract. It appears that the Nats may well want Strasburg to get his feet wet this year, hence the 2009 contract.
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -487)

Postby walkoffblast » Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:52 pm

Yeah, still four years with this year counting. Ackley might be 2009-2013 as well, depending on whether 2009 is explicitly written into his contract. It appears that the Nats may well want Strasburg to get his feet wet this year, hence the 2009 contract.

He has to be signed for 2009 regardless, actually by most accounts, even Boras, Strasburg will not see the majors this year. Surprisingly Boras said that he did not even have to see them next year if washington felt it was best.
walkoffblast
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Big Pimpin » Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:56 pm

walkoffblast wrote:

He has to be signed for 2009 regardless, actually by most accounts, even Boras, Strasburg will not see the majors this year. Surprisingly Boras said that he did not even have to see them next year if washington felt it was best.

Yes, he has to be signed, but I don't think the four years (or five, in Ackley's case) of salaries in the contract have to include 2009.
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby walkoffblast » Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:39 pm

Big Pimpin wrote:
walkoffblast wrote:

Yes, he has to be signed, but I don't think the four years (or five, in Ackley's case) of salaries in the contract have to include 2009.

I doubt you can just ignore 2009, especially on major league deals.
walkoffblast
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Big Pimpin » Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:48 pm

walkoffblast wrote:
Big Pimpin wrote:
walkoffblast wrote:

I doubt you can just ignore 2009, especially on major league deals.

That may be the case, it's just that everything I read last night had the two deals starting with the 2010 season. Of course it all could have been wrong. Baseball's rules are crazy (fourth option year that no one understands!) so I wouldn't be surprised either way. :-B
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby Padres Fan » Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:46 pm

So when will he be available to grab in ESPN/Yahoo leagues so I can stash him lol
Padres Fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: -1)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers