Return to General Talk

11 Most Expensive Catastrophes in History

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 11 Most Expensive Catastrophes in History

Postby AussieDodger » Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:12 pm

Big Pimpin wrote:

We're being pushed toward globalization. It will start with some North American union, but the endgame is most certainly a one-world government.

B.P this isn't wrestling from the 1970s where "The Foreigner" is the big bad guy. Embrace change. ;-D

Big Pimpin wrote: And AussieDodger, the honeymoon is over. Obama sucks. :-)

You obviously don't have year-long honeymoons like I do. ;-)
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -37)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Big Pimpin » Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:15 pm

AussieDodger wrote:
Big Pimpin wrote:

We're being pushed toward globalization. It will start with some North American union, but the endgame is most certainly a one-world government.

B.P this isn't wrestling from the 1970s where "The Foreigner" is the big bad guy. Embrace change. ;-D

Why in the hell would I ever embrace a change like that? It boggles my mind that anyone could support such a thing. %-6 X-I
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -486)

Postby StlSluggers » Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:19 pm

CadensDad wrote:# 1. 2008 Presidential Election- Barack Hussein Obama spends $800 Billion in the first two months………..

haha... didn't see that coming

may not agree, but it was a good setup. :-D
Want an easy icon?
http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=133
All you have to do is beat a few guys at picking Sunday's winners.[/url]
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -302)
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby Big Pimpin » Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:34 pm

AussieDodger wrote:

Maybe if he didn't basically just adopt policies that he railed on Bush about (like detainees... meet your new boss, same as your old boss !+) ) and pushed through a trainwreck of a trillion dollar package that his own people have said probably won't work, I'd feel better about him. %-6 Oh, and with his first two bills he already broke his promise to put every bill out there for 5 days for public comment before signing. Then he has the gall to tell America it's not their fault their in this situation, it's the banks' fault. Rrriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight. And all his bi-partisan rhetoric puts me way over the top. It's all just a joke. He's a joke. %-6 :-{

I'd like to just buy an island in the Caribbean and check out. B-)
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby AussieDodger » Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:39 pm

Big Pimpin wrote:
AussieDodger wrote:

Maybe if he didn't basically just adopt policies that he railed on Bush about (like detainees... meet your new boss, same as your old boss !+) ) and pushed through a trainwreck of a trillion dollar package that his own people have said probably won't work, I'd feel better about him. %-6 Oh, and with his first two bills he already broke his promise to put every bill out there for 5 days for public comment before signing. Then he has the gall to tell America it's not their fault their in this situation, it's the banks' fault. Rrriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight. And all his bi-partisan rhetoric puts me way over the top. It's all just a joke. He's a joke. %-6 :-{

I'd like to just buy an island in the Caribbean and check out. B-)

If you don't like it that much, why don't you make the move? Find somewhere that's good and just do it.
It's nice down here (I've probably already told you that) :-D .
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -37)

Postby Matthias » Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:40 pm

Big Pimpin wrote:
AussieDodger wrote:

Maybe if he didn't basically just adopt policies that he railed on Bush about (detainees)

Git-Mo is going to be closed; that's a completely different policy.
Big Pimpin wrote:and pushed through a trainwreck of a trillion dollar package that his own people have said probably won't work

Unfortunately, the mess that Bush created is a larger crater than a trillion dollars can fill. However, it is the plan which can get approved and it's better than trying nothing.... or do you think sitting on our hands is a better alternative?
Big Pimpin wrote:Then he has the gall to tell America it's not their fault their in this situation, it's the banks' fault. Rrriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

The current economic recession has much more to do with the banking industry and the non-regulation of it the last 8 years than anything related to consumer spending or consumer debt. Making a joke out of that only means that you're the punchline.
Big Pimpin wrote:And all his bi-partisan rhetoric puts me way over the top. It's all just a joke. He's a joke. %-6

Ironically, he's the one who is President of the United States and you're not.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -34)

Postby Big Pimpin » Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:52 pm

Matthias wrote:
Big Pimpin wrote:Maybe if he didn't basically just adopt policies that he railed on Bush about (detainees)

Git-Mo is going to be closed; that's a completely different policy.

I'm specifically referring to the policy that allows the federal government to declare someone an enemy combatant and hold them essentially forever. No charges. No trial. Just, “Trust us, these people are guilty.”

Matthias wrote:
Big Pimpin wrote:and pushed through a trainwreck of a trillion dollar package that his own people have said probably won't work

Unfortunately, the mess that Bush created is a larger crater than a trillion dollars can fill. However, it is the plan which can get approved and it's better than trying nothing.... or do you think sitting on our hands is a better alternative?

I absolutely think sitting on our hands is a better alternative. Let the people that made their bed lie in it. ;-D

Matthias wrote:
Big Pimpin wrote:Then he has the gall to tell America it's not their fault their in this situation, it's the banks' fault. Rrriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

The current economic recession has much more to do with the banking industry and the non-regulation of it the last 8 years than anything related to consumer spending or consumer debt. Making a joke out of that only means that you're the punchline.

There's a lot of blame to go around and banks deserve plenty of it, but pretending that the people don't have any responsibility in any of this is a joke. Consider the new $75B foreclosure plan. Why are these people getting foreclosed on? It couldn't be because they signed on the dotted line for a house they couldn't afford, could it? It's all about keeping up with Joneses, and now these people aren't going to be punished for their own idiocy. I think it's quite sad, really.

Matthias wrote:
Big Pimpin wrote:And all his bi-partisan rhetoric puts me way over the top. It's all just a joke. He's a joke. %-6

Ironically, he's the one who is President of the United States and you're not.

Based on that I'd say that makes our country a joke, too, but that's just me. ;-)
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby StlSluggers » Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:06 pm

Big Pimpin wrote:I absolutely think sitting on our hands is a better alternative. Let the people that made their bed lie in it. ;-D

It's looking like that attitude is why things are as bad as they are.

Watch this, paying special attention to what happened after they let Lehman fail.

Normally, I'd agree with you, BP. But these are extraordinary times. Regardless of who's to blame - Congress, for pushing subprime loan purchasing up the chain; the Administration for not properly regulating those transactions; or Business, for not keeping their head out of their ass - this situation is unlike anything in the history of this country.
Want an easy icon?
http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=133
All you have to do is beat a few guys at picking Sunday's winners.[/url]
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -302)
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby Metroid » Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:09 pm

Big Pimpin wrote:There's a lot of blame to go around and banks deserve plenty of it, but pretending that the people don't have any responsibility in any of this is a joke. Consider the new $75B foreclosure plan. Why are these people getting foreclosed on? It couldn't be because they signed on the dotted line for a house they couldn't afford, could it? It's all about keeping up with Joneses, and now these people aren't going to be punished for their own idiocy. I think it's quite sad, really.

First of all not all these foreclosures are due to people buying above their means, a lot are but not all. And second the banks should have been more careful about how much they loaned people. While it was irresponsible for borrowers to bite off more than they can chew it was much more irresponsible for the lenders to allow it to happen. You're right though nobody is blameless in this.
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFootball Mod
(Past Year: -24)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Matthias » Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:22 pm

Metroid wrote:
Big Pimpin wrote:There's a lot of blame to go around and banks deserve plenty of it, but pretending that the people don't have any responsibility in any of this is a joke. Consider the new $75B foreclosure plan. Why are these people getting foreclosed on? It couldn't be because they signed on the dotted line for a house they couldn't afford, could it? It's all about keeping up with Joneses, and now these people aren't going to be punished for their own idiocy. I think it's quite sad, really.

First of all not all these foreclosures are due to people buying above their means, a lot are but not all. And second the banks should have been more careful about how much they loaned people. While it was irresponsible for borrowers to bite off more than they can chew it was much more irresponsible for the lenders to allow it to happen. You're right though nobody is blameless in this.

Well, and if you get down to brass tacks, if all that happened was that US home prices declined, you really wouldn't have that big of a problem. People would have problems selling their home if they wanted to move or getting a new loan if they wanted to cash out (now non-existent) equity in their house, but it wouldn't send the Dow to its lowest level in 8 years. What did that was that Wall Street diced up the mortgages into investment vehicles and then a number of institutions, such as AIG, bet the house heavy that mortgages were, "safe as houses". When the housing market fell, the Las Vegas of CDOs collapsed and that's what dragged everything down with it.

In short, it's like leaving an inch of gasoline on the floor of your house and then blaming someone for burning down your house after they knocked over a candle. Did it cause it? Sure, in an ultimate sense. Did it have to cause it? No, not at all, not one bit.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -34)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk