Return to Cafe Hall of Fame

2009 Median Draft Position (MDP) Report (Updated 4/1/09)

Re: 2009 Median Draft Position (MDP) Report (Updated 2/28/09)

Postby rookies and cream » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:39 am

BeanTown wrote:
Trojan Pony wrote:This is great. Replaces a lot of work for me. This has probably already been asked, but is there any chance you might expand it to 375 players or something? All of the leagues I play in are over 300 players deep and most are in the 360 ballpark. If not, thanks anyway, top 300 is still awesome, but that would be super appreciated. ;-D

I second this :-)

Question: Is Ben Sheets at 175 a little strange? Admittedly I'm just getting ramped up on my draft day prep but this seems like a high spot for a pitcher that may not even play in 2009. Is this really indicative of where he's going in drafts on average?

Ben Sheets is the biggest faller this update and will continue to fall further next update. 175 is definitely not where he's going...
rookies and cream
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -160)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The Mighty Trow » Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:03 pm

rookies and cream wrote:
Ben Sheets is the biggest faller this update and will continue to fall further next update. 175 is definitely not where he's going...

I agree. In fact, I don't think I've seen him drafted at all. But I stick to 10-team leagues.

Can't thank you enough for this, rookies. My draft is this Saturday and this helps my confidence going into it ;-D
The Mighty Trow
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -3)

Postby CadensDad » Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:48 am

gonna bump this up
“Never argue with a idiot, because first they will bring you down to their level. Then beat you with experience.”
CadensDad
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -38)

Postby rookies and cream » Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:32 am

Next update will be a little later this week, likely Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday. An article should be coming out this week as well with some further trends and analysis. ;-D
rookies and cream
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Postby duckbillgates » Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:15 pm

I'm about to test a strategy in a mock with this. Basically using MDP as my rankings and making all of my draft picks from the top 10-20 players available on the list

I'm thinking this should keep me from reaching more than a round for anyone and allow me to lap up any players that are falling.

I'll let you know how it works. Any thoughts on the strategy?
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others."
— Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
duckbillgates
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Yoda » Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:21 pm

duckbillgates wrote:I'm about to test a strategy in a mock with this. Basically using MDP as my rankings and making all of my draft picks from the top 10-20 players available on the list

I'm thinking this should keep me from reaching more than a round for anyone and allow me to lap up any players that are falling.

The only problem is that you might load up on a certain position too early. For instance, there is a lot of SPs going in the middle rounds and if you strictly follow the ranking then you'll end up with more than you need.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -153)

Postby duckbillgates » Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:35 pm

Yoda wrote:
duckbillgates wrote:I'm about to test a strategy in a mock with this. Basically using MDP as my rankings and making all of my draft picks from the top 10-20 players available on the list

The only problem is that you might load up on a certain position too early. For instance, there is a lot of SPs going in the middle rounds and if you strictly follow the ranking then you'll end up with more than you need.

Definitely true. I'm hoping that wiggle room I'm allowing will keep this from becoming too big of an issue.

Mind you, I'm not necessarily always taking the top guy available. I'm hoping I won't hit a situation where the top 10 available are all starting pitchers ...
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others."
duckbillgates
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby rookies and cream » Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:43 pm

duckbillgates wrote:
Yoda wrote:

Definitely true. I'm hoping that wiggle room I'm allowing will keep this from becoming too big of an issue.

Mind you, I'm not necessarily always taking the top guy available. I'm hoping I won't hit a situation where the top 10 available are all starting pitchers ...

Which site are you mocking on? My article coming out this week will be identifying undervalued and overvalued players from each site by using to ADP/MDP discrepancies.
rookies and cream
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby duckbillgates » Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:57 pm

rookies and cream wrote:
duckbillgates wrote:
Yoda wrote:

Which site are you mocking on? My article coming out this week will be identifying undervalued and overvalued players from each site by using to ADP/MDP discrepancies.

Trying one of these new Yahoo mocks. Entered the MDP as my pre-rankings, so it should be easy to follow.
duckbillgates
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby rookies and cream » Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:04 pm

Players to target on Yahoo:

Matt Holliday
Bobby Abreu
Joey Votto
Andre Ethier
Brad Hawpe

All grossly underranked...
rookies and cream
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Cafe Hall of Fame