Return to Baseball Leftovers

Yahoo Keeper Leagues

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Yahoo Keeper Leagues

Postby bigken117 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:12 am

BeanTown wrote:Please excuse my ignorance on this but should we be expecting further changes to the "draft client"? Is this related to just online drafts? I have my league set up for offline drafts and the draft selection page looks the same as previous years. Thanks.



Wow that avatar gives me de ja vu X-I
http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/E/Jacoby-Ellsbury.shtml
http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=24
http://twitter.com/#!/baseballcafe
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Fantasy-Baseball-Cafe/117034715055181?sk=wall
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 11790
(Past Year: -1076)
Joined: 15 Feb 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: posed in an awkward stance

Re: Yahoo Keeper Leagues

Postby chadlincoln » Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:33 am

Under commish tools, I see "Keeper Costs - Manage keeper player's cost details to be displayed throughout the game. Requires that keeper players were set prior to your draft." Does that mean we can assign a cost/salary to a player and enforce a salary cap?
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Posts: 10960
(Past Year: -23)
Joined: 20 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Bleachers at Wrigley Field

Re: Yahoo Keeper Leagues

Postby BeanTown » Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:16 am

bigken117 wrote:
Wow that avatar gives me de ja vu X-I



I knew that pic looked familiar. I've been suffering through a bad case of avatar changeitis. I hate using recycled avs from other users, especially those approaching 10,000 posts so it might be back to the drawing board. I have one at home that you may get a kick out of. I'll give that one a whirl tonight.
BeanTown
College Coach
College Coach

User avatar

Posts: 190
(Past Year: 2)
Joined: 25 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Winning!

Re: Yahoo Keeper Leagues

Postby Fantasy Sports Genie » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:23 am

chadlincoln wrote:Under commish tools, I see "Keeper Costs - Manage keeper player's cost details to be displayed throughout the game. Requires that keeper players were set prior to your draft." Does that mean we can assign a cost/salary to a player and enforce a salary cap?

Ah yes. I couldn't talk about this before release, but I can now. In addition to the keeper functionality that I described before and that previously existed, there is now some additional keeper functionality added for baseball. The commish can assign costs to keeper players. If he does so, those costs are exposed throughout the game. Hovering over the little K icon should show you a player's cost, and various pages will include player cost when showing players. The various pages in the trade flow, for example. You can also assign a default player cost for players who were not keepers. Which isn't so useful in the context of the K icon (since they don't have one), but should be shown in the trade flow and other pages where it might be handy.

At this time we do not enforce anything related to those costs. We might do so in the future, but
a) there is never enough time, so we bite off pieces as we can
b) keepers are a tricky business. Every keeper league seems to want to do things their own way, so we're focusing on adding "building blocks" that will be useful for most keeper leagues regardless of what rules they use. With those in place we may be able to build higher-level tools/functionality that suit particular keeper formats as time passes.

Hope this helps. Thanks for noticing...
Fantasy Sports Genie
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1380
(Past Year: 22)
Joined: 1 Feb 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Yahoo Keeper Leagues

Postby chadlincoln » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:33 am

Fantasy Sports Genie wrote:
chadlincoln wrote:Under commish tools, I see "Keeper Costs - Manage keeper player's cost details to be displayed throughout the game. Requires that keeper players were set prior to your draft." Does that mean we can assign a cost/salary to a player and enforce a salary cap?

Ah yes. I couldn't talk about this before release, but I can now. In addition to the keeper functionality that I described before and that previously existed, there is now some additional keeper functionality added for baseball. The commish can assign costs to keeper players. If he does so, those costs are exposed throughout the game. Hovering over the little K icon should show you a player's cost, and various pages will include player cost when showing players. The various pages in the trade flow, for example. You can also assign a default player cost for players who were not keepers. Which isn't so useful in the context of the K icon (since they don't have one), but should be shown in the trade flow and other pages where it might be handy.

At this time we do not enforce anything related to those costs. We might do so in the future, but
a) there is never enough time, so we bite off pieces as we can
b) keepers are a tricky business. Every keeper league seems to want to do things their own way, so we're focusing on adding "building blocks" that will be useful for most keeper leagues regardless of what rules they use. With those in place we may be able to build higher-level tools/functionality that suit particular keeper formats as time passes.

Hope this helps. Thanks for noticing...

That is awesome. Our league will probably just use the 'honor system' to make sure they don't go over the cap until you can enforce it, but that is a huge step in the right direction. Thanks a ton.
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Posts: 10960
(Past Year: -23)
Joined: 20 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Bleachers at Wrigley Field

Re: Yahoo Keeper Leagues

Postby barrylevine23 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:23 pm

bigken117 wrote:
BeanTown wrote:Please excuse my ignorance on this but should we be expecting further changes to the "draft client"? Is this related to just online drafts? I have my league set up for offline drafts and the draft selection page looks the same as previous years. Thanks.


I am really curious about the draft app. Looking forward to going into the draft app prior to the actual online draft...
barrylevine23
Little League Legend
Little League Legend


Posts: 18
Joined: 26 Dec 2008
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Yahoo Keeper Leagues

Postby pezzer44 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:39 pm

Fantasy Sports Genie wrote:
chadlincoln wrote:Under commish tools, I see "Keeper Costs - Manage keeper player's cost details to be displayed throughout the game. Requires that keeper players were set prior to your draft." Does that mean we can assign a cost/salary to a player and enforce a salary cap?

Ah yes. I couldn't talk about this before release, but I can now. In addition to the keeper functionality that I described before and that previously existed, there is now some additional keeper functionality added for baseball. The commish can assign costs to keeper players. If he does so, those costs are exposed throughout the game. Hovering over the little K icon should show you a player's cost, and various pages will include player cost when showing players. The various pages in the trade flow, for example. You can also assign a default player cost for players who were not keepers. Which isn't so useful in the context of the K icon (since they don't have one), but should be shown in the trade flow and other pages where it might be handy.

At this time we do not enforce anything related to those costs. We might do so in the future, but
a) there is never enough time, so we bite off pieces as we can
b) keepers are a tricky business. Every keeper league seems to want to do things their own way, so we're focusing on adding "building blocks" that will be useful for most keeper leagues regardless of what rules they use. With those in place we may be able to build higher-level tools/functionality that suit particular keeper formats as time passes.

Hope this helps. Thanks for noticing...


I was wondering if there's a way to conduct an offline auction draft and store the player values in Yahoo.

Would it work to set up an online draft and then load in the results from the offline draft as if all players were keepers?
pezzer44
T-Ball Trainer


Posts: 1
Joined: 11 Feb 2009
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Yahoo Keeper Leagues

Postby converge241 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:46 pm

Looks great when I fooled around with it this morning. Might move my ESPN draft keep 5 league over back to yahoo depending on how the league feels. We changed when we became keeper.
"I'm the man with the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than F***. So that's why I'm better than anyone in the world." - Kenny Powers
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 3187
(Past Year: 39)
Joined: 19 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Massachusetts

Re: Yahoo Keeper Leagues

Postby RowdyRed » Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:48 pm

Hey Genie....

How come fantasy football isn't open yet? What's you guys problem over at Yahoo? I mean, even I could have fantasy football open by now!

Just kidding. Glad to see it up and running. Glad to have some keeper functionality. Need to get everyone in my league signed up so I can arrange the draft and see how it all works out with the keepers installed...
RowdyRed
Major League Manager
Major League Manager


Posts: 1743
Joined: 21 Feb 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Yahoo Keeper Leagues

Postby Guttenburg » Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:15 pm

so, excuse my ignorance here..but how exactly do i set one of these up? like, do i need to do anything different? i'm racking my brain here. please..anybody. :-[
Guttenburg
College Coach
College Coach

User avatar

Posts: 317
(Past Year: -1)
Joined: 19 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 22 guests

cron