Return to Baseball Leftovers

Randy Johnson - Done or Not?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Randy Johnson - Done or Not?

Postby Big Pimpin » Mon May 18, 2009 3:51 pm

Personally, I don't think so. I think he's just basically been very unlucky. His BABIP is abnormally high, and his HR/FB percentage is through the roof. There's just no reason at all to think that 30% of flyballs are going to go over the fence. His xFIP at THT is 3.66, and the only thing they do to get that figure is to normalize HR/FB. His control seems to be down a bit, but that's going to be very much driven by his 7 walk game.

Otherwise, his GB% is up, his velocity looks good, his LD% is in-line with his career numbers, he's generating swings at the same types of pitches, etc. I think he's a great buy-low if you can get him.

What do the rest of you think? Is he done? Why or why not?
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -487)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Randy Johnson - Done or Not?

Postby fbc_fan » Mon May 18, 2009 3:56 pm

Big Pimpin wrote:Personally, I don't think so. I think he's just basically been very unlucky. His BABIP is abnormally high, and his HR/FB percentage is through the roof. There's just no reason at all to think that 30% of flyballs are going to go over the fence. His xFIP at THT is 3.66, and the only thing they do to get that figure is to normalize HR/FB. His control seems to be down a bit, but that's going to be very much driven by his 7 walk game.

Otherwise, his GB% is up, his velocity looks good, his LD% is in-line with his career numbers, he's generating swings at the same types of pitches, etc. I think he's a great buy-low if you can get him.

What do the rest of you think? Is he done? Why or why not?

the statistics you have listed strongly indicate a turn around. plus he is in a good ballpark in a moderately weak division. i've been trying to buy low for a little while now. if i have him, i'm holding.
thanks to madison/go_jays_go for the slick sig!
fbc_fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby SpecialFNK » Mon May 18, 2009 4:58 pm

i agree, not done.
i would call Johnson a buy low.
as a Johnson owner im holding him now. even if i wanted to trade him im not going to get the value back that i see for him the rest of the season.

some of his numbers as mentioned are ridiculous. 24.4% on HR/FB. his career number is 11.9%. his walk rate is high at 3.54 BB/9 but thats because of the 7 BB game. he only has 3 BB in his last 4 games, and they all came in one game at Colorado where he just happened to not get any K.. and yet his K rate is still 9.30 K/9 on the season.

could it be having a negative effect on him that he is closing in on 300 career victories? maybe thats in his mind.
SpecialFNK
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 38)

Postby Ender » Mon May 18, 2009 5:02 pm

He had some terrible stretches last year too so I think he probably gets on a roll at some point.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: -28)

Postby DaShiz23 » Mon May 18, 2009 6:25 pm

I do not think done, but can drive fantasy managers crazt the rest of the year. Brilliant one game, horrible the next.
I can't find someone to trade him to, and can't bring myself to drop him. I guess it helps that I can't find it easy to drop him because no one worth anything is available.
He will sit on my bench, pitch a gem, and start for me, where he will have a start like his last one (13.75 ERA and 2.75 WHIP).

:-t
DaShiz23
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 7)

Postby Carnac » Mon May 18, 2009 7:36 pm

Too much to try to guess which RJ shows up. I'd rather have a bum like Nolasco who you know will suck EVERY game. That way you keep him on your bench all the time. :~(
Carnac
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 169)

Postby ayebatter » Tue May 19, 2009 10:41 am

He's driving me nuts, and I have him in way too many leagues. I don't think he's done, but he certainly can't be counted on start to start. I'd appreciate a month long DL stint so I could get my era/whip in check, or one of you guys who wants to buy low so I could wash my hands of the whole thing.
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 762)

Postby IVIisfits138 » Tue May 19, 2009 10:46 am

I don't know. He had better get to 300 wins and quick because he is only a slider/change up pitcher now if he wants to get people out.
Do Work
IVIisfits138
College Coach
College Coach

Postby urbanbreez » Tue May 19, 2009 11:33 am

Dropped him and not looking back. You are better off spot starting vs weak teams each week. He looks old and done.
urbanbreez
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -14)

Postby T-Bone Costanza » Tue May 19, 2009 11:40 am

I've been starting to prune the Big Unit from my teams. I can't deal with the inconsistency mentioned earlier in the thread. In fact it's seemed like way more bad than good lately.
T-Bone Costanza
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers