Please rate my first auction team...

If you're looking for input and advice on the team you just drafted, post your roster here.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Chadgo5
T-Ball Trainer
Roster Information: 13 team keeper league (keep 7)
Roto style 6x6 (OBP + IP added)
$315 salary for 23 starters.
14 player farm team.

Please rate my first auction team...

Post by Chadgo5 »

... and I'll rate yours if you leave a link

Just completed our auction Saturday. 11 teams / 6x6 (OBP and BAA added) / $260 cap / 8 bench slots / 6 keepers / Must have 5 starters and 3 releivers.

First year of auction in this league after 15 years of drafts. The dollar values were higher than I expected and I had to overpay to get a few of these guys. NOBODY paid anything for closers which drove up the price of everyone else...

My team:

C - Russell Martin = $20
1B - Chris Davis = $1 (keeper)
2B - Kelly Johnson = $9
SS - Michael Young = $8
3B - David Wright = $39 (keeper)
OF - Nick Markakis = $13 (keeper)
OF - Jason Bay = $35
OF - Vladimir Guererro = $25
OF - Milton Bradley = $12
UT - Derek Lee = $15
UT - Nelson Cruz = $3
SP - Roy Oswalt = $19 (keeper)
SP - Francisco Liriano = $10 (keeper)
SP - Daisuke Matsuzaka = $22
SP - Aaron Harang = $7
SP - Chris Young = $3
RP - Jonathan Broxton = $3 (keeper)
RP - Francisco Cordero = $9
RP - Brad Ziegler = $1

Bench (acquired via draft after the auction, can be any position, all = $5)
3B/1B - Carlos Guillen
C - Matt Wieters
2B - Aaron Hill
SS - Ryan Theriot
OF - Jeremy Hermida
OF - Ryan Spilborghs
SP - Oliver Perez
SP - Chris Volstad
scorer8989
T-Ball Trainer
Roster Information: 12 team Roto, Standard 5x5 Yahoo
C: VMart
1B: Blake
2B: Upton
3B: Zimmerman
SS: Hardy
OF: Soriano
OF: Crawford
OF: Markakis
UT: Victorino
BN: Victorino
BN: Polanco

SP: Penny
SP: Oswalt
RP: Putz
RP: Wheeler
P: Reyes
P: Webb
P: Lincecum
BN: Snell
BN: J Shields
BN: Oliver Perez

Re: Please rate my first auction team...

Post by scorer8989 »

Thanks for your help with mine. I've not very familiar with auction leagues but I'll give it a shot. I think you have a very solid set of starting pitchers. I expect a big year out of Volstad, Liriano, Dice K. You have some great players on offense, especially your keepers. Overall, I think your team will be very competitive.
sublime8414
T-Ball Trainer

Post by sublime8414 »

Seems a little high for j-bay, vlad to me, but it's always hard to judge with keeper inflation. I think you're pretty solid overall, but i might add some OF depth. you will be able to when wieters gets called up in 4 weeks, and you can pawn martin because wieters is going to be a stud. Also, might consider grabbing some injury recovering pitcher (penny, smoltz, sheets) so that you can stay under your IP limit or wandy rodriguez and just play his home away split...not sure spending 3 roster spots on aaron hill, michael young, and theriot is worth it just for SS.
ThumperHawk
T-Ball Trainer

Post by ThumperHawk »

Thanks for the comment on my team. Chris Davis and Derrick Lee are question marks to me, but hopefully one of them will perform at 1B for you and the other would make a solid UT in any league. I think your OF is solid. I'm a big Nelson Cruz fan for this year. Jason Bay looks a little overvalued, but it sounds like non-keeper bats went for a premium in your auction. I agree with using Russell Martin as a bargaining chip when Wieters gets the call-up. You should be able to use him to significantly upgrade at a position if someone underperforms (as invariably happens every season, despite our best laid plans). Good luck.
Chadgo5
T-Ball Trainer
Roster Information: 13 team keeper league (keep 7)
Roto style 6x6 (OBP + IP added)
$315 salary for 23 starters.
14 player farm team.

Post by Chadgo5 »

Thanks for the input... keeper inflation was high and we had one team drop out which left some big name players. Rollins went for $46! Howard went for $41. Hamels $35. Peavy $35. Fielder $40. Kemp $32.

I waited through all of these crazy prices hoping they would eventually come down. Once Soriano went for $29 the last in that OF tier was Bay. Unfortunately, another guy was waiting on Bay as well. The prices never really dropped. I had the most money left so I spent on Bay. I learned to never wait on the last guy in a tier... because someone else is always waiting too. I could have had Soriano for $29.
Idahofan1
T-Ball Trainer
Roster Information: c-mccann
1b-Giambi, pujols
2b- lowell, hall
3b- Rolen
SS-Tejada
Of- Wells, Pierre, Thames
SP- Schmidt, Miner, Lester, Haren, Colon, Davis, Armas, Verlander, Wood
RP- Turnbow, Dempster, Carmona, Guardado, Julio
10 team, 5x5 H2H 11 keepers

Post by Idahofan1 »

Thanks for your help on mine.

_ _ _ _ _ _

Your offense is very good for an eleven teamer. Only complaints I would have are Vlad and Derek Lee, especially since they cost so much, but its not a huge issue. I like the Wieters/Martin combo, you ought to be able to deal one of those two for real good value in a month or so. Your rotation looks solid, couple nice bounce back candidates in Harang and Young. I don't really like Dice-K at all, he's due some regression, but at least you didn't break the bank on him. Looks like you've got a pretty good team there.
mushman05
T-Ball Trainer

Post by mushman05 »

I kindof agree with the sentiments listed above. Your offense looks very strong except for a fairly significant lack of speed, although judging by your big bats you will be able to make a move at some point down the road. also think the pitching looks very solid. A nice area of depth with which to address your deficiencies. You might start out middle of the pack in saves as Cordero has looked real shaky in the spring, but I think you'll be just fine.

Great job for your first auction draft. I joined my first auction league last year and now I'm hooked.

Please help with mine viewtopic.php?t=375311

Return to “Analyze/Rate My Team”