Return to Baseball Leftovers

Kelly Johnson

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Kelly Johnson

Postby ctt8410 » Wed May 06, 2009 5:44 pm

Honestly, I don't get it. His walk rate is right at career norm and his K rate is down to 15%. He's hitting fewer line drives, but not enough to make up for a 100-point dip in BABIP from his career norm, and they've all turned into flyballs which isn't the worst thing for a power-hitting 2B. He should be a decent sleeper for 2B/MI production at this point, but it doesn't matter if Cox insists on platooning him with a career 84 OPS+ Omar Infante.
ctt8410
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby sarthaz » Wed May 06, 2009 10:29 pm

Infante got the start again and went 2/3 with 2 RBIs, 1 Run, 1 Walk, and 1 SB. Schafer struck out 4 times. Drop.
sarthaz
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby SpecialFNK » Thu May 07, 2009 3:18 pm

did anyone notice Kelly Johnson today?
he was back in the lineup today and he was batting in the 6 spot, and what happens.. 2 for 4. 1 R, 1 SB.
he doesnt play well in the leadoff spot, but move him lower and he produces.

however Infanta was also in the lineup in place of Chipper Jones at 3B. Infante went 1 for 5.
SpecialFNK
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 38)

Postby sarthaz » Thu May 07, 2009 4:31 pm

The return of Anderson, and hopefully McCann, should open up more opportunities like this. Very good managing from Cox. He's done this before when a utility guy gets hot, and it's worked out pretty well. I bet Yunel gets a day off soon too, allowing Infante to keep jumpstarting the offense without destroying Johnson longterm. Other important notes are that Infante had good at-bats today, even with the 1 hit, so he's still a strong choice for #1. Even better, Schafer had 0 strikeouts and tried to bunt himself on twice (once successfully). That's future leadoff material. It would seem logical to me for Cox to give Yunel a day off and start Infante at SS and then give Infante a day off and let Schafer try leadoff again, hopefully with better results than his last effort.

Even with some rotations, though, I'd be surprised to see Johnson starting more than half of the upcoming games.
sarthaz
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Havok1517 » Thu May 07, 2009 10:41 pm

truth be told. If you take away the last month of the season Johnson had a horrible 2008.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 21)

Postby Ender » Thu May 07, 2009 10:48 pm

Havok1517 wrote:truth be told. If you take away the last month of the season Johnson had a horrible 2008.

If you take out the August he had a really good 2008. He had 2 great months, 2 bad months and 2 mediocre months.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: -28)

Postby Havok1517 » Thu May 07, 2009 11:03 pm

Ender wrote:
Havok1517 wrote:truth be told. If you take away the last month of the season Johnson had a horrible 2008.

If you take out the August he had a really good 2008. He had 2 great months, 2 bad months and 2 mediocre months.

Wrong, if he take out his Sept/Oct month he's barely a Top 20 2B.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/playe ... r=2008&t=b
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer

Postby fezzik » Thu May 07, 2009 11:26 pm

Havok1517 wrote:
Ender wrote:

I haven't looked at the stats, but Ender wasn't disagreeing with you...he was simply pointing out the arbitrary nature of your analysis. It makes zero sense to make that comparison...are you taking out the best month of every other 2B when you're compiling those statistics? I doubt it...and even that would be pretty pointless, although it would even the playing field a bit.
fezzik
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: -3)

Postby Havok1517 » Thu May 07, 2009 11:30 pm

fezzik wrote:
Havok1517 wrote:
Ender wrote:

I haven't looked at the stats, but Ender wasn't disagreeing with you...he was simply pointing out the arbitrary nature of your analysis. It makes zero sense to make that comparison...are you taking out the best month of every other 2B when you're compiling those statistics? I doubt it...and even that would be pretty pointless, although it would even the playing field a bit.

Use his avg stats except the month of Sept/Oct and he had a bad year, period.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer

Postby fezzik » Thu May 07, 2009 11:32 pm

Havok1517 wrote:Use his avg stats except the month of Sept/Oct and he had a bad year, period.

Nobody said otherwise, only that the fact itself is meaningless.
fezzik
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: -3)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers