Return to Baseball Leftovers

Cafeholics Challenge 2009 - Filled

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Cafeholics Challenge 2009

Postby Big Pimpin » Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:19 pm

Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -487)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby wkelly91 » Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:28 pm

What constitutes a move? Activating a DL player? Trading a player? Or just picking up a player? :-?
wkelly91
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -18)

Postby J35J » Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:39 pm

wkelly91 wrote:What constitutes a move? Activating a DL player? Trading a player? Or just picking up a player? :-?

Just FA and WW moves.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -42)

Postby J35J » Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:46 pm

So my question to you Snakes, and everyone who "may" dislike these settings is how many leagues are you going to be in next year? 1, 2, 5+? If you already have a handful of leagues whats wrong with playing 1 of them with different settings? I know I personally like a few different settings and of the 3-4 leagues I play in I don't think any of them have the same settings....so I don't think anyone is saying this is the only way to play or even the only way we play...its just one way...and a way you'd be suprised to find is enjoyable in its own right.

Ahhh not that it matters....A Fleshner Fantasy is in....all the holics are in....The Cow has ran away....

jlm, I like your enthusiasm. Do you still want to give this a try?
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby kab21 » Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:48 pm

the wierd thing is that people will complain about not having a bench, but if there is a bench then they will load it with pitchers and maybe one hitter.
My website - The World Is Not That Big
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 108)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:51 pm

Snakes Gould wrote:2. with no bench and possibly only 3 DL spots, a max move limit such as 50 seems to be double punishment for teams that end up having a ton of injuries.

I had a good share of injuries on one team last year in a 50 move limit and I still wound up under my limit. Many of the leagues I've participated in have instituted 50 move limits and I find that they suffice in 1) limiting churning and 2) allow for enough moves so that rationing isn't extremely necessary.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 370)

Postby Yoda » Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:56 pm

50 moves is 2 moves per week. That is more than enough.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -153)

Postby Art Vandelay » Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:15 pm

Snakes Gould wrote:1. i think most of us play fantasy baseball (sports) because we like simulating what it would be like to run our own teams and having a max moves doesnt translate well for me. if there's a problem, i want to fix it asap, and not think well hmmm i might want to make a move 3 weeks from now, so ill hold off.

How many real MLB teams immediately go out and fix whatever problems may arise asap without having to weigh and consider how it will impact the near (and distant) future of the team? I'm sure there are quite a few teams each season that have an injury and would like to call someone up right away to replace them, but don't want to start their clock, so they call someone else or fill with a bench player. It's fine if you like to be able to have unlimited moves so you can immediately fix issues and drop and add as many players as you like until you find someone who works out, but let's not pretend that's closer to real baseball than being required to consider and think about all your moves in depth before making them.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -11)

Postby J35J » Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:36 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:
Snakes Gould wrote:2. with no bench and possibly only 3 DL spots, a max move limit such as 50 seems to be double punishment for teams that end up having a ton of injuries.

I had a good share of injuries on one team last year in a 50 move limit and I still wound up under my limit. Many of the leagues I've participated in have instituted 50 move limits and I find that they suffice in 1) limiting churning and 2) allow for enough moves so that rationing isn't extremely necessary.

;-D

Yoda wrote:50 moves is 2 moves per week. That is more than enough.

;-D

Art Vandelay wrote:
Snakes Gould wrote:1. i think most of us play fantasy baseball (sports) because we like simulating what it would be like to run our own teams and having a max moves doesnt translate well for me. if there's a problem, i want to fix it asap, and not think well hmmm i might want to make a move 3 weeks from now, so ill hold off.

How many real MLB teams immediately go out and fix whatever problems may arise asap without having to weigh and consider how it will impact the near (and distant) future of the team? I'm sure there are quite a few teams each season that have an injury and would like to call someone up right away to replace them, but don't want to start their clock, so they call someone else or fill with a bench player. It's fine if you like to be able to have unlimited moves so you can immediately fix issues and drop and add as many players as you like until you find someone who works out, but let's not pretend that's closer to real baseball than being required to consider and think about all your moves in depth before making them.

;-D
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers