Return to Baseball Leftovers

Some SS rankings

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Some SS rankings

Postby Halo Homers » Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:34 pm

Here's how I would rate them

Tier 1

Hanley - 1st Overall
Reyes - Mid first round
Rollins - MId second round. There is a big drop off after Rollins. I think owners might pick him end of first round for that reason. I see. .275-110-20-75-40

Tier 2 (ADP 50-70)

Drew - Opporunity to perform in elite range this year. Could be a steal.
Young - He played with a factured finger starting in June, and it effected him greatly in August and September, as it got prgressively worse. I hope owners consider him third tier, as I think he will be a steal.
Jeter - I think there is one more great year left in him. Might be this year.

Tier 3 (ADP 90-110)
Furcal - Depends on health and where he ends up. Monitor in spring training. Had disc surgery on back. We be very motivated, as he is a free agent who wants a three to four year deal. Dodgers offered two years. I would not be surprised if he signed a one year deal and went out (if healthly) and had a monster year.
Tulo - I know many are high on him, but hard to look past that pathetic first half. Too inconsistent?? A Rockies hitter that actually hit better on the road.
Peralta - I got him last year in draft position 150 and was very happy. I don't think I'll be that lucky this year.

Tier 4 (130-150)
Theriot - I am surprised not to see him on the list. A .300 hitter who will score 100 runs and steal 30. Could do a lot worse
Hardy - Agree with inconsistency comments.
Tejeda / Greene - Your roll of the dice guys this year.
Halo Homers
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1297
(Past Year: -24)
Joined: 22 Oct 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Some SS rankings

Postby The_Show » Sun Nov 09, 2008 4:47 pm

I think that's too high for Jeter. He definitely still has some good solid years ahead of him, but I'm not sure about great. But then again after seeing what Mussina did this year, I guess anything is possible.
Last edited by The_Show on Sun Nov 09, 2008 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The_Show
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
CafeholicGraphics ExpertWeb Supporter
Posts: 1235
(Past Year: -31)
Joined: 24 Mar 2008
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: The Swamp

Re: Some SS rankings

Postby AquaMan2342 » Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:52 pm

Halo Homers wrote:Here's how I would rate them

Tier 1

Hanley - 1st Overall
Reyes - Mid first round
Rollins - MId second round. There is a big drop off after Rollins. I think owners might pick him end of first round for that reason. I see. .275-110-20-75-40

Tier 2 (ADP 50-70)

Drew - Opporunity to perform in elite range this year. Could be a steal.
Young - He played with a factured finger starting in June, and it effected him greatly in August and September, as it got prgressively worse. I hope owners consider him third tier, as I think he will be a steal.
Jeter - I think there is one more great year left in him. Might be this year.

Tier 3 (ADP 90-110)
Furcal - Depends on health and where he ends up. Monitor in spring training. Had disc surgery on back. We be very motivated, as he is a free agent who wants a three to four year deal. Dodgers offered two years. I would not be surprised if he signed a one year deal and went out (if healthly) and had a monster year.
Tulo - I know many are high on him, but hard to look past that pathetic first half. Too inconsistent?? A Rockies hitter that actually hit better on the road.
Peralta - I got him last year in draft position 150 and was very happy. I don't think I'll be that lucky this year.

Tier 4 (130-150)
Theriot - I am surprised not to see him on the list. A .300 hitter who will score 100 runs and steal 30. Could do a lot worse
Hardy - Agree with inconsistency comments.
Tejeda / Greene - Your roll of the dice guys this year.


Some good analysis, but you completely neglected Alexei Ramirez.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Posts: 7732
(Past Year: -120)
Joined: 19 Sep 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Re: Some SS rankings

Postby Halo Homers » Sun Nov 09, 2008 6:17 pm

AquaMan2342 wrote:
Halo Homers wrote:Here's how I would rate them

Tier 1

Hanley - 1st Overall
Reyes - Mid first round
Rollins - MId second round. There is a big drop off after Rollins. I think owners might pick him end of first round for that reason. I see. .275-110-20-75-40

Tier 2 (ADP 50-70)

Drew - Opporunity to perform in elite range this year. Could be a steal.
Young - He played with a factured finger starting in June, and it effected him greatly in August and September, as it got prgressively worse. I hope owners consider him third tier, as I think he will be a steal.
Jeter - I think there is one more great year left in him. Might be this year.

Tier 3 (ADP 90-110)
Furcal - Depends on health and where he ends up. Monitor in spring training. Had disc surgery on back. We be very motivated, as he is a free agent who wants a three to four year deal. Dodgers offered two years. I would not be surprised if he signed a one year deal and went out (if healthly) and had a monster year.
Tulo - I know many are high on him, but hard to look past that pathetic first half. Too inconsistent?? A Rockies hitter that actually hit better on the road.
Peralta - I got him last year in draft position 150 and was very happy. I don't think I'll be that lucky this year.

Tier 4 (130-150)
Theriot - I am surprised not to see him on the list. A .300 hitter who will score 100 runs and steal 30. Could do a lot worse
Hardy - Agree with inconsistency comments.
Tejeda / Greene - Your roll of the dice guys this year.


Some good analysis, but you completely neglected Alexei Ramirez.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Given that it's likely he moves to SS, your right. I go 3rd tier right with Tulo. I think both guys have some quesiton marks. What happened in September anyone know? Moving to SS full time effect his hitting?
Halo Homers
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1297
(Past Year: -24)
Joined: 22 Oct 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Some SS rankings

Postby Scooter1027 » Sun Nov 09, 2008 6:47 pm

I'm surprised to see how down some seem to be on Hardy. He just put up two nearly identical seasons back to back averging out to .280, 25 HR, 84 R, 77 RBI. The only thing really missing there is the SB. This year he was better than last, and he's entering his age 26 season. He should still be getting better. He's not a fluke, he was a 2nd round pick and a highly regarded prospect. I'd take him over the overrated Tulo. I do like Drew quite a bit though, that's a tougher one. He had a fine season and could break out big. But he's basically another Hardy, with more R, fewer HR/RBI, and the same low SB total.
Scooter1027
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Cafeholic
Posts: 1121
(Past Year: -3)
Joined: 16 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Some SS rankings

Postby San D » Sun Nov 09, 2008 6:57 pm

Halo Homers wrote:Tier 2 (ADP 50-70)

Young - He played with a factured finger starting in June, and it effected him greatly in August and September, as it got prgressively worse. I hope owners consider him third tier, as I think he will be a steal.


Good thought in Young. Playing hurt at the end of the year lessened his stats and people are underrating him. However, he'll help a lot in avg, runs and RBI over most of the other SS when playing without injury next year. Texas will score a ton of runs to make sure his counting stats stay high. I see him as a nice bargain in 2009.
San D
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 1495
(Past Year: -4)
Joined: 29 Aug 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Some SS rankings

Postby kab21 » Sun Nov 09, 2008 7:04 pm

OneLoveBoomer wrote:Ryan Theriot will bat .310 and steal 25-30 bases next year. He'll pull in 90-ish runs, with maybe 2 coming from the homerun ball.

A good plan for 2009 at SS is:
--Draft one of the above-mentioned "hit-or-miss" guys
--Draft Theriot as backup.
--If your first pick misses, be happy with great average and very decent speed coming from your SS spot.


Theriot won't hit .310 next year. He hit .271 in the minors and had a somewhat lucky .307 last year (.339 BAPIP). The other problem with him is that he got thrown out almost 40% of the time last year (similar percentage in the minors). With his total lack of HR's and RBI's, he needs more steals than that to be rosterable in all but the deepest leagues.

.285, 85 R, 2 HR, 40 RBI, 22 SB's - thankfully he walks alot and can maintain a good OBP and stay on the field.
My website - The World Is Not That Big
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
Posts: 5372
(Past Year: 108)
Joined: 24 Nov 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Some SS rankings

Postby Yoda » Sun Nov 09, 2008 7:05 pm

Scooter1027 wrote:I'm surprised to see how down some seem to be on Hardy. He just put up two nearly identical seasons back to back averging out to .280, 25 HR, 84 R, 77 RBI. The only thing really missing there is the SB. This year he was better than last, and he's entering his age 26 season. He should still be getting better. He's not a fluke, he was a 2nd round pick and a highly regarded prospect. I'd take him over the overrated Tulo. I do like Drew quite a bit though, that's a tougher one. He had a fine season and could break out big. But he's basically another Hardy, with more R, fewer HR/RBI, and the same low SB total.


Agreed. I don't see how Tulo should be ranked over Hardy. Hardy is an injury risk tho.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 21191
(Past Year: -153)
Joined: 21 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 15th green...

Re: Some SS rankings

Postby San D » Sun Nov 09, 2008 7:17 pm

Yoda wrote:
Scooter1027 wrote:I'm surprised to see how down some seem to be on Hardy. He just put up two nearly identical seasons back to back averging out to .280, 25 HR, 84 R, 77 RBI. The only thing really missing there is the SB. This year he was better than last, and he's entering his age 26 season. He should still be getting better. He's not a fluke, he was a 2nd round pick and a highly regarded prospect. I'd take him over the overrated Tulo. I do like Drew quite a bit though, that's a tougher one. He had a fine season and could break out big. But he's basically another Hardy, with more R, fewer HR/RBI, and the same low SB total.


Agreed. I don't see how Tulo should be ranked over Hardy. Hardy is an injury risk tho.


Tulo batted .291 with 24 HR, 99 RBI and 104 runs in 2007 as a 22 year old. He slipped last year due to injury. He's younger than Hardy and has better pedigree being a 1st round pick and 6th or 7th overall. Plus, he showed improvement in strikeout rate in 2008. He is risky, and I am not targeting him, but I see a strong case for ranking him above Hardy. I agree it could go either way though due to risk level.
San D
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 1495
(Past Year: -4)
Joined: 29 Aug 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Some SS rankings

Postby Yoda » Sun Nov 09, 2008 7:23 pm

San D wrote:
Yoda wrote:
Scooter1027 wrote:I'm surprised to see how down some seem to be on Hardy. He just put up two nearly identical seasons back to back averging out to .280, 25 HR, 84 R, 77 RBI. The only thing really missing there is the SB. This year he was better than last, and he's entering his age 26 season. He should still be getting better. He's not a fluke, he was a 2nd round pick and a highly regarded prospect. I'd take him over the overrated Tulo. I do like Drew quite a bit though, that's a tougher one. He had a fine season and could break out big. But he's basically another Hardy, with more R, fewer HR/RBI, and the same low SB total.


Agreed. I don't see how Tulo should be ranked over Hardy. Hardy is an injury risk tho.


Tulo batted .291 with 24 HR, 99 RBI and 104 runs in 2007 as a 22 year old. He slipped last year due to injury. He's younger than Hardy and has better pedigree being a 1st round pick and 6th or 7th overall. Plus, he showed improvement in strikeout rate in 2008. He is risky, and I am not targeting him, but I see a strong case for ranking him above Hardy. I agree it could go either way though due to risk level.


That is fine. It is just that he was never a power hitter and frankly, I just don't see him hitting 24 HR any time soon. I could be wrong but to bank on him returning to 07 level is simply not prudent. Plenty of players hit their peak early and then level off.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 21191
(Past Year: -153)
Joined: 21 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 15th green...

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests

cron