Return to Baseball Leftovers

Nick Swisher Traded to the Yankees (Merged)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Nick Swisher Traded to the Yankees (Merged)

Postby Noggy » Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:47 pm

AussieDodger wrote:No, I think they would put Swish in CF and try to sign Tex for 1B. Melky/Gardener would be Plan B.

If they sign Teixeira, I could also see them using one of their other corner outfielders in a trade to bring in a CFer. It's really too soon in the offseason to try to predict a lineup.
Noggy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -7)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BronXBombers51 » Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:51 pm

AussieDodger wrote:

BronXBombers51 wrote:What? Swish would play first. Matsui cannot play the field.

1B- Swisher
LF- Damon
CF- Melky/Gardener/someone else
RF- Nady
DH- Matsui

No, I think they would put Swish in CF and try to sign Tex for 1B.
Melky/Gardener would be Plan B.

I wasn't taking Teix into account. I don't think this really inhibits their chances of signing him. As you said, they can put Swisher in CF or split time between LF/CF with Swish, Damon and Melky/Gardner.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -297)

Postby kab21 » Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:54 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:I wasn't taking Teix into account. I don't think this really inhibits their chances of signing him. As you said, they can put Swisher in CF or split time between LF/CF with Swish, Damon and Melky/Gardner.

Damon and/or Matsui will inevitably be injured at some point. Problem solved.
My website - The World Is Not That Big
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 108)

Postby SecretAgentMan » Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:09 pm

Yeah apparently Cashman the Dumb figures he needed to improve us by replacing the 250 hitting 1b with the 219 hitting 1b.

...or moving a 219 hitting guy into CF to replace the assortment of clowns that played the position last season. When Swisher is hitting 230ish and K'ing 1 in 4 ABs come June, people will be complaining how Cashman the Dumb is stuck paying this guy some 22 M through 2012. Not that that is a huge amount of money by Cashman the Dumb standard (hey Swisher is no Pavano or Igawa),but why bother with another stiff?

They gave up little...and they got what they paid for imo.
SecretAgentMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Response Team LeaderFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 2675)

Postby hwiggen » Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:27 pm

If you are a Yankees fan you do not want Swisher anywhere near CF next year. He can't play the position, even though he played the position often last year. He doesn't cover much ground and doesn't read the ball well at all and then he throws to the wrong base in an effort to make up for it. I've heard 1B is his best position but he's not very good there either (IMO).
The Yankees very well may have won this trade (I don't know much about the minor leaguers they gave up) but don't be too optimistic about Swisher's versatility. He'd be best at DH.
hwiggen
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -15)

Postby KCollins1304 » Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:35 pm

hwiggen wrote:If you are a Yankees fan you do not want Swisher anywhere near CF next year. He can't play the position, even though he played the position often last year. He doesn't cover much ground and doesn't read the ball well at all and then he throws to the wrong base in an effort to make up for it. I've heard 1B is his best position but he's not very good there either (IMO).
The Yankees very well may have won this trade (I don't know much about the minor leaguers they gave up) but don't be too optimistic about Swisher's versatility. He'd be best at DH.

He's a gold glover compared to Giambi.
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -50)

Postby Noggy » Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:51 pm

SecretAgentMan wrote:Yeah apparently Cashman the Dumb figures he needed to improve us by replacing the 250 hitting 1b with the 219 hitting 1b.

...or moving a 219 hitting guy into CF to replace the assortment of clowns that played the position last season. When Swisher is hitting 230ish and K'ing 1 in 4 ABs come June, people will be complaining how Cashman the Dumb is stuck paying this guy some 22 M through 2012. Not that that is a huge amount of money by Cashman the Dumb standard (hey Swisher is no Pavano or Igawa),but why bother with another stiff?

Joke post?

If somebody thinks batting average and strikeouts are the most important measures of hitting, they have no right to call anybody dumb.
Noggy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -7)

Postby Yoda » Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:06 am

SecretAgentMan wrote:Yeah apparently Cashman the Dumb figures he needed to improve us by replacing the 250 hitting 1b with the 219 hitting 1b.

You give Yankee fans a bad rap.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -153)

Postby AquaMan2342 » Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:11 am

Noggy wrote:

Joke post?

If somebody thinks batting average and strikeouts are the most important measures of hitting, they have no right to call anybody dumb.

JACK CUST SUCKS
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -120)
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Postby AussieDodger » Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:19 am

Your post is a terrible post because,

1 - Swisher won't hit .219 next year, more like .250-.260 + an OBP of .360ish.
2 - His OBP and OPS will be quite valuable in the offense-barren CF spot.
3 - Cashman is better then you think he is.

Cashman is soooooooo under-rated. With all the cash and Steinbrenner meddling it masks how good he can be.

;-D
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -37)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers