Return to Baseball Leftovers

Smoltz DFA'd

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Smoltz DFA'd

Postby RedSoxNation04 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:42 pm

Maris09 wrote:
JTWood wrote:Even his first inning isn't very good. OBA of .260+. Lots of walks...

He needs work.

In his last 7 starts, against everybody's 1, 2, and 3 hitters...he gave up 1 run 1 time.
Especially with a switch to the NL, he still has the stuff to be a dominant closer IMO.

I think the issue is that he doesn't want to come out of the pen not knowing when he's going to pitch. He wants to start and be on a reliable schedule that he can prepare for. It's too bad he didn't work out in Boston, I was really hoping he would get better with each start and stick out for a playoff run. I hope things go better for him in St Louis.
RedSoxNation04
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker
(Past Year: -15)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Maris09 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:02 pm

RedSoxNation04 wrote:
Maris09 wrote:
JTWood wrote:Even his first inning isn't very good. OBA of .260+. Lots of walks...

He needs work.

In his last 7 starts, against everybody's 1, 2, and 3 hitters...he gave up 1 run 1 time.
Especially with a switch to the NL, he still has the stuff to be a dominant closer IMO.

I think the issue is that he doesn't want to come out of the pen not knowing when he's going to pitch. He wants to start and be on a reliable schedule that he can prepare for. It's too bad he didn't work out in Boston, I was really hoping he would get better with each start and stick out for a playoff run. I hope things go better for him in St Louis.

Yeah I hear ya. And maybe he's not able to go back to back days or even twice in 3 days, but it's kind of a shame he tried to be a starter last year. I think he could have been dominant as a closer last year and could have gone a few more in that role.
Maris09
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 5)

Postby bazzy_51 » Sun Aug 23, 2009 5:04 pm

liking the move back to the NL, and esspectially liking the 'risk' add to start today, thus far at least ;) those 4 Ks with only 1H and 0BB are nice... keep it goin Smoltzy im still a fan!!
Great thanks to soto for the sweet sig!...
bazzy_51
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: -4)

Postby AquaMan2342 » Sun Aug 23, 2009 5:07 pm

bazzy_51 wrote:liking the move back to the NL, and esspectially liking the 'risk' add to start today, thus far at least ;) those 4 Ks with only 1H and 0BB are nice... keep it goin Smoltzy im still a fan!!

He is playing against San Diego though. Still nice to see him pitch well, but it's hard to put a lot of stock into what he does today.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -120)
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Postby JTWood » Sun Aug 23, 2009 5:52 pm

Smoltz fanned 7 Padres batters in a row.

That's like striking out 4 real MLB batters in a row! :-)
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -255)

Postby bazzy_51 » Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:17 pm

AquaMan2342 wrote:
bazzy_51 wrote:liking the move back to the NL, and esspectially liking the 'risk' add to start today, thus far at least ;) those 4 Ks with only 1H and 0BB are nice... keep it goin Smoltzy im still a fan!!

He is playing against San Diego though. Still nice to see him pitch well, but it's hard to put a lot of stock into what he does today.

understood, but its still a hell of alot better to be getting 5IP 3H 0ER 0BB and 9Ks and a potential win, as compared to 3.1IP 9H 8ER 4BB 3K and a loss... so albeit its just the Pads, but he still looked damn good in the start...
Great thanks to soto for the sweet sig!...
bazzy_51
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: -4)

Postby horatio » Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:42 pm

John Smoltz once struck out the Dos Equis "Most interesting man in the world" 5 times in one game.
horatio
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -3)

Postby JTWood » Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:00 pm

MLB.com wrote: SAN DIEGO -- The competition level was different. A mechanical tweak didn't hurt. But maybe one other thing went into John Smoltz's eye-catching game against the Padres on Sunday. Maybe the hitters didn't know what was coming.

Among the various explanations for the five shutout innings Smoltz pitched -- highlighted by nine strikeouts -- was that he and the Cardinals believe he may have stopped tipping his pitches to opposing hitters, particularly when he pitched from the stretch. The Cardinals' staff had the right-hander make an adjustment following a bullpen session he threw on Thursday, and the results were hard to argue with.

"It's pretty clear he was tipping his pitches," manager Tony La Russa said after the game.

Full article here
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -255)

Postby mweir145 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:49 pm

The difference in quality between the AL East and NL Central is enormous. Based on yesterday's start, it appears Smoltz could definitely have some value down the stretch.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: -320)

Postby bigh0rt » Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:12 pm

mweir145 wrote:The difference in quality between the AL East and NL Central is enormous. Based on yesterday's start, it appears Smoltz could definitely have some value down the stretch.

Right on cue.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 376)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers