Return to Cold Stove League

General Commentary 2013

Moderator: smoovethug

Re: General Commentary 2009

Postby fezzik » Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:12 am

GiantsFan14 wrote:i have only two points to make, if someone disagrees please explain why and how you would do it differently.

1. We already decided pre-draft that we would incorporate a minors system starting with the 2010 season.
2. Since we are not having a minors draft this year, managers should be able to draft whoever they want in the majors draft.

it is silly to me that a player should be deemed undraftable going into a season. every player should be eligible to be drafted on to a team in some way, either minors or majors. since there is no minors i don't see how you can prevent someone from adding a player who they deem the most valuable option to their team.

thoughts?

I agree with number 1, although if we unanimously decided that having a minor league draft was the best way to mitigate the situation then I would be for it.

As far as number 2 goes, if the other player pool is used you wouldn't be able to add them...and I think that would be a good thing (I also thought that was the pool we were using :-b ). You clearly feel otherwise. I feel that way because NOT being able to add them is what yahoo's policy has been in years past. Fantasy Sports Genie mentioned in a thread that this year the intent was to have two separate databases...one restricted to MLB players and one including MLB players plus all minor league players. Since there were some logistical problems getting a database with all of the minor leaguers, they decided to just add some of the marquis prospects in the other database. Having access to all the minor leaguers on your MLB roster seems like a bad idea to me...it would devalue our minor league draft IMO. Just because we aren't having a minor league draft this year doesn't mean we should be able to draft minor leaguers IMO.

I've only played yahoo in recent years, so perhaps my line of thinking is antiquated. I'm basing my desires off what I'm familiar with. I will enjoy kicking all your butts regardless of how we handle this situation. :-b
Last edited by fezzik on Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
fezzik
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: -3)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby fezzik » Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:20 am

I forgot the "how I would do it differently" part:

I would use the more restrictive database, allowing for inclusion of MLB veterans who have yet to sign but who will clearly have a team (Manny, Hudson, etc.). Since we are having our draft relatively early in relation to the actual MLB season, the only thing I don't really like about the situation is that ideally we should be able to draft anyone who is going to make the starting day roster...but at this point we don't know which prospects are going to make said rosters.
fezzik
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby fezzik » Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:24 am

By the way I actually have my eye on a couple guys this round, so try not to draft them...thanks. ;-D
fezzik
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby GiantsFan14 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:27 am

i've played pretty much only on cbs the last couple of years and they have all minor leaguers available in the draft/free agent pool at all times which i feel is vastly superior to the stupid way yahoo deals with prospects. that's probably where my feelings come in. i just feel that if there is no minor league draft, that i shouldn't be inhibited in any way the players i want to have on my team. players like wieters and price are basically being treated as 12th-13th round major leaguers in most normal drafts and making them undraftable in any way just seems really lame to me.
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -57)

Postby bobbing_headz » Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:55 am

I posted this in the poll thread but I'll post it again here. Right now it looks like people want a minor league system simply because Yahoo's player's database sucks. IMO, that is not a reason to incorporate a minors system. All players should be eligible to be drafted. After the draft any non-drafted rookies and minor guys should then be eligible to be drafted in the minor draft. First of it, if we are making the draft non-restrictive (which it should be) then having another minor league draft running at the same time would almost be cheating. Second, the point of a minor league system should be to allow owner's to claim the rights to players who are clearly not major league material yet and are not roster worthy (thus adding another strategic dimension to the league). It should certainly not be a system put in place simply because Yahoo is bad at dealing with the player database. There are likely better alternatives that would deal with this in-season rather than now.
bobbing_headz
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby RedBullVodka » Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:40 am

Bloody hell! I go to bed (in UK, remember!), and eight hours later all hell has broken loose! :-b

I agree with bobbing_headz and Giantsfan on this. I don't believe that any player should be excluded from the current MLB draft, particularly guys like Wieters and Price who will be drafted in virtually every draft this season. If I want to take a guy like this and risk him sitting on my bench all season while he remain in the minors that should be my choice. I don't believe just because I've had a top pick I should be precluded from having a shot at them.

But I also think that any guy drafted in this way should NOT be eligible to then be put in your farm system. That should stop excessive picking of MiLB players at the back end of the draft, and players having the advantage of being able to pick up a top prospect in the draft and then relegate to the farm, and pick up someone from waivers to fill the hole on the roster.

I'm fine with having a MiLB draft after this draft finishes, or in 2010.

I'm not completely clear on if we have a farm system, do we keep the rights from those players year on year until they are called up by the MLB team (at which point Rocket's claim system kicks in), but these players are not part of our 10 keepers? Or do we only have rights to these players for one year? If it is the former, which I assume it is, does that mean in 2-3 years time we potentially have more than 5 players on our MiLB roster, if they haven't already been called up? Not a problem, just don't quite understand the complexities.
2009 H2HWS Champion
RedBullVodka
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 5)

Postby WickedSmaat » Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:58 am

Alright, GiantsFan, I agree with pretty much everything you're saying and if we decided no farm, then no farm until next year and I'm on the side that says we can draft a guy like Wieters if one so chooses. Now, this is the one thing I disagree with, and hear me out.

GiantsFan14 wrote:we decided before the draft that we aren't having a minors draft until next year, so i think thats what we should stay with. therefore i think wieters and other minors leaguers should be able to be draft this year and then the rule can kick in next year where minors eligible players go in the minors draft.

Say a guy like Matt LaPorta or Lars Anderson gets called up in September this year and they only hit in 120 at-bats but they show enough to have strong consideration of making the team next year and I want spend one of my keepers on them instead of Delgado. Why should I be forced to put LaPorta/Anderson back into the MiLB pool just because they're under the limit when I definitely love their upside and think they can make an impact in 2010?

My thoughts are this, you can't keep anyone that doesn't have any MLB experience, so that means almost all 2009 draftees and a lot of top prospects, BUT you can draft any player that isn't kept and is under the 130/50 requirements. So in essence it's just setting guidelines to what you said, which was too cut and dry and restrictive. I think if someone wants to take a chance at keeping a prospect, they can.
WickedSmaat
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Graphics ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -108)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby fezzik » Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:57 pm

Snakes Gould wrote:lets just keep it straight with the unrestricted database and you can keep whoever you want, and then we fix all these problems by having a minor league draft next season. voila!

I don't care any more... :-b

But Price played last year and would be included in the more restrictive database...at least that's my understanding.
fezzik
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby GiantsFan14 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:22 pm

seriously can we just start the draft back up. this is just stupid and ruining the fun.
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -57)

PreviousNext

Return to Cold Stove League