Return to Baseball Leftovers

Writing Talk

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Writing Talk

Postby menyak » Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:03 pm

Just let me some up what I've grabbed from this thread:

WILL DO
- Move article discussions to Leftovers (just did that a minute ago, let me know in case it doesn't work for future publications). Having said and done that, maybe we want to tweak that a little - post the Start & Sit teaser to the Start & Sit forum instead of leftovers? Make those threads stickies or annoucements so they don't get knocked off the front page after half an hour? Leave the article discussions forum alive, but put shadow topics in there?
- Add number of readers to each article
- Develop a competition system similar to the Cafe's games, with monthly winners, tags, winner icons, and a season champion

SHOULD DO
- Get us an official blog of some sort. Either have an official "star" blogger, or send the WebHamster to the front and have various Cafe members lend him a hand.
- Rework the structure, e.g. create better categories.
- Make the author names clickable to a profile page that contains more articles by the same writer
- Add Cafetars
- Add links under the articles, where readers can find similar articles (or "Readers who enjoyed this one also enjoyed...")
- Assign a Field Manager to pamper our writers

MIGHT DO
- Give the Cafe's secret blogging system some more thought and love - currently it's just sitting there, not even the spammers seem to really like it, which is an insult. :-[
- Add a "thread of the day" or "breaking forum news" to the front page (basically requires a working procedure on how to determine that thread)
- Add a weekly cartoon (provided we find someone to draw one :-B )

NOT SURE
- Create the one and only, original and FREE Cafe mug (an actual object that you can use to drink coffee or simply place beside your screen) and make it known that the only way to get it is to write an article for the Cafe
- Totally overturn the rank system we have (the one with the five balls). Change everyone to zero and give back a ball for every article someone writes. (I'm sure everyone will dig this. !+) )

Let me know if I missed anything! ;-D

This kinda reminds me that we'd also need incentives for editing. Maybe make it known who edited the article and removed all the tpyos. Also, didn't we give editing rights to all Cafeholics, or is that just something we wanted to do? :-? I find mistakes in the articles all the time, and it really just takes a couple of seconds to hit the edit button, correct something and click "save." B-)
"Never argue with an idiot. People won't know who's who."
menyak Beginner
General Manager
General Manager

WebmasterCafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -520)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Simulacrum » Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:35 pm

I will draw the weekly cartoon. I would enjoy it. ;-D

I really like the fantasy mug award idea. Very nice. ;-D

Hammy's blog is a great idea, moderators/admins should have blogging rights. Hammy's blog could also be a mouthpiece for other members that you approve, Menyak.

I also volunteer to create a FBC Flash intro, slideshow, etc, something with a little bit of motion and pizazz. Any kind of Flash piece that you decide you'd like on the front page I'll put together for you. ;-D I'm not a writer, I don't think or work in words, so I can't really help there. But I am more than willing to help out with the visuals and graphics.
2008 Cafeholics Pond Scum Champion
Future Champion of 2009 Cafeholics Masters
Simulacrum
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Chief Pixel PusherCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -167)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby KCollins1304 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:26 pm

BP makes some good comic strip type illustrations. The one Lofunzo has in his sig always makes me smile.
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -50)

Postby Simulacrum » Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:26 am

BP has mad skillz, agreed. :-)

Beep, you wanna try your hand at making a comic strip for the cafe? Two is better than one, we could rotate weeks or something.
Simulacrum
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Chief Pixel PusherCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter

Postby Madison » Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:06 am

menyak wrote:post the Start & Sit teaser to the Start & Sit forum instead of leftovers? Make those threads stickies or annoucements so they don't get knocked off the front page after half an hour? Leave the article discussions forum alive, but put shadow topics in there?

Hoping the S&S takes shape on this side, but sure if it will yet, but making it a sticky in the Start & Sit forum is an interesting idea. ;-D And I like the idea of shadow topics in the Article Discussions forum as well. ;-D

Menyak wrote:Also, didn't we give editing rights to all Cafeholics, or is that just something we wanted to do? :-? I find mistakes in the articles all the time, and it really just takes a couple of seconds to hit the edit button, correct something and click "save." B-)

That one never really got decided. There were both benefits and disadvantages to it and we kept sticking the decision on the back burner as more important stuff kept taking our attention. :*)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -5140)

Postby DVauthrin » Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:05 am

Madison wrote:
DVauthrin wrote:Another idea is creating a sticky topic that would serve as a suggestion box for those with ideas but don't wish to write. A member of the cafe could post a suggestion on a subject they would like to learn more about in that fantasy sport, and the writers would be asked to check the box on a consistent basis and write articles that fill their request.

Not one suggestion since it went up (July 10th, 2006). :-b

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=225855

Football side's thread has been busier:

http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=236931

Basketball has even reached page 2:

http://www.fantasybasketballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=20704

But all in all those are some very interesting ideas. I've got all kinds of notes jotted down and things to kick around, so many thanks to everyone. :-)

If anyone's got more, definitely add them! ;-D No such thing as "too much feedback" right now. :-)

That's what you get for suggesting something without doing fact checking before hand.
hook em horns, go stros
DVauthrin
Basketball Scribe
Basketball Scribe

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 51)

Postby menyak » Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:43 am

DVauthrin wrote:
Madison wrote:
DVauthrin wrote:Another idea is creating a sticky topic that would serve as a suggestion box for those with ideas but don't wish to write. A member of the cafe could post a suggestion on a subject they would like to learn more about in that fantasy sport, and the writers would be asked to check the box on a consistent basis and write articles that fill their request.

Not one suggestion since it went up (July 10th, 2006). :-b

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=225855

Football side's thread has been busier:

http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=236931

Basketball has even reached page 2:

http://www.fantasybasketballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=20704

But all in all those are some very interesting ideas. I've got all kinds of notes jotted down and things to kick around, so many thanks to everyone. :-)

If anyone's got more, definitely add them! ;-D No such thing as "too much feedback" right now. :-)

That's what you get for suggesting something without doing fact checking before hand.

Well it's interesting - kinda proves my theory that any given feature we have is unknown to 90% of our members, and makes me wonder once again what we can do to improve that quota. :-b
"Never argue with an idiot. People won't know who's who."
menyak Beginner
General Manager
General Manager

WebmasterCafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -520)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby JTWood » Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:37 am

menyak wrote:Well it's interesting - kinda proves my theory that any given feature we have is unknown to 90% of our members, and makes me wonder once again what we can do to improve that quota. :-b

Uh oh... You sure you want to open that can of worms? Site functionality and features are a completely different discussion compared to just getting more people to write articles. :-o :-o :-o

You need to give people a reason to want to visit the home page. I know I come here for the forums, so I set all my bookmarks to jump past the homepage and land on the forum listing. I've often wondered why that page even exists, because I'm quite confident that I'm not the only person that bypasses that page.

Even when I do get to the homepage, the layout doesn't suit my liking. I think it's the ads. The small text under the "welcome" and right-side vertical channel don't appeal to me, either. The page ends up feeling cluttered. My eye isn't drawn to anything on the page. Also, I have no idea how old any of the articles are. I don't know if I'm looking at a headline from July or April. In the end, I find myself actually wanting to avoid that page.

I understand that most of what I'm saying right now is my personal taste and probably doesn't represent a majority of the visitors to this site. But I figure that you really can't have too much feedback, right?

Actually... I work next to our Usability department. They're a bunch of human factors engineers with graduate degrees and PhDs. They review every product our company can come up with, from web sites to page apps to cells phones with credit cards built into them, to see if they function in a manner that's consistent with how the human mind thinks and behaves. I could definitely get one of them to give your concerns a quick going over if you'd like. They're a friendly lot. :-b

Are you interested in some "professional" feedback? :-)
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -255)

Postby bigken117 » Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:43 pm

JTWood wrote:Even when I do get to the homepage, the layout doesn't suit my liking. I think it's the ads. The small text under the "welcome" and right-side vertical channel don't appeal to me, either. The page ends up feeling cluttered. My eye isn't drawn to anything on the page. Also, I have no idea how old any of the articles are. I don't know if I'm looking at a headline from July or April. In the end, I find myself actually wanting to avoid that page.

The polls don't attract your attention :,-(
http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/E/Jacoby-Ellsbury.shtml
http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=24
http://twitter.com/#!/baseballcafe
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Fantasy-Baseball-Cafe/117034715055181?sk=wall
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -1076)

Postby Simulacrum » Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:26 pm

No one else has commented JT, but I sure don't think that professional feedback could hurt anything. ;-D
Simulacrum
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers