Return to Baseball Leftovers

Affeldt or Brian Anderson

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Affeldt or Brian Anderson

Postby 86mets 4 ever » Sun Mar 07, 2004 7:37 pm

Who will be better this year in a 5X5 roto 10 team league?
86mets 4 ever

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby eli81k » Sun Mar 07, 2004 7:39 pm

Affeldt. He is by far the better pitcher. He even comes with his own contingency plan. If his blisters act up again and he can't pitch as a starter, he'll be the first person to take over closer duities for MacDougal if MacDougal struggles like he did in the second half of last season.
eli81k
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -3)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby LBJackal » Sun Mar 07, 2004 7:48 pm

Affeldt, no question. We've all seen what Brian Anderson can do, and it doesn't impress me in the slightest. Affeldt has a very high ceiling, and if he avoids blisters this season he could be huge and will probably get twice as many K's as Anderson with a better ERA/WHIP as well. Anderson has had a very long, very bad career. Take the guy who at least has potential to be good.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -178)

Postby ondeckb » Sun Mar 07, 2004 8:02 pm

Definately Affeldt...this is going to be a very nice year ......
"Ninety feet between bases is the closest man has ever come to perfection"
ondeckb
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -10)

Postby prodpaul » Mon Mar 08, 2004 9:35 am

LBJackal wrote:Affeldt, no question. We've all seen what Brian Anderson can do, and it doesn't impress me in the slightest. Affeldt has a very high ceiling, and if he avoids blisters this season he could be huge and will probably get twice as many K's as Anderson with a better ERA/WHIP as well. Anderson has had a very long, very bad career. Take the guy who at least has potential to be good.

Good point. Plus Affeldt will be the number 3 or 4 starter so he shouldn't have to face a lot of no 1's and 2's.
Tetelestai
prodpaul
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterSweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: -178)

Postby Casimir » Mon Mar 08, 2004 10:21 am

prodpaul wrote:
LBJackal wrote:Affeldt, no question. We've all seen what Brian Anderson can do, and it doesn't impress me in the slightest. Affeldt has a very high ceiling, and if he avoids blisters this season he could be huge and will probably get twice as many K's as Anderson with a better ERA/WHIP as well. Anderson has had a very long, very bad career. Take the guy who at least has potential to be good.

Good point. Plus Affeldt will be the number 3 or 4 starter so he shouldn't have to face a lot of no 1's and 2's.

While I like Affeldt as a sleeper this season, I do want to question the theory that #1s pitch against #1s on a regular basis, and #2s vs #2s, etc. I question this simply because there are a few factors that can work against this happening:

--The timing of differing team schedules (a team that's played 78 games against a team that's played 75)
--Injuries (pitchers missing starts, or just being moved back or bumped up to accomodate slight injuries)
--Each team's philosophy on how to use its rotation (4 man, 5 man, when does a 4 man get changed to a 5 man, vice versa)

While I wouldn't doubt that the matchups can occur frequently at the begining of the season and in the postseason, I just think that the likelyhood of a #3 facing off against other #s moreso than #1s, #2s, #4s, and #5s is smaller than many people think. I wonder if anyone's done a study to prove this one way or another?
Addicted to the Cafe on 01/04/04.
Casimir
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -6)
Location: On my way to the World Series victory parade for the Tigers.

Return to Baseball Leftovers