New poster - Can I get some input?

If you're looking for input and advice on the team you just drafted, post your roster here.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

WakaJawaka
T-Ball Trainer

New poster - Can I get some input?

Post by WakaJawaka »

11 team 5x5 Roto, Yahoo! standard scoring

7th pick

C: Pablo Sandoval
1B: Mark Texeira
2B: Chase Utley
3B: Chris Davis
SS: Jhonny Peralta
OF: Manny Ramirez
OF: Jacoby Ellsbury
OF: Lastings Milledge
UT: Joey Votto
BN: Nelson Cruz
BN: Mike Aviles
BN: Cameron Maybin

SP: Dan Haren
SP: Francisco Liriano
SP: Javier Vazquez
SP: Erik Bedard
SP: Fausto Carmona
RP: Joakim Soria
RP: Jason Motte
RP: Matt Lindstrom
RP: Troy Percival

Some points:
1) I was needing speed, which was rapidly disappearing, so I took Ellsbury while Matt Holliday was still on the board. I had plenty of power, so I didn't feel too bad.
2) I drafted Haren with Webb and Halladay still out there. I feel good about him and think Webb's work load will catch up.
3) I think my pitching staff has huge upside, but it could just as easily be a train wreck.
4) I dropped Mike Pelfrey to scoop up Cruz, who was put on waivers.

Thoughts?
WakaJawaka
T-Ball Trainer

Re: New poster - Can I get some input?

Post by WakaJawaka »

Anyone?
Texas Flats
T-Ball Trainer
Beginner: No

Re: New poster - Can I get some input?

Post by Texas Flats »

Even if you needed speed, if Holliday is still out there, you probably could have afforded to wait at least a round, maybe two before you grabbed Ellsbury. Power comes at a premium in drafts, because once the power is gone, there's no a whole lot available later. Speed is always available at the tail end of drafts, and while it's nice to get a guy who will steal 50+ for you, I don't think it's a necessity.

Haren may end up being a top-10 pitcher by year's end, but there's no way you should've passed up on Webb and Halladay. You could have taken either one of those guys, and taken Haren a round or two later. And keep in mind, Haren always falls off the second half of the season, so when it's getting close to the All-Star break you may want to think about moving him.

I think your offense can do well enough, you have a decent mix of power and speed. Peralta won't give you a great average, and neither will Milledge, but hopefully the rest of your team can counter that a little. Milledge has a good 20-20 upside, but he may have some growing pains. Batting leadoff, though, he should score you some runs with Zimm, Dunn, Dukes and the rest of that lineup behind him.

Your pitching has the potential to be lights out, but you're right, it would just as easily be a trainwreck. Liriano should be good, maybe not quite the pitcher he was a couple years ago, but he should put up solid numbers. So will Haren, and Vazquez will give you 200 K's and around a 4.00 ERA or so.

I don't know if you have any available spots for another starter (you'll need more than 5 guys throughout the whole season, so you'll have to pick up some guys at least for spot starts), and I don't know how much you really need 4 closers. Motte looks like he's going to get the bulk of the save opps, but I wouldn't be surprised if LaRussa decides to use him in another role before too long. Hopefully not... And Percival, I don't think he'll be the closer for the duration of the season. I'm still not convinced he can go consecutive days, so I don't tihnk he'll be getting as many save opps as a closer should.

The team's got a good foundation, I think you've got a decent start here. Hopefully the pitching lives up to its potential, and you should be fine.

Take a look at mine for me? Thanks.

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=374622

Return to “Analyze/Rate My Team”