Return to Baseball Leftovers

Brandon Wood

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Brandon Wood

Postby Ender » Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:05 pm

I watched some of the game today and the Angel announcers said he was shortening up with 2 strikes instead of swinging for the fences and that his approach at the plate was noticeably different than it was last year. He still isn't likely to play full time without an injury but thought it was interesting nonetheless.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: -28)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby AussieDodger » Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:04 pm

So they're going with Izturis or Aybar at SS?

Aybar is garbage and Izturis has had 45+ DL days every year for the past 4 years.

He'll be back.
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -37)

Postby Havok1517 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:08 pm

AussieDodger wrote:So they're going with Izturis or Aybar at SS?

Aybar is garbage and Izturis has had 45+ DL days every year for the past 4 years.

He'll be back.

Aybar was actually pretty productive before getting hurt last year. Wood also doesn't have the range to play MLB SS. So, its a sound decision to go with Aybar at SS. Now, going with Figgins over Wood at 3B is the actual debate and I mainly think Figgins is there to get his speed into the game. We'll see what happens.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 21)

Postby Ender » Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:12 pm

Aybar is probably the best SS they have, he is great defensively and is developing well at the plate.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby The Artful Dodger » Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:15 pm

Ender wrote:I watched some of the game today and the Angel announcers said he was shortening up with 2 strikes instead of swinging for the fences and that his approach at the plate was noticeably different than it was last year. He still isn't likely to play full time without an injury but thought it was interesting nonetheless.

Yeah, that's what Scioscia loves to see, a hitter that can shorten his swing just to make contact. That's one of, if not, the biggest reason why he's gotten results this Spring.

I'm a bit surprised to see Wood go back to AAA, but he definitely had his work cut out for him to find playing time with Izturis and Aybar being better defensive SS. I believe he'll eventually find his way up and again, it remains to be seen what kind of PT he'll get. Kendrick and Figgins for whatever reason don't manage to stay healthy and either or both out, could open the door for Wood.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 370)

Postby AussieDodger » Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:17 pm

Havok1517 wrote:
AussieDodger wrote:So they're going with Izturis or Aybar at SS?

He'll be back.

Aybar was actually pretty productive before getting hurt last year.

.314 OBP with no power isn't very helpful.
He'd have to be a wizard in the field to be worth something.
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby hybrid » Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:48 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:I'm a bit surprised to see Wood go back to AAA, but he definitely had his work cut out for him to find playing time with Izturis and Aybar being better defensive SS. I believe he'll eventually find his way up and again, it remains to be seen what kind of PT he'll get. Kendrick and Figgins for whatever reason don't manage to stay healthy and either or both out, could open the door for Wood.

Eh don't be, the Angels have really shown a lack of ability to developing their hitting prospects. Not that I think Wood is great, but the Angels once had a loaded system and really besides some pitching they don't have much to show for it. They stall their developement with veterans and just never give them the full opportunity to develope IMO.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Yoda » Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:51 pm

I would keep an eye on his K/BB while he is at AAA. It still remains to be seen whether he is getting better at the plate or not.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -153)

Postby Yanks_Baby » Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:57 pm

I never really saw Wood as so talented a hitter. I think he was one of those overhyped from the start kind of prospects. I could easily see him falling into a career .260 BA in the majors the way he K's.
Yanks_Baby
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: -78)

Postby AussieDodger » Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:06 pm

Yoda wrote:I would keep an eye on his K/BB while he is at AAA. It still remains to be seen whether he is getting better at the plate or not.

Yeah he doesn't seem to be making big strides towards bridging the gap. 46/117, 48/128, 54/149, 45/120, 45/104 in the minors.
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers