Return to Baseball Leftovers

Best players added to Yahoo! this year

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Best players added to Yahoo! this year

Postby Montana168 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:03 pm

havok you missed wade davis...and the fact they took out rasmus lol.
Montana168
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby SignGuy » Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:37 pm

Is McCutchen in the pool?
SignGuy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -3)

Postby Yoda » Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:38 pm

Neftali Feliz
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -153)

Postby Montana168 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:00 pm

both mccutchen and feliz are not in the player pool. the only top prospects in the pool are the ones havok mentioned plus wade davis and thats it.
Montana168
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -1)

Postby bigken117 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:06 pm

MotorCityKitties wrote:Did you guys notice that there's a feature in the commish section where you can choose to make players available only after they have appeared in an MLB game. This should solve a lot of the issues that people like Snakes have with too many prospects being in the system.

EDIT: actually it says "New Players" I'm not sure if this would apply to the "new" players that are already in when the game opened or just to new players that are added in-season.

I tried it in my league and Wieters is not on the available player list anymore...

Good one Yahoo ;-D
http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/E/Jacoby-Ellsbury.shtml
http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=24
http://twitter.com/#!/baseballcafe
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Fantasy-Baseball-Cafe/117034715055181?sk=wall
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -1076)

Postby Niffoc4 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:16 pm

Matt LaPorta's in the database that I'm looking at.
Niffoc4
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 7)

Postby Fantasy Sports Genie » Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:29 pm

This actually seems like a more relevant place to chat about what we've done with our player pool this year. Let me try to clear that up, since it is a topic a lot of people ask about.

We would have liked to have all minor league players available, at least optionally in the game, but clearly that did not happen. The timing and logistics just didn't work out. It is still on "the list", and is something we'd like to do in some future year, but as always no promises. So that is what we didn't do. We're bummed as well, but it just didn't work out, so let me tell you what we *did* do.

There are typically two camps complaining about our player pool:
Camp 1: we are too slow to add prospects to the player pool
Camp 2: we are too quick to add prospects to the player pool

And in general, there is a concern that we are inconsistent. So this year, 3 changes were made.

1) In the past, as part of our business flow, no player could enter our game until they were "approved" on our end. Normally we approved everyone we could think of anyway, so that if they ever became an active player they'd pop right into the game, but periodically someone would sneak up on us, and we could inadvertently introduce delay before those players entered the game until we noticed they had "snuck past the goalie" and we approved them. In trying to address the concerns of camp 1, we concluded that the business logic to approve players was outdated; it was related to boring, unpleasant business details that no longer apply. Consequently, we removed this step from the player flow. If we are ever told that a player is on an active MLB roster, he's now approved automatically. That removes one cause for delay when an active player was slow to enter the game.

2) Another source of delay surfaced last year. We can call this "The Cueto Effect", and it primarily impacted rookies. When we're told a player is active, and we want to put him into the game, he has to have one or more positions. We have a lot of logic and work that goes into trying to empirically tell what positions he plays/has played/qualifies at, and those are the only positions he'd get upon entry into the game. This broke down with brand new rookies/prospects; we could study all the major league data in the world, and not get any hint what position they played. What our game would do in this case is wait until they actually played a game, and then assign them whichever position they played first. This could be particularly painful for pitchers who might be called up days in advance of actually pitching. While we liked the fact that this caused all positions to be determined objectively, we decided it was doing more harm than good. Consequently, if we now get told a player has reached an active roster, and we can't tell from data what position he plays, we trust the position supplied by our provider. This is subjective data, and I suppose they could eventually make an unusual choice for a player, but we concluded that the benefits outweighed the risks.

Combining 1 and 2, we now feel that if we're ever told a player has reached a major league roster (we get this information nightly), they should be added to the game (and in most leagues that means the waiver wire) that same night.

3) Now to help the people in camp 2. One tool at our disposal to combat the concerns of camp 1 has always been that we could "force" a guy into the game even if he wasn't on a major league roster. When we did so, that usually made the camp 1 people happy and drove the camp 2 people bonkers. Because of this dilemma, we usually were pretty conservative about who we'd force into the game, and only did so if there was a fair amount of demand for those players. To help the leagues that are members of camp 2, we added the new league setting that someone observed earlier in this thread. If you like, you can think of it as the "Snakes Gould" setting ;-) It allows a league to choose: do you want to see players as soon as we decide they are interesting (in particular, when we force them into the game early), or do you want strict consistency, only seeing players that we're informed are on a major league roster? A league that chooses the latter may see fewer players, but the players they see will follow a very strict, predictable set of rules. Note that of course a forced player becomes "unforced" if he lands on a major league roster, and once a player is unforced he stays that way; we don't then remove him from the player pool of a league that has chosen the strict setting. Make sense? To give some perspective on this, the following players are currently forced into the player pool:

Shawn Estes (LAD - SP)
Manny Ramírez (LAD - OF)
Bobby Abreu (NYY - OF)
Orlando Cabrera (CWS - SS)
Ben Sheets (Mil - SP)
Adam Dunn (Ari - 1B,OF)
Orlando Hudson (Ari - 2B)
Matt Wieters (Bal - C)
Matt LaPorta (Cle - 1B,OF)

So you get the idea. It might seem weird to have a league where you can't draft Manny, but if you want consistency, he isn't on a roster, and thus isn't in the game. If we get into the business of, "Well, yeah, but he'll be on a roster. Probably.", then the consistency people are asking for goes out the window.

Given that fixes 1 and 2 address the concerns of camp 1, and fix 3 allows camp 2 to be shielded from the inconsistency that they don't like, we feel like we have a little more freedom to force players early if they might be interesting. In the past we had to be wary of this so as not to disrupt camp 2, but now camp 2 won't see such players if they've chosen not to. This doesn't mean we can just add anyone we want; there is still some measure of coordination with our data provider that must happen. But take Colby Rasmus as an example (for all the people who are going crazy before we've even publicly linked to the game heh). It is very likely that in the next week or so there will be another batch of forced players added to the game; we're currently coordinating with our provider to make sure that happens smoothly. You all know by now I try not to promise anything here, but I think it is safe to say that Rasmus is an obvious candidate to get forced sometime sooner rather than later.

I tend to type a lot. Hopefully that made sense, and hopefully it helps make the game better for both camps.
Fantasy Sports Genie
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 22)

Postby higherpie » Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:43 pm

Fantasy Sports Genie wrote:This actually seems like a more relevant place to chat about what we've done with our player pool this year. Let me try to clear that up, since it is a topic a lot of people ask about...............

That all makes a lot of sense, Genie. Thanks a bunch.
higherpie
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 1)

Postby Havok1517 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:55 pm

Spring Training should answer a lot of questions regarding player additions.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 21)

Postby Niffoc4 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:06 am

Havok1517 wrote:Spring Training should answer a lot of questions regarding player additions.
Yeah my original intent, and I guess another way of putting it is this:
How would you rank those who have not been added, and are they better than the (non-Wieters) players newly available? The main newly added guy that I'm thinking of is LaPorta.
How does he compare to top prospects who have not been added (such as Andrus)?

As always... thank you to the Fantasy Genie as well, for informing us as much as he can.
Niffoc4
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 7)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers