Return to Baseball Leftovers

Giants sign Affeldt

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Giants sign Affeldt

Postby Tavish » Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:17 pm

MikeeDee wrote:Affeldt, now there's a bust that a lot of people tend to forget about. I think I remember back in maybe 01 or 02 how BP wrote that he'd win a Cy within 5 years. He was in the Giants system then, they had three pitchers commonly believed to be part of the best future rotation. Kurt Ainsworth was one, Affeldt the other, and i believe John Patterson was the third. All of them were at least in AA at the time and considered can't miss prospects. It just goes to show you that pitching prospects are incredibly hard to project.

You must be thinking of a different Affeldt.
Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -510)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby GiantsFan14 » Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:20 pm

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/free-agent-bargain-jeremy-affeldt

with the prices that relief pitchers have been fetching recently, this looks like a good signing to me.
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -57)

Postby mweir145 » Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:24 pm

Big Pimpin wrote:
mweir145 wrote:I don't really consider 4M a year for a marginal reliever with a history of controls problems a very good deal. He had a 1.31 WHIP last season, and it's not like that was some kind of fluke either (1.48 career). A team like the Giants would be much better off spending that cash improving another area.

Dave Cameron says he's "probably the most underrated relief pitcher in the game." Maybe that changes your mind about whether or not you like the fact that he thinks Halladay is good. :-B ;-)

People can't agree on everything, now, can they?

I've read his article, and I'm still skeptical that Affeldt will do what he did last year again (a season that wasn't even that good, anyway).
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: -320)

Postby Big Pimpin » Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:06 pm

mweir145 wrote:People can't agree on everything, now, can they?

I've read his article, and I'm still skeptical that Affeldt will do what he did last year again (a season that wasn't even that good, anyway).

This from the guy that takes it as a personal affront when anyone disagrees with him? !+) :-b
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -486)

Postby mweir145 » Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:11 pm

Big Pimpin wrote:

This from the guy that takes it as a personal affront when anyone disagrees with him? !+) :-b

That's not true at all. Plenty of people have disagreed with me on countless issues, and I don't hold it to them personally. For example, I don't agree with the majority of your political views, but I don't hate you for being conservative. :-D
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby Big Pimpin » Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:13 pm

mweir145 wrote:
Big Pimpin wrote:

That's not true at all. Plenty of people have disagreed with me on countless issues, and I don't hold it to them personally. For example, I don't agree with the majority of your political views, but I don't hate you for it.

Just giving you a hard time. Quit chirpzing me bro. :-D

Whatever that means. !+)
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -486)

Postby mweir145 » Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:20 pm

Big Pimpin wrote:
mweir145 wrote:
Big Pimpin wrote:

That's not true at all. Plenty of people have disagreed with me on countless issues, and I don't hold it to them personally. For example, I don't agree with the majority of your political views, but I don't hate you for it.

Just giving you a hard time. Quit chirpzing me bro. :-D

Whatever that means. !+)

Do I see some jelly? Fo real dawg?

I still can't believe you thought he was me, I couldn't be funny or write like that if I tried. :-b
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby MasterX1918 » Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:26 pm

MikeeDee wrote:Affeldt, now there's a bust that a lot of people tend to forget about. I think I remember back in maybe 01 or 02 how BP wrote that he'd win a Cy within 5 years. He was in the Giants system then, they had three pitchers commonly believed to be part of the best future rotation. Kurt Ainsworth was one, Affeldt the other, and i believe John Patterson was the third. All of them were at least in AA at the time and considered can't miss prospects. It just goes to show you that pitching prospects are incredibly hard to project.

Are you thinking of Jesse Foppert?
MasterX1918
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: -10)

Postby MikeeDee » Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:32 pm

MasterX1918 wrote:

Are you thinking of Jesse Foppert?

I so am it's not funny. :-X That's what I get for posting here while at work. Sloppy thinking/writing. :-P
He once hit a ball between my legs so hard that my center-fielder caught it on the fly backing up against the wall.

If Satch (Paige) and I were pitching on the same team, we would clinch the pennant by July fourth and go fishing until World Series time.
MikeeDee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -9)

Postby MasterX1918 » Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:13 pm

wow, I made a big shot in the dark also.
MasterX1918
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: -10)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers