Return to Cafe Hall of Fame

2009 Median Draft Position (MDP) Report (Updated 4/1/09)

Re: 2009 Median Draft Position (MDP) Report (Updated 3/20/09)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:37 pm

rookies and cream wrote:
The Artful Dodger wrote:I'd take the best available at the ends, but it all depends on what I could build my team with, keeping in mind position scarcity and all that good stuff. If I were at the ends in a 12-teamer, I could see myself with Fielder plus either Kinsler or Beltran.

Interesting to see a bit of a spike upwards for Rollins, but more so Sabathia. I was drafting in a 14-teamer today and had seen CC go just about in the top half of Round 2. %-6

Fielder at 12 or 13? Seems a bit early...

Well, you're not going to get him any later than that. I assume the top 7 are off and so are Tex, Utley, Hamilton, Howard, and Rollins. Then, the differences get a bit fuzzy there. For me, the aim from the outset would be to get a power bat and a 5-cat hitter combo going and then adjust that approach after the first 11 picks if need be. Then again, there's also some chance at nabbing Gonzo at the next turn, which makes taking Fielder somewhat of a moot point.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 370)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby dmbjeff » Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:42 am

rookies and cream wrote:Question for you guys...

Let's say the top 13 are off the board and you have pick 14. Your first round draft pick was a 1B with pop (Tex or Howard). Who are you taking at 14 and why?

Why grab a 1B so early? Get a power/speed guy like Rollins or Kinsler at a postion of scarcity 11th. You can grab a 1B later on and the drop off from Howard to Gonzalez isn't as large as Rollins to Jeter. Then at 14 you can grab a power bat and perhaps Howard or Tex falls that far. Depending on your league,some one might reach for a SP or ignore 1B since it had good depth, it could happen.
dmbjeff
College Coach
College Coach

Postby RedSoxNation04 » Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:56 am

dmbjeff wrote:
rookies and cream wrote:Question for you guys...

Let's say the top 13 are off the board and you have pick 14. Your first round draft pick was a 1B with pop (Tex or Howard). Who are you taking at 14 and why?

Why grab a 1B so early? Get a power/speed guy like Rollins or Kinsler at a postion of scarcity 11th. You can grab a 1B later on and the drop off from Howard to Gonzalez isn't as large as Rollins to Jeter. Then at 14 you can grab a power bat and perhaps Howard or Tex falls that far. Depending on your league,some one might reach for a SP or ignore 1B since it had good depth, it could happen.

It's just not likely...
RedSoxNation04
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker
(Past Year: -15)

Postby rainman23 » Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:43 am

I tend to agree. (I haven't read much of this thread, so sorry if anything I say here has already been beaten to death.) I'm drafting at the 12-13 spot. If the first round goes as expected, I plan on grabbing Utley or Kinsler with one of my choices. And with the second, I could very easily go for a Prince Fielder. Looking at some of the more immediate options on your MDP list (very handy, btw, thanx) -- well, we can toss Arod. We've got guys like Holliday, Langoria and Pedroia that, imo, people are just drafting a little early. We've got three pitchers -- I'm not as militant as some at avoiding pitchers early, but 13th overall? Probably not. We've got Beltran and Soriano -- guys that have proven to be up and down over the years -- I could convince myself to go after Beltran, but Soriano...not a chance. That leaves us with Berkman -- a guy who has some of his own "every other year" kind of history -- but who I like a lot. And then we're to the Fielder, Manny, Morneau, Lees of the world. And I believe that Fielder, in particular, is undervalued. He got off to a slow start last year, but finished with about 4 strong months. Still very young. If I'm choosing between Fielder and Berkman -- it's not really a contest. If the first round goes as I expect it to, I could very easily take Prince Fielder with my 2nd round pick. Like the other guy said, there don't appear to be a lot true mashers out there right now. If one of them's 25, in that lineup...what's NOT to get excited about?
rainman23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -8)

Postby MissingOakley » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:47 pm

Would it be easy for you to post a spreadsheet of the updated Yahoo ADPs only?
MissingOakley
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -4)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Deleted

Postby METS 24 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:02 pm

Deleted
Last edited by METS 24 on Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
METS 24
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 98)

Postby Yoda » Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:04 pm

The issues with ADP/MDP is that it is dependent the site conducting the survey. Each site has its own pre-ranking and a lot of people tend to stick to it. So I can see the value of using a Yahoo only ADP. If that is the case though, then you can just go to the website and don't need to request a copy in Excel.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -153)

Postby CubsFan7724 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:20 pm

In their new live draft Yahoo already displays the ADP of the player.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -16)

Postby rookies and cream » Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:41 pm

MissingOakley wrote:Would it be easy for you to post a spreadsheet of the updated Yahoo ADPs only?

I guess I could do this, but you could also do what Yoda suggested (going to the site directly). PM me if you still want this and I'll send you something after my next update, which will likely be on Thursday or Friday.
rookies and cream
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -160)

Postby dmbjeff » Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:40 pm

this thread should have been sticky'd. since its not and so awesome, thought it should be topped. i look forward to your new rankings thurs or friday. drafting sunday and will be a huge tool for me.
dmbjeff
College Coach
College Coach

PreviousNext

Return to Cafe Hall of Fame