Return to Baseball Leftovers

Jake Fox- Cubs

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Jake Fox- Cubs

Postby 18 and 1 » Wed May 27, 2009 1:52 pm

hett2333 wrote:
18 and 1 wrote:Jake Fox, 1B CHC
News: The Chicago Cubs recalled infielder Jake Fox and selected the contracts of infielder Andres Blanco and left-handed pitcher Jason Waddell from Triple-A Iowa. The Cubs optioned left-handed pitcher Neal Cotts and infielder Bobby Scales to Triple-A Iowa. Additionally, the club placed infielder Aaron Miles on the 15-day DL, retroactive to May 26, with a right shoulder strain.

Analysis: Fox, 26, is leading all minor league players this year in the Triple Crown categories with a .423 batting average (63-for-149), 17 home runs and 50 RBI in 40 games for Triple-A Iowa. The right-handed batter also has 40 runs, 14 doubles, two triples, a .503 on-base percentage, a .886 slugging percentage and a 1.389 OPS this season. He has seen action at first base, third base, left field, right field, catcher and DH this season. He is entering his prime and on a serious hot streak, so the Cubs will try to find at-bats for him. Consider this potential strong-man in deeper formats, mostly NL-only leagues, especially if he gets at-bats and hits right away.

Do you have any thoughts of your own on this or are you just going to copy and past cbssportline? We are fully aware he's been called up, that's the point of this thread...

Well smart arse, I posted this because nowhere in this thread mentioned his minor league stats . I thought it would be nice to have them in this thread, and also the reason why I posted them in red.
18 and 1
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Old_Style » Wed May 27, 2009 1:53 pm

hett2333 wrote:
News: The Chicago Cubs recalled infielder Jake Fox and selected the contracts of infielder Andres Blanco and left-handed pitcher Jason Waddell from Triple-A Iowa. The Cubs optioned left-handed pitcher Neal Cotts and infielder Bobby Scales to Triple-A Iowa. Additionally, the club placed infielder Aaron Miles on the 15-day DL, retroactive to May 26, with a right shoulder strain.

Analysis: Fox, 26, is leading all minor league players this year in the Triple Crown categories with a .423 batting average (63-for-149), 17 home runs and 50 RBI in 40 games for Triple-A Iowa. The right-handed batter also has 40 runs, 14 doubles, two triples, a .503 on-base percentage, a .886 slugging percentage and a 1.389 OPS this season. He has seen action at first base, third base, left field, right field, catcher and DH this season. He is entering his prime and on a serious hot streak, so the Cubs will try to find at-bats for him. Consider this potential strong-man in deeper formats, mostly NL-only leagues, especially if he gets at-bats and hits right away.

Do you have any thoughts of your own on this or are you just going to copy and past cbssportline? We are fully aware he's been called up, that's the point of this thread...

jerk
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -218)

Postby SlightlyStoopid » Wed May 27, 2009 2:20 pm

18 and 1 wrote:
hett2333 wrote:

Well smart arse, I posted this because nowhere in this thread mentioned his minor league stats . I thought it would be nice to have them in this thread, and also the reason why I posted them in red.

I for one appreciate the post. It adds to the thread without me having to look around for his numbers and qualifications. I added him in my 20 team league and was able to drop a player that had little upside and wasn't getting playing time. Usually players like this are snatched up by the time I get the info and check. Firstinning.com and other sources list him as a 1B but Yahoo has him as an OF :-S .

Thanks cafe.
SlightlyStoopid
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -19)

Postby keeks137 » Wed May 27, 2009 3:49 pm

I don't know if he's going to get consistent enough playing time to both a) be worthwhile in anything but the deepest of fantasy leagues and b) stay this hot.

Can he play third? I ashamedly don't know, even though I'm a Cubs fan, although I'm disheartened to read the one negative bit about his fielding. If he could, that'd be great, because there's a gaping hole there with Ramirez injured, Fontenot in a slump, Miles on the DL, so we have to put Fontenot there regardless, and now it sounds like Freel just pulled a hammy.

The outfield is the one area that seems to be working for the Cubs. Bradley is starting to turn it around, Fukudome has been good so far, and you're not benching Soriano a lot. Who do you take time away from?

Lee is at first and will be getting most of the playing time. It seems to me we just brought up a carbon copy of Micah Hoffpauir (sp?)- a guy that can play first and OF but is defensively shaky. You may argue Fox now supercedes Hoffpauir, but that's no good- why take time away from one of your best hitters at the moment?

Anyhow, it'll be interesting, but I don't see consistent starting time for him without some additional injuries, unless they're planning on slotting him into third.
http://www.thedugs.com Baseball Webcomics
keeks137
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby 18 and 1 » Wed May 27, 2009 4:05 pm

I hope he does well enough to get traded to the AL. He has DH in his future.
18 and 1
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Neato Torpedo » Wed May 27, 2009 4:28 pm

Or along with Guzman+Colvin for Peavy. :-?
Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -52)