Return to Baseball Leftovers

Michael young and Clint Barmes split strategy

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Michael young and Clint Barmes split strategy

Postby Frances The Mute » Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:13 am

... didn't this strategy fail this week?

I mean the point is to platoon Michael Young and Clint Barmes. If you only played Barmes, that's not a platoon. All you've done is pick a late round sleeper who is performing better than your 6-7th round pick.

My platooning Carpenter worked well this week too..

Dude, I have a life and don't play in a league where I have to change my lineup every other day, This strategy is for weekly lineup h2h and maybe it works for roto. It would work even better in daily lineups I'm sure. If you knew how to read you'd know I already made that clear earlier in the thread.
Frances The Mute
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby RAmst23 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:11 am

Frances The Mute wrote:
Dude, I have a life and don't play in a league where I have to change my lineup every other day, This strategy is for weekly lineup h2h and maybe it works for roto. It would work even better in daily lineups I'm sure. If you knew how to read you'd know I already made that clear earlier in the thread.

Chill Killer. Best of luck to you and your endeavors. Sorry I didn't take a fine tooth comb through a thread that is mostly posts from you bragging.

I'm also not too sure why you're swaggering into the forum and posting like this. Most won't argue that platooning the right players is a great strategy. Many do it in pitching and hitting. It's nice if this works for you, really, because it doesn't affect me in any way shape or form. I hope you win every league you're in, ever ;-D
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -8)

Postby Frances The Mute » Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:40 am

joined 2005 and why I gotta repeat myself for no reason. This is a hot plan and I am happy to share it with my fav (was waaay better before they destroyed the game commentary forum by making a friggin thread for each game, sigh) baseball site and getting tons of respect and then bragging.
Frances The Mute
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby AussieDodger » Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:55 am

Frances The Mute wrote:joined 2005 and why I gotta repeat myself for no reason. This is a hot plan and I am happy to share it with my fav (was waaay better before they destroyed the game commentary forum by making a friggin thread for each game, sigh) baseball site and getting tons of respect and then bragging.

So it took you 4 years to figure out how to platoon people?

"Congratulations"

I don't want to overload you too much, but apparently there's also this thing where you pick starting pitchers up when they start against San Diego or Seattle and then drop them again. It's the new craze the cool kids are doing called "spot starting". Maybe you should study up and come and make a thread about it in 2012 or so.

:-b ;-7
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -37)

Postby Frances The Mute » Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:26 am

you saying I should use the search function for Clint Barmes/ Micheal Young Stud Split stat strategy?? Based on the responses to my post -- please don't bother your mom to read them to you -- it ain't something that's been done and people are interested to see how it works. You'l be the first guy to copy my style I bet after this combo is producing top 3 SS for the price of a 8th rounder...Save the accolades for me.
Frances The Mute
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby urbanbreez » Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:58 am

Geez fella, it was an ok idea but now you're just being inflamitory.
urbanbreez
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -14)

Postby galv » Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:59 am

you're going to waste two rosters spots to get slightly better stats than the average of the two players. will be looking forward to watching this fail.
galv
T-Ball Trainer

Postby KCollins1304 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:27 am

If you spent a top 10 round pick on Michael Young and then didn't even play him last week, you're not accomplishing much. Maybe if you play your matchups perfectly you can get production that is one or two rounds better than Young by himself, but that isn't really worth wasting 2 roster spots on one position. Platooning works best when you take 2 players from at least the 13th round or later and play them together to get 6th or 7th round production.
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -50)

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:50 am

I haven't read this entire thread, but here's what I've gathered from reading the last few pages...

You are in a weekly league, as far as setting lineups is concerned.
You are determining whether you should play Young or Barmes prior to each week, based on match up.
You think this is a hot, possibly even new strategy.

This isn't revolutionary stuff here. I presume this is a H2H League (from the sound of things, it's Points to boot), as that's where strategies like this are most useful. Carrying 2 players at a position where you don't get one of the top players at and playing match ups for whatever reason isn't earth shattering. Carlos Delgado is slated to face 6 RHP this week, he should be a great start over another mid-level 1B, if you passed on that position in the early rounds. There are instances of this at every position. Again, not record breaking strategy here. You can look at parks playing in, hell, even if a guy is playing in 5 or 6 games vs. 7. I may have missed the boat, but are you proud of the fact that you're doing this at all, or that you feel you've really pinpointed a gem with the Young/Barmes combo?

I dunno, I guess I just don't see the big deal from either side, both on the bragging of it, and those who are all huffy puffy about it. :-?
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 376)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers