Return to Baseball Leftovers

Gallardo vs J. Johnson

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Gallardo vs J. Johnson

Postby Great Gazoo » Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:59 pm

I have seen very little pitching from either one (we get very little variety for games in the south).

They are both young and in their first full year back from injuries. They both are legitimite #1's and have the potential to stick around for a while. Who has the better arsenal? Who has the higher long term ceiling? Who has the better year end stats?

If I had to venture a guess, it would be Gallardo, but I have no numbers to back that up.

Thoughts from any that are familiar with their respective situations.
Great Gazoo
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Gallardo vs J. Johnson

Postby B-Chad » Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:32 pm

Coming into the season I think it was a clear Gallardo on all questions. Now I think Johnson has narrowed the gap and will finish with better year end stats (though wins are flukey and could go either way, I'll say Gallardo takes K's, though close because I think Johnson will throw enough more innings to make up for the difference in K/9, and Johnson ends with better ratios). Long term I think Gallardo gets the nod because he has better strikeout stuff, and once he begins to reduce his walk rate (which isn't bad, but could/should get better) look out, he'll be in the argument for top 5 starters I think. Johnson is starting to look more and more like he'll be a viable ace (10th-12th starter range, maybe slightly behind, but his reduced walk rate has him looking like a completely different pitcher). I own each in various leagues, so I'd say I'm somewhat unbiased. Hope that helped.
Image]
B-Chad
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 127)

Postby J35J » Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:12 pm

If Josh can keep his walk rate in check then he is better than Gallardo.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -42)

Postby Great Gazoo » Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:43 pm

B-Chad wrote:Coming into the season I think it was a clear Gallardo on all questions. Now I think Johnson has narrowed the gap and will finish with better year end stats (though wins are flukey and could go either way, I'll say Gallardo takes K's, though close because I think Johnson will throw enough more innings to make up for the difference in K/9, and Johnson ends with better ratios). Long term I think Gallardo gets the nod because he has better strikeout stuff, and once he begins to reduce his walk rate (which isn't bad, but could/should get better) look out, he'll be in the argument for top 5 starters I think. Johnson is starting to look more and more like he'll be a viable ace (10th-12th starter range, maybe slightly behind, but his reduced walk rate has him looking like a completely different pitcher). I own each in various leagues, so I'd say I'm somewhat unbiased. Hope that helped.

That was a very nice analysis. It was what I was looking for.
Great Gazoo
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby JTWood » Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:30 pm

J35J wrote:If Josh can keep his walk rate in check then he is better than Gallardo.

Then I guess that makes this poor analysis. :-D
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -255)

Postby Ender » Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:35 pm

I'd prefer Gallardo because I think his health is less of a question mark and the Brewer's defense is better.

I'm a Brewer fan so maybe that is biased though.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: -28)

Postby B-Chad » Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:55 pm

Ender wrote:I'd prefer Gallardo because I think his health is less of a question mark and the Brewer's defense is better.

While the Brewers defense is better I'd imagine it's only marginal with some of the poor defensive players on that squad no?
Image]
B-Chad
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Grounded Polo » Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:03 am

B-Chad wrote:
Ender wrote:I'd prefer Gallardo because I think his health is less of a question mark and the Brewer's defense is better.

While the Brewers defense is better I'd imagine it's only marginal with some of the poor defensive players on that squad no?

Uggla, Hanley, Cantu, and Bonifacio are an absolutely horrendous defensive infield. Bill Hall can play 3B.
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -12)

Postby B-Chad » Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:34 am

Yeah... I suppose I'm also still penalizing the Brewers for having Weeks because he is in their long term plans, and Braun is a terrible LF, but not as big a deal given Gallardo's k/rate GB rate. I guess Hardy/Hall immediately make them better off, though if they start playing Gamel at 3B the gap is reduced dramatically.
Image]
B-Chad
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Ender » Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:44 am

B-Chad wrote:

Over the past 2 seasons the Brewers have been well above average defensively now. Fielder is the only below average defensive player on the team now that Weeks is injured.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: -28)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers