Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

Disappointed in my draft. Need some advice.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Disappointed in my draft. Need some advice.

Postby Wintersnighttraveler » Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:56 pm

I completely missed the run on Relievers in 12 team roto Yahoo league. I tried to compensate with a lot of starters but I feel overall like it is a mess. Scoring in R, HR, RBI, SB, AVG, W, SV, K, ERA, WHIP.

Everyday players
C-Brian McCann
1b-Lance Berkman
2B-Brandon Phillips
3B-Garrett Atkins (1B,3B)
SS-Khalil Greene
OF-Grady Sizemore
OF-Lastings Milledge
OF-Brad Hawpe
UTIL-Adrián González
BN-Conor Jackson
BN-J.D. Drew
BN-Paul Konerko
BN-Yunel Escobar

Pitchers
Ervin Santana( SP)
Jon Lester(SP)
Matt Cain( SP)
Justin Verlander( SP)
Kevin Slowey( SP)
Gavin Floyd(SP)
Justin Duchscherer(SP)
Andy Pettitte(SP)
Trevor Hoffman(RP)

2 SP, 2 RP, 3 P

Hoffman is already on the DL and Duchscherer and Santana might be there soon. I know they aren't going to start in their rotations.

Are there any any deep sleeper relievers I should look into?
What starters would you recommend to trade for relievers? The people in my league are really interested in Slowey but no one wants to give up a solidified closer.

What type of reliever could I expect for giving up a guy like Slowey? So far the best offer has been J.P. Howell.

Thanks for your help
Last edited by Wintersnighttraveler on Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wintersnighttraveler
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Disappointed in my draft. Need some advice.

Postby avsfan4ever33 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:37 pm

Thanks for the help on mine. :-)

I like your a lot offense overall. Khalil Greene is a bit of a weak link, though he should have a much better year in St Louis. I'd probably start Jackson over Milledge, though that's more personal preference, and it can be adjusted for matchups or whoever has the hot hand at a certain time. Your bench seems pretty solid to me.

Very nice starting pitching core. Lots of guys with high K potential, and many of them still have room to improve from last year. Verlander is in for a big bounce back year in my opinion; and well, he can't get much worse anyways. Obviously the big issue as you already stated is no relief pitchers at all, and some injuries with your SPs. I'd like to see you try and acquire at least two more closers, whether through trade or free agency. Are there any potential closers in your FA pool or are all taken?

I'd look first to trade Floyd or Pettite if you can find any takers; you may need to throw in one of your bench bats to get anything worthwhile. I like Slowey a lot this year, and I think you should be able to get more than JP Howell for him. He's probably worth a middle of the road type closer; keep fishing and see if anyone bites. If not you may have to sweeten the deal with a bat to get anything done.

Good luck!
avsfan4ever33
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -9)

Postby zechs » Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:44 pm

I'm afraid you may be using Yunel Escobar more than Khalil Greene at SS.
List your available relievers on FA. Off the top of my head, I would say the following names may be availabe: Brad Ziegler, Scott Downs, Carlos Villanueva, Chris Ray, Manny Corpas, Jose Arredondo, Steven Shell.

Help me out?
viewtopic.php?t=375014
14tm.,H2H,8x8:
C-BMolina 1B-Votto 2B-Utley 3B-Youk SS-Furcal LF-JDamon CF-BJUpton
RF-ARios UT-DLee BN-Scutaro,CBlake,Schumaker DL-JReyes
SP-SBaker RP-ABailey P-Saito,Hawkins,JJohnson,Dempster,Danks,JShields,Garza
BN-Correia,JDuch,Rowland-Smith,JGarcia
zechs
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Padres Fan » Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:26 pm

I think greene may hit .270 25hrs but Escobar is a great back up, Motte, Morrow, Lindstrom and Qualls all look legitimate, may have to move a SP for one.

please comment on mine?
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=375394
Padres Fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: -1)

Postby Wintersnighttraveler » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:04 pm

Thanks for the advice. Most of those relievers you guys mentioned are taken. The best of what's left are Heilman, Balfour, Carlson, Wade, Accardo, Corpas.

Once the season starts I will really be watching the wire, I'm sure a big closer will be injured in the first month, hopefully I can pick up his replacement.
Wintersnighttraveler
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby zechs » Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:36 am

Pick up Corpas. From what I've read, at some point he'll be a Rockies closer (via a Street trade or no Street trade). I'll be picking him up on waivers for the same reason.
Another guy to target, even though he's on DL right now, is Joel Zumaya of the Tigers. I don't think Lyon will hold up as a closer all season long.
14tm.,H2H,8x8:
C-BMolina 1B-Votto 2B-Utley 3B-Youk SS-Furcal LF-JDamon CF-BJUpton
RF-ARios UT-DLee BN-Scutaro,CBlake,Schumaker DL-JReyes
SP-SBaker RP-ABailey P-Saito,Hawkins,JJohnson,Dempster,Danks,JShields,Garza
BN-Correia,JDuch,Rowland-Smith,JGarcia
zechs
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby junkstuff » Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:05 am

Try to get as many set up men as possible. Pitchers like Balfour, Chris Ray, Jensen Lewis, all these guys are bound to close at some point or another. That or trade a starter for a reliever, because there are definitely more starters that can replace some of your SP than RP. For now, look for the relievers doing well in Spring Training and get those set up men quick.

Help Me!

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=375011
junkstuff
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Wintersnighttraveler » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:23 am

picked up jensen lewis. Lost out on Corpas to someone ahead of me on waivers.

Looks like most of the league is stockpiling closers in an effort to win SV,WHIP, ERA.
A few of these teams have just 2-3 SPs.

The value for RPs is weird.

One guy counteroffered Slowey for Carlos Villanueva. WTF is that?
Wintersnighttraveler
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby jackie hayes » Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:41 pm

Don't trade Slowey for a crappy reliever, don't settle. Just wait out the usual closer carousel until you get a decent group. In a roto league, you can afford to wait. You probably won't win the saves cat, but you'll do fine there, and blow the saves-only people out in wins and strikeouts. And honestly, guys like Cordero, Wilson, and Lyon aren't helping anybody win whip.

The Villanueva offer was because he's the handcuff for Hoffman. But Slowey's worth more than a handcuff, obviously.

I agree that SS is weak, but your starters are hurting, too. Duke and Santana are both injured to start the year, so you really can't afford to be trading Slowey for a mediocre reliever.

If Chris Ray is available, I like him a lot. Great pitcher, has been throwing really well, and Sherrill just isn't very good. If he's available, that would be my first choice (since Corpas is gone).
jackie hayes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 16)

Postby ROC AllStars » Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:33 am

Thanks for the help on mine. Out of the list of available pitchers, I guess Balfour is your best bet. Percival can't stay healthy. A guy like Heilman really has no value as a closer, as he has both Gregg and Marmol ahead of him. I'm not sure I would look to trade an SP right off the bat, especially with Santana going on the DL. SV is just one category, and like you said, there will be Svs available on the WW shortly. I would take your chances and try to nab a CL in the first few weeks of the season, and if nothing is developing, try to move Floyd or Slowey. Good luck!
"This guy leads the league in most offensive categories, including nose hair..."
ROC AllStars
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Fantasy Expert
(Past Year: 10)

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team