Return to Baseball Leftovers

Why bottom waiver positions are best in competitive leagues

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Why bottom waiver positions are best in competitive leagues

Postby AussieDodger » Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:49 am

Neato Torpedo wrote:But even if you have last waiver priority, you have a leg up on the guys that stay up that late or wake up that early. And in not bothering to agonize over whether or not a player is worth it, we can pick the Scotts, Custs, and Pavanos with impunity, and waiver wire trash is usually significantly better than FA trash over the course of a season, especially in competitive leagues where WW gold is incredibly rare.

Thoughts?

Totally agree. ;-D

Bobbleheadrusty wrote:Why should the guy that camps on the waiver wire get those players if I'm willing to take the hit of having one of them take a spot for months until they come up.

This.
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -37)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby nsulham » Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:43 am

As someone who holds the #1 waiver in my league I've been debating the merits of grabbing Hanson should he come up sometime this month vs. Strasburg if he makes a September appearance (Wieters had already been drafted). We only keep 3 players so I'm not even sure if it's worth waiting around for only a handful of starts (if that even) for Strassy.
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -38)

Postby Polar Bear » Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:38 am

I have ever payed much attention to my waiver priority and most of the owners in my competitive league doesn't either. Right now I am sitting at 5, but I was at less than 2 weeks ago.

It has already been said, but experts overhype young pitchers.
Polar Bear
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -1)

Postby Ender » Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:29 pm

Hey I wasn't saying it was a good or a bad thing, that is just what has destroyed the waiver system so it isn't as valuable. I could go either way on whether it is good or bad.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: -28)

Postby RAmst23 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:24 pm

Ender wrote:I tend to disagree. Competitive leagues only see marginal players dropped in the first place. You'll never make a major impact with a higher waiver in them. Getting that one huge rookie is where the money is at in those types of leagues, getting a Braun can win your league for you easily.

I think this could still come back to holding onto your top pick too long. If you make the right guess and get this year's Braun, then it works in your favor. But every year, tons of rookies are called up and the one with the most hype isn't necessarily the guy to get. Instead of taking chances on several rookies, you put all your faith in that one top prospect. I think that can certainly backfire.
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -8)

Postby djxskillz » Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:54 pm

Oh man, I thought I was the only one that thought like you. I had the #1 waiver and used it on Chris Carpenter when someone dropped him at the start of the season. Since then, i've been using my #12 and #11 waiver all the time on people like Bailey, Inge, Rafael Soriano, Phil Hughes, etc...I just don't care about priority anymore as i've already gotten my stud with carpenter:)
djxskillz
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -2)

Postby auclairkeithbc » Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:34 pm

djxskillz wrote:Oh man, I thought I was the only one that thought like you. I had the #1 waiver and used it on Chris Carpenter when someone dropped him at the start of the season. Since then, i've been using my #12 and #11 waiver all the time on people like Bailey, Inge, Rafael Soriano, Phil Hughes, etc...I just don't care about priority anymore as i've already gotten my stud with carpenter:)

that isn't what the OP is saying. he's saying normally you won't find a guy like carpenter to use your #1 pick on. so you have to decide whether to use the #1 pick on brandon inge lets say, and then the low waivers the rest of the year on bailey, soriano, and whoever else.

i actually find that the guys you've mentioned above outside of carpenter are usually available as free agents, not guys that are owned then dropped making them waiver pickups. in competitive leagues, at least ones without tiny tiny benches, not many good players actually get dropped. sometimes borderline useful ones get dropped, but there isn't much of a rush to pick them up. they usually get scooped up at the beginning of a potential hot streak.
i'm the guy that puts the "nip" in omnipotent...
auclairkeithbc
General Manager
General Manager

Postby rainman23 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:27 pm

Neato Torpedo wrote:When we have a high waiver priority or even a middle one, we rarely ever use it. We wait for someone to drop Furcal or Soto, but those kinds of players don't get dropped in expert/competitive leagues. We wait for LaPorta or Strasburg, hoping for the next Dwight Gooden or Ryan Braun, but rookies usually suck. At the end of the year, it turns out that no one drops anyone good and we spent most of the year climbing the priority ladder. In doing so, guys like Luke Scott, Pavano, and Cust that hit the waiver are passed over because they're not "worth it", so we stay up until/wake up at 3-5 AM to get first dibs on guys that just cleared waivers.

But even if you have last waiver priority, you have a leg up on the guys that stay up that late or wake up that early. And in not bothering to agonize over whether or not a player is worth it, we can pick the Scotts, Custs, and Pavanos with impunity, and waiver wire trash is usually significantly better than FA trash over the course of a season, especially in competitive leagues where WW gold is incredibly rare.

Thoughts?

You've touched on points two and three of my old "Bad things that aren't SO bad":

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=272279&p=2199980&hilit=+things+that+are+bad#p2199980
rainman23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -8)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers