Re: Worst Team in Baseball

Postby davidmarver » Sun May 31, 2009 5:17 pm

CadensDad wrote:
Inukchuk wrote:
HOOTIE wrote:
Fastest to drop, Astros

+

Their farm system is awful...

Yea it's pretty bad. But if they did a fire sale I think they have the most to gain as well, Pence, Berkman, Lee, Oswalt could all produce 2 top prospects each. Then Tejada, Matsui and a few others can return 1 and some lower prospects. But I doubt it will happen

Problem with that is that the only GM dumb enough to ship two top prospects for Roy Oswalt at this point in his career is the Astros GM. You can't trade top prospects to yourself, especially if you don't have any to begin with. The Astros will have to build through free-agency for awhile.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: -328)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Padres Fan » Sun May 31, 2009 5:35 pm

davidmarver wrote:I think the Padres are getting pretty slighted by being mentioned in this thread. Bell, Mujica, Gregerson, Burke, Meredith form what has been baseball's best bullpen here in the early going. The Padres certainly could use some talent infusion offensively, but with that bullpen and Adrian Gonzalez raining offensively, the Padres will win most close games.

I follow the Padres deeply, and have to disagree, all the players mentioned most were not drafted by the Padres and where considered throwaway players (Even Gonzalez after Texas lost interest in him), The Padres have a horrible farm system and have to rely on others team unwanted players to stay aflot. Headly would be considered a marginal prospects on most teams but is the best we have here

Her is a list of the Top 10 prospects as per Baseball intelect.com as lond with their career projections.

Kellen Kulbacki OF-Average corner outfield

Mat Latos RHP-No.3 pitcher at best

Kyle Blanks 1B-Average 1B, or above average DH

Jaff Decker CF-Average CF or good 4th OF

Cedric Hunter CF-4th OF

Allan Dykstra 1B-Average 1B

Will Inman RHP-Solid No.5 or bullpen pitcher

Matt Antonelli 2B-Utility player

Wade LeBlanc LHP-Swing man/middle reliever

Erik Sodard 2B-Utility player
Padres Fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: -1)

Postby davidmarver » Sun May 31, 2009 5:48 pm

I'm not debating how they got here, but the bottom line is they've formed a very formidable bullpen. Playing in Petco will produce low-scoring, close games with high-leverage situations for the bullpen; with the current pen we have (regardless of throwaways) we'll continue to win a favorable percentage of those close ones. And it isn't as if Mujica, Burke, and Gregerson don't have track records to suggest this is a fluke; their minor league numbers are pretty good.

I don't think debating farm systems was the point of this thread. :-?
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: -328)

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Sun May 31, 2009 10:30 pm

davidmarver wrote:
CadensDad wrote:
Inukchuk wrote:
+

Their farm system is awful...

Yea it's pretty bad. But if they did a fire sale I think they have the most to gain as well, Pence, Berkman, Lee, Oswalt could all produce 2 top prospects each. Then Tejada, Matsui and a few others can return 1 and some lower prospects. But I doubt it will happen

Problem with that is that the only GM dumb enough to ship two top prospects for Roy Oswalt at this point in his career is the Astros GM. You can't trade top prospects to yourself, especially if you don't have any to begin with. The Astros will have to build through free-agency for awhile.

The problem is that Wade loves to try and win 80 games and "give himself a shot" at the playoffs, rather than realizing his team sucks, and reloading for next year.
buffalobillsrul2002
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -2)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers