Return to Baseball Leftovers

Spring Training Tracker

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Spring Training Tracker

Postby kimchi_chigae » Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:48 am

Inukchuk wrote:
Matthias wrote:Here's a name: Joel Piniero.

Here's a number: 1.44 ERA this spring.

Here's 2 reasons: 20K's : 4 Walks this spring.

Here's a better reason: Duncan has gotten him to trust throwing a sinker.

I'm giving Piniero a month on my team to see if any of this is real or not.


Nice one. I'll have to keep an eye on him... ;-D


Pineiro had a couple of nice starts last year and I think I picked him up once or twice for a spot start. I was a big fan when he came up with the Mariners, but he has been so bad last few years that it is tough to trust him.
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 14875
Joined: 27 May 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Osaka Jail

Re: Spring Training Tracker

Postby Matthias » Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:57 am

kimchi_chigae wrote:Pineiro had a couple of nice starts last year and I think I picked him up once or twice for a spot start. I was a big fan when he came up with the Mariners, but he has been so bad last few years that it is tough to trust him.

I'm not giving him a huge leash, but I figure this is the time of the year to pick up a bunch of pitching could-be's. And the ones that show themselves as not-be's, I'll drop.

But I'm putting more emphasis on him inducing more GB's than his ERA over his innings thus far. There's at least a methodological reason why he's been doing so well so far, and may be more than simply small sample size.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager


Posts: 4860
Joined: 16 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Spring Training Tracker

Postby Inukchuk » Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:03 pm

Yeah, it's the change in pitching philosophy that intrigues me. I don't plan on picking him up, just keeping him on the ol' watch list...
Image
abrunn11... the place to go for all your sig needs...
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 4014
Joined: 24 Jan 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

Re: Spring Training Tracker

Postby Tommy John » Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:39 pm

Duncan worked wonders last year with Wellemeyer, and Wellemeyer really had no track record of success at the major league level. It is an interesting stat and situation to keep an eye on, Pineiro is still young enough and has been successful for stretches in the past.
Tommy John
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 620
Joined: 19 Jan 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Mid-Missouri

Re: Spring Training Tracker

Postby Ender » Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:30 pm

Tommy John wrote:Duncan worked wonders last year with Wellemeyer, and Wellemeyer really had no track record of success at the major league level. It is an interesting stat and situation to keep an eye on, Pineiro is still young enough and has been successful for stretches in the past.


To be fair Wellemeyer was as lucky as he was good last year. That is a 4.50 ERA skillset he displayed turned into a 3.71 ERA with a lucky BABIP and LOB%. Though even a 4.50 ERA skillset is a pretty big improvement over his past years in the majors.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
Posts: 7733
Joined: 30 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Spring Training Tracker

Postby Kraftwerk » Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:42 pm

CadensDad wrote:
JRAMI wrote:posting that giant teddy bear is a man card violation btw


Teddy Bears are NOT man card violation.


Section 5, article 4, sub secton 11

' presenting of cuddly toys including but not restricted to; Bears, Dolphins, Bunnies, Giant Pandas, sad eyed Kittens, Clay Aiken, to other male(s) shall be deemed to have contradicted the requirement of M.C.R (Man Card Retention). Distribution of cuddly toys, as referenced above, is strictly restricted to the following two categories;

a) Female family members of any age, or male family members aged 3 and under.
b) Any female, if the sole purpose of such actions is to solicit favors of a physical variety. '
Kraftwerk
College Coach
College Coach

User avatar
Cafe Writer
Posts: 264
Joined: 1 Dec 2008
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Spring Training Tracker

Postby West » Sat Apr 04, 2009 3:33 pm

Cole Hamels today vs. Rays
5IP 6ER 2HR 7K 1BB

Wonder where his velocity was at? He felt good enough to K 7 guys.
West
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1521
(Past Year: 68)
Joined: 28 Feb 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Spring Training Tracker

Postby Yoda » Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:04 pm

West wrote:Cole Hamels today vs. Rays
5IP 6ER 2HR 7K 1BB

Wonder where his velocity was at? He felt good enough to K 7 guys.


Generally elbow affects control so the 7/1 K/BB is a good sign.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 21344
Joined: 21 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 15th green...

Re: Spring Training Tracker

Postby the izzy » Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:18 pm

Kraftwerk wrote:
CadensDad wrote:
JRAMI wrote:posting that giant teddy bear is a man card violation btw


Teddy Bears are NOT man card violation.


Section 5, article 4, sub secton 11

' presenting of cuddly toys including but not restricted to; Bears, Dolphins, Bunnies, Giant Pandas, sad eyed Kittens, Clay Aiken, to other male(s) shall be deemed to have contradicted the requirement of M.C.R (Man Card Retention). Distribution of cuddly toys, as referenced above, is strictly restricted to the following two categories;

a) Female family members of any age, or male family members aged 3 and under.
b) Any female, if the sole purpose of such actions is to solicit favors of a physical variety. '


nice. I went ahead and double checked, and the above information is 100% correct.
the izzy
College Coach
College Coach


Posts: 292
Joined: 17 Mar 2009
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Spring Training Tracker

Postby San D » Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:06 pm

It's college ball and not spring training, but yesterday, Strasburg pitched 6 shutout innings. However, he ONLY struck out 6 batters. I hope his arm is OK. :-D
San D
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 1499
Joined: 29 Aug 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests