Return to General Talk

Gov't Forces Family to Get Chemo for Son

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Gov't Forces Family to Get Chemo for Son

Postby acsguitar » Fri May 15, 2009 9:16 pm

GiantsFan14 wrote:
Neato Torpedo wrote:If I shoot someone, can I plead stupidity on the grounds that I thought guns shot rainbows and candy instead of bullets?

i lol'd

That would make a sweet ratchet and clank weapon
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
(Past Year: -117)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bigken117 » Fri May 15, 2009 9:42 pm

CadensDad wrote:
If stupid people couldn't breed, it'd mean over half the people here at the cafe wouldn't be alive.

It sure would be different around here without you.
http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/E/Jacoby-Ellsbury.shtml
http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=24
http://twitter.com/#!/baseballcafe
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Fantasy-Baseball-Cafe/117034715055181?sk=wall
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -1076)

Postby AussieDodger » Fri May 15, 2009 11:37 pm

You should have to pass a very very basic "moron" test or snip snip you sterile.

Would solve A LOT of problems.

Maybe the question should be "If your kid has cancer do you... A. Ask a fictional character to take the cancer away e.g He-Man or H.R Pufnstuf, B. Get appropriate medical treatment, C. Look on the interwebs.
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -37)

Postby Neato Torpedo » Sat May 16, 2009 12:16 am

Are we allowed to Google the nearest clinic? :-o
Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -52)

Postby ThatDude » Sat May 16, 2009 2:09 am

Yes.

But going to WebMD doesn't count as seeing a doctor.
Sometimes it takes a crazy person to see the truth. If so, I'm a freaking lunatic.
ThatDude
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -10)

Postby Madison » Sat May 16, 2009 4:31 am

Must admit I'm a bit surprised at the reaction against the judge getting involved. Seemed in most threads, the majority of the people are in favor of doing whatever is in the best interest of the child (that's even the argument for those who are against abortion). So to see so many be against saving this kid's life and deciding to let him die (he will die 19 out of 20 times - 5% chance he lives) is quite odd...

Personally, I don't agree with the parents at all, and I support the state getting involved and I support the ruling. Save this kid's life.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -5140)

Postby urbanbreez » Sat May 16, 2009 4:53 am

You should have to pass a very very basic "moron" test or snip snip you sterile.

Honestly, and as much as I enjoy reading AussieDodger, this ^^^^ sounds a bit like the bad guys in WW2.

If the parents believe in holistic medicine, that is their invariable right to act as such regarding their children. Can you home school your own children? Yes. Does it matter if you're a moron? No. Can you put an infant/toddler in make-up to compete in a beauty pagent? Yes. Does it matter if it's effed up? no. But under no circumstances should the gov't be making those decisions.

This case will be reversed on constitutional rights. Watch.

If a medical professional such as Dr. Kevorkian cant administer his treatments to those wanting them, then a judge can't prescribe medicine to anyone.

And some of you remind me of this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrzMhU_4m-g&feature=related

"Weigh her on our larger scales. " :-b
urbanbreez
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -14)

Postby josebach » Sat May 16, 2009 7:48 am

Madison wrote:Must admit I'm a bit surprised at the reaction against the judge getting involved. Seemed in most threads, the majority of the people are in favor of doing whatever is in the best interest of the child (that's even the argument for those who are against abortion). So to see so many be against saving this kid's life and deciding to let him die (he will die 19 out of 20 times - 5% chance he lives) is quite odd...

Personally, I don't agree with the parents at all, and I support the state getting involved and I support the ruling. Save this kid's life.

True dat. If the statistics quoted are accurate, there's an 85% chance (90% - 5%) the parents' decision will kill the child. I'm not sure how that can't be considered neglect. What if the court does nothing and the kid dies? A lot of the same people who are against the court's ruling would blame the court for not doing something to prevent it. If the law allows the court to intervene, it's the court's responsibility to do it.

Home schooling is a poor example because even though it can screw a kid up, it's not going to kill them.
josebach
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -3)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby JTWood » Sat May 16, 2009 9:11 am

josebach wrote:True dat. If the statistics quoted are accurate, there's an 85% chance (90% - 5%) the parents' decision will kill the child. I'm not sure how that can't be considered neglect.

I doubt you'll find any resistance to that argument. I think the fear is that this establishes an unbounded precedent. At what point do you draw the line? 70%? 40%?? 5%??? And who makes the decision on what those odds are not only overall but also on a case-by-case basis? It is entirely foreseeable that parents accused of neglect will have to spend months in court just to argue about the prevailing statistics before there is ever even a hearing on the merits of the case. Who will pay those legal bills?

Additionally, who pays for forced medical treatments? If the state thinks that medical treatment should be forced, does the state have the right to make you spend personal funds on the procedures?

It's not that people don't want what's best for kids. It's that this is a massively gray legal area. This could get very messy.
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -255)

Postby AussieDodger » Sat May 16, 2009 11:01 am

urbanbreez wrote:

Honestly, and as much as I enjoy reading AussieDodger, this ^^^^ sounds a bit like the bad guys in WW2.

If the parents believe in holistic medicine, that is their invariable right to act as such regarding their children.

When you have people believing that waving a bit of incense around will cure someone else's cancer, that's when you have to step in and do something.
If you have to do that pre-emptive-ly in extreme cases, then oh well that's what it takes. ;-D
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -37)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk