Return to Baseball Leftovers

Reyes could bat 2nd/3rd

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Reyes could bat 2nd/3rd

Postby CadensDad » Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:00 pm

Castillo needs to be the bat boy, thats as close to a bat he needs to be
“Never argue with a idiot, because first they will bring you down to their level. Then beat you with experience.”
CadensDad
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 5977
Joined: 25 Feb 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Reyes could bat 3rd

Postby RAmst23 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:38 pm

Do you think it drops him out of the 1st round if he goes from lead-off to 2nd? All this would do is cut into SBs, but I wouldn't think it'd be a huge cut to his value..
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1986
Joined: 6 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Sitting on the steps of Busch Stadium

Re: Reyes could bat 2nd/3rd

Postby pokerplaya » Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:17 pm

garf112 wrote:this isn't going to happen.

just jerry manuel thinking out loud. he'll come to his senses.


Agreed. It is in Jerry's nature to stir the pot for no reason whatsoever. :-b
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 12816
(Past Year: 7)
Joined: 18 May 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Reyes could bat 2nd/3rd

Postby AussieDodger » Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:15 pm

Where's that hysterical Manny to Mets guy when you need him?

I'm sure the Mets NEVER bat Castillo 2nd on his XBox. ;-7
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
Posts: 11383
(Past Year: 45)
Joined: 22 Jan 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: What do you mean, Flash Gordon approaching?

Re: Reyes could bat 3rd

Postby duckbillgates » Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:10 pm

RAmst23 wrote:Do you think it drops him out of the 1st round if he goes from lead-off to 2nd? All this would do is cut into SBs, but I wouldn't think it'd be a huge cut to his value..


Reyes isn't one-dimensional, but cutting into his SBs is a huge cut to his value.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others."
— Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
duckbillgates
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1216
Joined: 1 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: under a dead Ohio sky

Re: Reyes could bat 2nd/3rd

Postby byfrcp » Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:43 am

You guys are being pretty harsh on Castillo.

They had nearly identical OBP and Reyes scored a run ever 6.7 PA while Castillo scored every 7.5 PA.

IMO Castillo is a prototypical 2nd hitter, like Polanco.
byfrcp
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 2204
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 19 Jun 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Massachusetts

Re: Reyes could bat 2nd/3rd

Postby kab21 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:44 pm

While I certainly wouldn't move Castillo into the leadoff spot since that results in 15-20 fewer PA's (for a season) for each player that is moved down in the lineup, everyone seems to be overreacting to how big of a drop Reyes SB numbers would take in the #2 or #3 spot. Carl Crawford hasn't had problems stealing in the #2 or #3 spot (among others). I could go into a long rambling post, but I wouldn't be terribly concerned about a drop in SB numbers.
My website - The World Is Not That Big
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
Posts: 5398
(Past Year: 134)
Joined: 24 Nov 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Reyes could bat 2nd/3rd

Postby pokerplaya » Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:50 pm

kab21 wrote:While I certainly wouldn't move Castillo into the leadoff spot since that results in 15-20 fewer PA's (for a season) for each player that is moved down in the lineup, everyone seems to be overreacting to how big of a drop Reyes SB numbers would take in the #2 or #3 spot. Carl Crawford hasn't had problems stealing in the #2 or #3 spot (among others). I could go into a long rambling post, but I wouldn't be terribly concerned about a drop in SB numbers.


His SB numbers dropped from 07 - 08 and he was always batting lead off. I don't think it is unreasonable for him to reach 50 SB's in the 2nd or 3rd spot, but if he is moved out of the lead off spot he will never even come close to 80 bags again.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 12816
(Past Year: 7)
Joined: 18 May 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Reyes could bat 2nd/3rd

Postby kab21 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:01 pm

pokerplaya wrote:
kab21 wrote:While I certainly wouldn't move Castillo into the leadoff spot since that results in 15-20 fewer PA's (for a season) for each player that is moved down in the lineup, everyone seems to be overreacting to how big of a drop Reyes SB numbers would take in the #2 or #3 spot. Carl Crawford hasn't had problems stealing in the #2 or #3 spot (among others). I could go into a long rambling post, but I wouldn't be terribly concerned about a drop in SB numbers.


His SB numbers dropped from 07 - 08 and he was always batting lead off. I don't think it is unreasonable for him to reach 50 SB's in the 2nd or 3rd spot, but if he is moved out of the lead off spot he will never even come close to 80 bags again.


Reyes did have a tender hamstring in '08 (maybe May). Most projections don't have Reyes getting 80 SB's (more like 60) in the leadoff spot, but why are his numbers going to go down significantly in the #2 or #3 spot? Is it simply because guys with Reyes skillset have usually only been leadoff hitters. Of course Juan Pierre who doesn't have the OBP that Reyes does got 64 SB's mostly out of the 2 spot in '07. Crawford steals lots of bases in the #2 and #3 spot.
My website - The World Is Not That Big
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
Posts: 5398
(Past Year: 134)
Joined: 24 Nov 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Reyes could bat 2nd/3rd

Postby duckbillgates » Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:53 pm

kab21 wrote:
pokerplaya wrote:
kab21 wrote:While I certainly wouldn't move Castillo into the leadoff spot since that results in 15-20 fewer PA's (for a season) for each player that is moved down in the lineup, everyone seems to be overreacting to how big of a drop Reyes SB numbers would take in the #2 or #3 spot. Carl Crawford hasn't had problems stealing in the #2 or #3 spot (among others). I could go into a long rambling post, but I wouldn't be terribly concerned about a drop in SB numbers.


His SB numbers dropped from 07 - 08 and he was always batting lead off. I don't think it is unreasonable for him to reach 50 SB's in the 2nd or 3rd spot, but if he is moved out of the lead off spot he will never even come close to 80 bags again.


Reyes did have a tender hamstring in '08 (maybe May). Most projections don't have Reyes getting 80 SB's (more like 60) in the leadoff spot, but why are his numbers going to go down significantly in the #2 or #3 spot? Is it simply because guys with Reyes skillset have usually only been leadoff hitters. Of course Juan Pierre who doesn't have the OBP that Reyes does got 64 SB's mostly out of the 2 spot in '07. Crawford steals lots of bases in the #2 and #3 spot.


It's because managers tend to not send runners with their cleanup hitter at bat and two outs. The situation of a leadoff hitter always sets up more SB opportunities.

Using Crawford as an example, he has stolen fewer bases from the No. 2 slot, and even fewer from the No. 3.

If your drafting a guy for steals, you don't want him batting third, even if it means a bump in RBI.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others."
— Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
duckbillgates
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1216
Joined: 1 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: under a dead Ohio sky

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests