Return to Baseball Leftovers

Some SS rankings

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Some SS rankings

Postby San D » Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:07 am

horatio wrote:Short stop is such a thin position that I'm considering ranking Jimmy Rollins in my top 10 just so I don't have to settle with any of the lesser shorts.

My preference for the shorts stop goes like this, but I'm so unexcited by the bunch that I expect to just wait until about the 120th pick of the draft to see what's there.

Michael Young, Peralta, Alexei, Drew, Tulowitzki, Jeter, Hardy, Aviles, Tejada, Orlando Cabrera, Theriot.

While I'd tweak your rankings, your point is good. After Hanley/Reyes/Rollins, you could make cases for any of those shortstops. I like some better than others but all of their values will end up pretty close. Add in Furcal, a bounce back year from Renteria if he goes to the NL, a decent second year from Lowrie, Escobar taking a step up in Atlanta, etc and shortstop is very deep in mediocrity. If I don't get one of the top three, I may punt, pick up some studs from other positions, and grab a shortstop late. ;-D :-o
San D
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -4)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Yoda » Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:43 am

Why does everyone rank Tulo so high?
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -153)

Postby San D » Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:14 am

Yoda wrote:Why does everyone rank Tulo so high?

- He was looked at as a high pick last year due to a nice 2007
- He lost time to a quad injury so it likely depressed his power stats and BABIP when he came back
- He's young and showed improvement in BB% and huge improvement in K%

There is a lot of risk with him with injuries, the variability of youth, and his lineup bashers (Holliday, Atkins) possibly getting traded but he looks good compared to the many mediocre SS options after the first three and this is raising his ranking in many peoples' minds.
San D
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -4)

Postby pokerplaya » Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:29 am

Diamond Miners wrote:I've been following a few mock drafts and rankings and so far this is how the top 12 SS have been drafted on average.

1. Hanley
2. Reyes
13. Rollins
65. Tulo
73. Drew
80. Jeter
99. Hardy
104. Peralta
110. M.Young
119. Furcal
147. Tejada
167. K.Greene

I've seen Aviles go as early as 153, but on average 193. Depending on your league's settings, if Alexei is eligible at SS (he played 16 games), he went at 56.

Based on this, I'd be targeting Furcal and Tejada. They look like decent value at those spots.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -231)

Postby AquaMan2342 » Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:38 am

It's because he plays for Colorado. Nothing more, nothing less.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -120)
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Postby OneLoveBoomer » Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:10 pm

Ryan Theriot will bat .310 and steal 25-30 bases next year. He'll pull in 90-ish runs, with maybe 2 coming from the homerun ball.

A good plan for 2009 at SS is:
--Draft one of the above-mentioned "hit-or-miss" guys
--Draft Theriot as backup.
--If your first pick misses, be happy with great average and very decent speed coming from your SS spot.
OneLoveBoomer
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: -15)

Postby kab21 » Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:00 pm

Some good discussion that's needed to sort out this mess. Here's my take on this. Somehow I don't think there will be a 40+ gap between SS selections but I already have Drew ranked a little to high imo. And I do like Drew the most out of Hardy and Tulo. But they are all very close imo.

Hanley (top 3)
Reyes (4-6)
Rollins (16-20)

Drew (60-75)
Hardy (75-90)
Furcal (65-100) - He's really an interesting pick since he can be Reyes-lite if healthy
Tulo (80-90)
Jeter (80-90)
Young (90-110)
Peralta (100-115)
Aviles (120-140)
Tejada (120-140)
Greene (UD in almost all formats)
My website - The World Is Not That Big
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 108)

Postby Yoda » Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:04 pm

Snakes Gould wrote:

because he can hit .300 go 90/90 and crack 20+ hr. all the other guys at or below his level have a negative category, i.e. peralta (avg), theriot (hr and rbi), michael young(hr), etc...

i targeted theriot last season because of his speed and 2b/ss eligibility. he did exactly what i targeted him to do and what i expected him to do. hes a perfect backup plan and he can be had very late in drafts.

I think Tulo is very overrated. I'll let someone else take him in 09. THere is no way I'm picking him in with my top 100 pick.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -153)

Postby The_Show » Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:23 pm

After a strong 2nd half last year, I think Tulo will bounce back next year. He did have some pretty crazy home-road splits in 07, but he actually did better on the road in 08 than at home. But because of injuries, I don't think you can really look too much at 08.

As far as rankings:

Tulo
Furcal
Drew
A. Ramirez
Hardy
Jeter

Furcal is really question mark. If he stays healthy, he can put some great numbers. But when is he healthy?
The_Show
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicGraphics ExpertWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -31)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers